Author Topic: oil catch can  (Read 1085 times)

390owner

• View Profile
oil catch can
« on: August 09, 2022, 07:18:49 AM »
I installed an oil catch can on my 79 bronco with a 390 fe engine. The can has a spot on the top for a vent. I did not install it at first and drove about 6 miles. When I got back I checked the oil can an had some oil in the can more than I expected. So I then installed the vent breather on top of the oil can and drove it again about the same distance checked the oil can and not oil in the can. How much vacuum do I need at the pcv? My concern is the engine is now just sucking air in through the vent and not out of the engine.

shady

• View Profile
Re: oil catch can
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 09:14:17 AM »
I thought catch cans were for direct injected engines. I don't think it should be vented. Does the engine have lots of blow-by? I know you were fighting a smoking issue.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:18:13 AM by shady »
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:58:06 AM »
I am having trouble with it sucking oil out the pcv

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 08:52:25 PM »
-must have a sheetmetal baffle under the PCV boss in the valve cover.
-add some stainless steel scrubber material between the baffle and the inside of the valve cover. Chore Boy is a store brand SS scrubby that works well. Just be sure it gets cut down to fit securely and not hang down into the valvetrain. Do not use mere steel material as moisture will cause it to rust.
Bob Maag

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 09:23:57 PM »
Ok thanks

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 07:01:53 AM »
Bob Maag

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2022, 12:46:33 PM »
I run my PCV system with catch can this way....  PCV valve is plugged in front end of  driver's side valve cover and there is a baffle in valve cover there. Hose runs from it  to my 2 stage catch can. 
The vac. feed line runs from base of carb to the oil catch can and there is a filter breather installed in rear of passenger side valve cover providing fresh air draw into the engine.

Air is drawn in at breather and flows thru the crankcase and then oil mist filter out before entering intake manifold. I also use a clear plastic fuel filter in the vac line as a last catch and visible
to see if any oil is getting past the catch can. I drain it about once a month or so based on how much driving is done and might see 2 teaspoons of oil

390owner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 05:59:53 AM »
One more question. Now that my oil catch can is installed and I have a breather on top of the can my vacuum at idle is 12. Is this ok?