Author Topic: Packard out in the sun  (Read 1297 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Packard out in the sun
« on: August 04, 2022, 01:39:38 PM »
Got the Packard out in the daylight today
The carb need some work smoking black and rough idle, Can i send it to Drew? ;D ;D
Now when its out i see where i have to do some adjustments, right tailight is not horisontal
We had new rear springs made but sitting way to high in the rear have to drive for a while
and seat them but i guess i have to de arch them or remove a couple of leaves
But first thing is a good wash so i dont scratsh it

And Bill no hats this time, wife has crushed her ancle so she is in a cast and wheelchair  :(
22 titanium screws a couple of sheetmatal pieces and a rod and a u-bolt

« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:48:17 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Re: Packard out in the sun
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 02:17:31 PM »
Heo - Packard looks great!

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's injury.  Ankles are very difficult to heal, so be patient.  Next winter will also be uncomfortable...  If she needs any spare titanium screws, I have some that the hip surgeon gave me after my last procedure!  Actually, I might use those for my next deck framing project...

Best wishes to you guys!

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2022, 02:54:17 PM »
Heo - Packard looks great!

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's injury.  Ankles are very difficult to heal, so be patient.  Next winter will also be uncomfortable...  If she needs any spare titanium screws, I have some that the hip surgeon gave me after my last procedure!  Actually, I might use those for my next deck framing project...

Best wishes to you guys!

- Bill

thanks Bill

Ouch!! those screws inflikt pain just by looking  at them . She cant have 22 of that size in her leg :o :o

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 04:10:21 PM »
     Your Packard looks very similar to the one ('29 640 roadster) at the last MECUM Orlando auction.  I was watching with considerations of being the bidder if it might have gone begging a little, as due to its' condition, but..........  :(

Scott.

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 09:44:59 PM »
     Your Packard looks very similar to the one ('29 640 roadster) at the last MECUM Orlando auction.  I was watching with considerations of being the bidder if it might have gone begging a little, as due to its' condition, but..........  :(

Scott.

This one is a 633, 7 inch shorter wheelbase and a smaler engine, same body

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 09:00:06 AM »

Scott.

Do you remember the final price?

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2022, 10:47:21 AM »
Nice Packard.
Sorry about the injury to your wife.
The Packard's I owned in the past sit high in the rear even with 60 year old spring's. If you look at picture's from the era most of them are taken from the top down or from the bottom looking up so it is hard to tell how they really sit.
I think when they settle in they will be right but if you don't like the look just remove a leaf or two.
Greg

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2022, 11:39:22 AM »
Nice Packard.
Sorry about the injury to your wife.
The Packard's I owned in the past sit high in the rear even with 60 year old spring's. If you look at picture's from the era most of them are taken from the top down or from the bottom looking up so it is hard to tell how they really sit.
I think when they settle in they will be right but if you don't like the look just remove a leaf or two.
Greg

Thanks Greg

We had a spring factory in Kemi Finland copy the limousine springs, since the chassie had a limousine body.
so i suspect they are a bit to heavy duty but time will tell

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 03:41:55 PM »
Do you remember the final price?

$27.500 + fees, if I remember correctly.   :)

Note: Probably the most one could say was that it was all (mostly anyway) there, as it really was no beauty queen when inspected up close, but one always lies to ones' self of how good it could look, with just a little elbow-grease!   ::)

Scott.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:44:01 PM by pbf777 »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2022, 09:15:21 PM »
So, Heo, how did the Packard make it over to your side of the pond? Any background on the ship or past ownership? And when?

Sorry about your sweetie's accident. Mom had a 7" titanium screw put in straight up a badly shattered ankle so I know the deal. Worked great btw and she never had any issue with it for years.
Bob Maag

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2022, 11:14:24 PM »
Regarding surgical hardware, I have some titanium in my right ankle. It's more than 40 years old, but I can report that it took about a year-and-a-half to be able to walk without a cane for assistance. It's a bit tender when the weather rucks up, but I'm used to it by now. I actually have more trouble with the left side since I leaned that way a bit to help take the load off the healing side.

KS

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2022, 05:30:27 PM »
i
So, Heo, how did the Packard make it over to your side of the pond? Any background on the ship or past ownership? And when?

Sorry about your sweetie's accident. Mom had a 7" titanium screw put in straight up a badly shattered ankle so I know the deal. Worked great btw and she never had any issue with it for years.

Bob
The car the chassie is from was a limousine. Imported by the Official Packard distributor and sold to either the U.S embassy or the Japanese embassy
some conflicting information there.
 Then the L.K.A.B mining company in Kiruna owned it.
 Then the smuggler king of Tornionvalley owned it, in 1940 he had some work done to the engine and on the way home from the repair shop it threw a rod.
 Car was left behind the barn and later the axles was used for some horse wagon.
 Dad saw it first time in the late 50s when he was up there with a timber truck.
 In the late 60s dad was building the new road up the valley and bought it of the kings son....I guess thats the smuggler prince ;D.
 He visited us a few months before dad died and saw it rebuilt
My whole youth we traveled scandinavia looking for parts, We found a Roadster rear axle by accident searching for a 33 Ford
and cracking the oilpan on dads Mercedes in middle of nowhere.
 The guy in the first house where there was someone living told us, your lucky you dont have a Packard as i had cause then the pan would be aluminium...
Okay you dont happens to still have the Packard?
No just a horse wagon with a older Packard rear axle....Was a 6th series with the roadster gearing :o alegedly 2 roadsters sold in Sweden
Borrowing a stickwelder of this guys drunk brother was a story by it self but i think i told it here before

Later we found the sorry remnants of a roadster body in Finland that we used for template to build a new body.
 Actualy the only original sheetmetal is the frontfenders, firewall and hood sides.
 The body, rearfenders, hoodtop, splashaprons is made by me , dad made a lot of new parts.
 As the windshield posts that he first made wooden models out of pictures he took at Hersey then cast in bronze
and so on

« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 05:52:19 PM by Heo »

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2022, 12:19:45 PM »
Wow, quite the interesting story there Heo!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 06:26:06 PM »
Thanks Heo and wow, quite the interesting provenance on that old Packard for sure!
Bob Maag