Author Topic: Blown 1964 Comet wreck  (Read 1143 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
Blown 1964 Comet wreck
« on: July 13, 2022, 01:56:07 PM »
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
Re: Blown 1964 Comet wreck
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 05:41:14 PM »
Why didn't he stop when the brakes started fading? Maybe shut the engine off and throw it in park? Parking brake? Guy had a lot of options to try and save it. Too bad, not like anyone is making new 64 Comet sheet metal.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 07:59:23 PM »
he did throw it in reverse or park not sure couldnt tell by shifter. Makes me want to go check my brakes. I had a scary situation with a throttle sticking at the track at 122 miles an hour
Its a bad feeling, alot goes through your mind. Leaves a pit in your stomach.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 08:01:58 PM by Stangman »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 06:03:55 AM »
Driver had bad or non-existent situation awareness. That and being a dumbshit as well! Can hardly believe an alleged car guy could not have done a number of things, as noted, to avoid a serious wreck. Both could have been killed with broken necks when one views how they snapped forward and back w/o shoulder harnesses. Lucky in a way........
Bob Maag

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 06:58:16 AM »
The brakes fading ,was the cars way of rejecting the 632 Scrub between the framerails.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 05:04:04 PM »
he did throw it in reverse or park not sure couldnt tell by shifter. Makes me want to go check my brakes. I had a scary situation with a throttle sticking at the track at 122 miles an hour
Its a bad feeling, alot goes through your mind. Leaves a pit in your stomach.

I believe it had a reverse valve body, but I'm not sure, you couldn't hear the parking pawl buzzing past the drum and the engine revs higher. I agree, it's a lousy feeling but it's rarely un-recoverable. The guy was just an idiot from whats shown in the video. If the throttle was sticking that bad they should have stopped then and fixed it. At the very least they should have stopped when the brakes were hot enough to smell because he's riding them. Just sad such a nice car was wrecked because of short sightedness.

hbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 06:43:45 PM »
well,i know this is not the same,boss 351 in a 66 mustang,home built c4,was costing about 35 mph when i put it in reverse and it went!jacked the back of the car up and rear tires started going spinning backwards.went back to nuetral and all was well,lol.
but it seems he could of put it in reverse,anything but hitting the back of another car!

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 06:21:49 AM »
This feels like a pretty standard situation of "I got this" or "It's not really a problem" because we are used to dealing with issues old cars present.....but then things changed.

The "change" happened when the issues, as presented, went mostly ignored.....probably so as not to disappoint the crew and video shoot more than any sort of errogance or bravado.....again, a place we have all likely been.
We suffer through the issues to complete the task at hand and we intend to look at things when finished.

I'm not saying it is right, but I suspect we have all done this at least once to some extent.

One of the most forgotten aspects of custom car building, or restorations, is sorting the car fully when finished.
Man I have worked on a lot of well restored vehicles, or customized vehicles, that did not receive that last 10% of the job called sorting.

The whole car has been fully redone.
All the parts are new or rebuilt and they should work.
The car worked good when the process started and nothing but upgrades have been performed so things should be better, right?

WRONG!

So many times there are tiny little details that need to be worked out in order for things to be properly sorted, but they often go undone because the car functions as is so it must be good.
Not to mention we are excited to finally drive the thing......Anyone ever drive a 1/2 finished project sitting on something that is not a mounted car seat?.......

In this instance the driver of the car was given a few tells and warnings.
1) Sticking throttle....noticed and acknowledged, but not addressed.
2) Brake issues that required special attention (HUGE red flag with this one) also noted but not addressed

Both of these are issues that should require a stop to check at the very least.
Calmly find the nearest parking lot, side road, or shoulder and take a look.....now.
You may find a tow home is the wise choice, even if that is a huge pain in the buttinski.

During the crash sequence I did see the driver shift into some sort of PARK position and you can clearly hear the parking pawl rattling.

I don't know if this car had an emergency brake or not, I suspect not, but it was not tried if it did......Gotta have a functioning emergency brake.

I suspect this car had some sort of ignition switch and I suspect turning off the engine would have had a helpful effect....maybe not fully preventing the crash, but taking away the power would certainly alter the events as they took place in the video.

As far as what should have happened once the crash sequence was under way.....I'm not going there because arm chair quarterbacks are always "smarter" than the person who was literally involved. Lots of thoughts during those few panic seconds and what you choose is 100% of that moment.
When we make lesser choices during those moments we gain experience....the hard way.

I would bet the majority of us will be checking their brakes, fluid level, and E-Brake tension prior to venturing out next time.

It's easy to get complacent with this stuff. I mean really, how often do we have an emergency? A full tilt, shitting your pants emergency?....Not very often for the majority I would suspect.

It is worth it to make sure the car is safe to drive, If for no other reason than to protect the innocent people in the van from this video.

The van people were just out taking care of errands and their lives were changed by the crash too.
Their car was taken away and that results in a big hassle to make whole again.
They likely had some injuries that cause Dr. visits, which is also their time, money and energy they must expend to get right again. Even if reimbursed in the end they used their time, money and energy getting there.

driveamerican

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2022, 09:38:07 AM »
Just my opinion but it seems the more automated they make cars and trucks the worse drivers get I seen him go direct to park then twist the wheel back and forth pump the brakes twice straight up inexperience caused this on the part of owner and passenger how many times have you looked at a friend and said I ant getting in that pos. I have never had anything with 1300 hp but i have hung throttles more than i want to admit with broken mounts home build linkage not checking air cleaner for clearance the worst i ever had to do was gas it up and turn the wheel because it was hot wired but i never hit anything thankfully. I did do better than throw it in park and drive into another car though.