Author Topic: Cam Thrust Plate Thickness  (Read 533 times)

19cougar68

• View Profile
Cam Thrust Plate Thickness
« on: July 07, 2022, 12:01:28 PM »
Assembling my engine with a Comp Cam hydraulic roller cam.  Went to check the end play and found no real measurable amount with my dial indicator set up.  The cam rotates without binding with the Cloyes timing gear installed so I know it is not a reversed cam plug or hitting the thrust plate OE screws.  So before I do something I regret I wanted to ask, should I just remove .003 to .005" thickness from the thrust plate and that will solve my problem of no end play and be in an acceptable range?  I know someone that has a precision grinding machine that could remove this small amount or is milling it down more commonly done?  Thank you, Jim R

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Cam Thrust Plate Thickness
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 12:55:18 PM »
I always have to remove material from the thrust plates.   I buy them in quantity and have them surface ground to .158". 

BTW, I would suggest using a new, steel thrust plate when you use a steel (roller) cam.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

19cougar68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 03:01:32 PM »
Brent, Thanks for your reply.  Did not think about the thrust plate material with the steel roller cam.  Hopefully you can sell me a steel one.  I will email you.  Thanks!  Jim R.

HR427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 04:45:29 PM »
I bought a POP roller bearing setup, and the plate was machined already to accept the bearings, still needed .004 taken off...