Author Topic: Nice trip  (Read 1029 times)

turbohunter

• View Profile
Nice trip
« on: August 10, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »
Hi guys
Just got back from a combo trip. Went to Hot August Nights in Reno and worked my brothers booth. Lots of nice cars but not that many FE’s. But I talked to a “lot” of guys that were working on FE’s and needed to yak about gaskets.
 Then we went to our old ranch where we have squirreled away some flathead parts that our dad had collected and a couple engines I had purchased.
One is a sbf crate engine I bought. No big deal. Gonna build it up for a yet to be discovered car.
But the other is an absolutely beautiful 292 that I bought from a gent that told me it was out of an F650. The truck was sitting in his yard so I didn’t question. The engine will be a pattern for Ryan’s company to check/make gaskets off of then get built up with newer (Mummert type) parts for more gasket checking/building. No telling where (what car) it will end up.
The flattie stuff will get checked and used/built. There’s an 8BA and an older smaller inch block. Forget if it’s 20 or 24 bolts. We were to busy to catalog numbers at the time. But I’m going to teach myself about them. Long ago Ryan had arranged for a set of Tony Baron heads, all polished up and beautiful. They are in the load though I didn’t take a picture of them. I will, they’re beautiful. Lots of extra parts we’ll check out. Looks like mostly just surface rust on everything.
Also grabbed a Ford 37 frame and a bunch of parts for a future car dad never got to. Gonna build it for/with Ryan. Kind of a dad remembrance car.
So we ended up with a trailer full of good memories/projects to take home.

Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
Re: Nice trip
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 05:56:37 PM »
So is it true that some of the 292's in the heavy trucks had steel crankshafts?...Jim Kramer

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 06:14:25 PM »
Fingers crossed.
I’ve only read it. No experience.
Bet a knowledgeable person chimes in.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 08:53:54 PM »
Hate to disappoint you, and maybe I'm wrong, but those exhaust crossover manifolds are indicative of 272, or regular 292 engines.  A HD truck engine would most likely have had ram's horn exhaust manifolds, governer carb, large stem sodium exhaust valves, etc.  The C2TE blocks were some of the best 292 blocks cast.  Hopefully your engine owner used anti-freeze and the block cylinder liners are still thick.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2022, 05:11:31 AM »
No disappointment MR. Craine.
It’ll still have a purpose no matter what it turns out to be.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 10:15:31 AM »
Cool trip and nice haul Marc!  I'd love to see pics of the trick flattie heads  :D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 10:24:50 AM »
I’ll get those for you asap Bill. I flew home, Ryan had to visit more family and is driving the truck back. When we unload I’ll grab a couple pix. They are delish.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 01:12:57 PM »
Should'a let me know you were out west.

Would have met up with you in Reno...and then gone to the Summit store.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2022, 02:06:56 PM »
Aww crap. Sorry Tommy, my bad. I will tell you right now that we will both prolly go again next year as we are going to pick up my other brothers ‘69 Mustang. He will never get it finished so we told him if he can get it to roller condition we will pick it up, bring it back to Tennessee and build it for him. Should be easy for him as it’s just a shell with suspension right now.
I will try like hell to remember/tell you next year.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 05:53:47 AM »
Hate to disappoint you, and maybe I'm wrong, but those exhaust crossover manifolds are indicative of 272, or regular 292 engines.  A HD truck engine would most likely have had ram's horn exhaust manifolds, governer carb, large stem sodium exhaust valves, etc.  The C2TE blocks were some of the best 292 blocks cast.  Hopefully your engine owner used anti-freeze and the block cylinder liners are still thick.  Joe-JDC
I have a 292 i myself picked from a F600 had those crossover manifolds, and forged crank

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it