Author Topic: Shop Floor coatings  (Read 1685 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Shop Floor coatings
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2022, 11:50:44 AM »
Bob, is your floor already poured? I bought my house with the shop already there, (30 x48'), and and when the floor was poured, they used concrete with a primer colored powder mixed in, so the whole floor is a reddish brown color all the way thru. Even when I drilled the anchor holes in the floor for the 2 post lift, the concrete dust was the same color as the floor. And the steel wheels of my engine hoist, floor jack, transmission jack etc, don`t leave any marks.

Yes, already poured, light gray like most concrete floors. Adding a color additive to the truck b/4 delivery is easy and pretty cheap. A number of colors, and shades, are available. BTW, I should have added that the non-working part of my garage and yhe areas not under the two cars was painted with a outdoor gray concrete floor paint (non-epoxy, fairly cheap). Looks good and oil drips under the cars where the floor was not painted can't be affected as these arear are covered only with Thompson's Water Seal for dust control and easy cleaning. 

Hey, nobody said the entire garage floor needs to be covered with the expensive coatings. Here in FL's golf cart communities, some have done what I did: paid to have the golf cart area (3 door garage, one a mini door) done up with the good looking coating and the area leading into the house while leaving the under car areas natural concrete.     
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:28:09 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2022, 08:12:09 AM »
I ran Rustoleum Epoxy in our current 3-bay.  I was meticulous with the prep work and used far more aggressive acid than the citrus powder that comes in the kits.  I also put two layers of top clear coat to lock in the paint chips and added grit to the mix.  It has held up quite well over the last 6 years.

If it ever does start to show signs of degradation and lift, I'm torn between re-doing it with polycuramine or just doing epoxy again.  Some of the polycuramine floor options are jaw-dropping, and it's supposed to be 10-20x more durable than epoxy. 

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2022, 10:00:50 AM »
Here in Sweden tiles are cheaper than epoxy

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2022, 11:53:43 AM »
Muratic acid 1:4 with water gets the job done for etching.  Way more effective than the alternatives.  Rinse, wop with a sodium bicarb solution to neutralize, wash completely and dry thoroughly.  Get the pait roller and those sneakers from the back of the closet that you meant to throw away but didn't, mix the epoxy and get after it.