Author Topic: V Belt tensioner for a FE  (Read 775 times)

Saltshaker

• View Profile
V Belt tensioner for a FE
« on: July 18, 2022, 08:39:22 PM »
is there a V Belt tensioner for a FE ?
Jon

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: V Belt tensioner for a FE
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2022, 06:29:13 AM »
Prybar, pipe, long screwdriver.  Anything rigid enough to pry on the accessory you are trying to tension.  I would suggest you review the procedure for tensioning a V-belt.  Doing it wrong could overload the accessory bearing.

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2022, 08:05:40 AM »
I think the only tensioner I've seen are the AC but that's not what your wanting

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 07:39:24 AM »
The factory V-belt "tensioners" I have seen used on FE engines were of three types.
1) The mechanic physically pulls up the desired tension as they tighten the accessory. (like most alternators)
2) There is a bolt of some type that is turned against a fixed post that moves the accessory thus providing the desired tension. (usually on an emissions air pump, or power steering pump)
3) There is an idle pulley used as the tension device, again mechanically set.

I do not know of an FE engine that was factory equipped with an automatic, spring type, tensioner.

This does not mean you can not install such a device, nor does it mean you will not encounter one on a modified FE powered vehicle.

As long as the tensioner is in alignment, and has the ability to hold the proper tension, I would suspect any type of tensioner would work.