Author Topic: Distributor's  (Read 1438 times)

Sand hauler

• View Profile
Distributor's
« on: July 06, 2022, 03:05:48 PM »
Is there any advantage to running a MSD distributor instead of the dura spark with a aftermarket cd box ?
Have a pertronix 2 plug and play billetright now and noticed a intermittent miss between 6000&7000 rpm when dynoing.
Have narrow it down to the distributor in my 449stroker.
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

e philpott

• View Profile
Re: Distributor's
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:32:35 PM »
only advantage to the MSD and may or may not be a big one is the ability to change timing curves just by removing the cap

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 05:22:52 PM »
I don't have a technical answer, but I can tell you that an MSD "ready to run" distributor ran in my vehicle for 2, and 11 minutes total, and dealing with MSD was like dealing with an insane person. I sent it back after each failure. First they acknowledged the problem, then told me they couldn't fix it because they didn't have any parts, then they said they couldn't re-use the existing distributor (with new parts) because it had been drilled too many times (once by them, once to put on the new and correct gear), then they returned it saying there was nothing wrong with it, then it ran for 11 minutes. They then claimed they couldn't replace it because MSD didn't have any MSD distributors.

My point is that with a Duraspark you won't have any factory support, but you won't be paying for it or expecting it.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 06:25:14 PM »
MSD uses the Duraspark pickup, so the only real difference is how you alter the advance curve.  As noted, it is far easier to do on the MSD since it uses the GM configuration of the weights, springs, and limiter all under the rotor.  And you can get GM or Chevy advance springs, weights, and limiters just about at the grocery store.  They are everywhere.  The Duraspark is no different from a Ford points distributor in that all of the top parts have to come off to get to the centrifugal advance mechanism in the base of the distributor.  And nothing is available to tune your curve except one inadequate spring kit.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 08:59:27 PM »
Personally, I think MSDs quality has gone downhill in recent years, I have had the same MSD 6T ignition module (with a $30.00 junkyard Duraspark FE distributor) in my Fairmont for over 30 years with zero issues, but I had 2 newer MSD 6AL boxes fail in a 10 year period in my 85 Mustang, as well as a pickup unit in the Mustangs MSD billet distributor. If it was me, my choice would be to sent a FE Duraspark distributor, to someone like Faron or Wes to be recurved on a distributor machine, based on your application. I had Wes do the Duraspark distributor for my 59s 428, very happy with it.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 11:19:03 PM »
I just push a button to change ignition curve with my Ice Ignition can tune it on the fly too
has not missed a beat yet
https://www.iceignition.com

427Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 12:13:27 AM »
I am a dura spark guy and have a tote full of dist..I have around 5 or 6 FE ones...I am a street engine guy and curve them myself..No shortage of parts..Last engine build i did (hyd roller 289) the new MSD dist was a dud right out of the box..Only reason i have one in my 67 is its a clone of the T/A race cars..Sad ...because i do like MSD stuff..I will not touch Pertronix...I agree with Rory...send it to one of the Dist guys..
1968 Mustang Fastback...427 MR 5spd (owned since 1977)
1967 Mustang coupe...Trans Am replica
1936 Diamond T 212BD
1990 Grizzly pick-up

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 07:01:03 AM »
You might get lucky and have no disappointments with an MSD distributor and/or box for your application. I would say the odds are 70/30 in your favor. The boxes especially seem to be sensitive.
How about having to sometimes phase the rotor? Can you imagine if OEM stuff required that much attention to run right?
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 07:55:16 AM »
I am a dura spark guy and have a tote full of dist..I have around 5 or 6 FE ones...I am a street engine guy and curve them myself..No shortage of parts...

Where are you getting your parts?  All I've every seen are the kits with a couple springs.

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 08:10:58 AM »
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Dura spark it is .I have a couple on hand. So will get it set up. It's what I went with on my son's highboy with the pertronix digital hp cd box .no issues with it but he doesn't turn it past 6000. Hence the question.will post the specs over on the Dyno page from before the upcoming dist swap later today
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2022, 10:00:59 AM »
>MSD uses the Duraspark pickup,

I disagree, the MSD pickups LOOK like a Duraspark but have a much stronger signal output.  I don't run stock Duraspark parts.  I have a lot of MSD equipment and haven't had any issues with any of it.  Aftermarket/replacement Duraspark pickups - not so much. 

After all that - a duraspark is fine for any street or mild performance application.  Have run them out of the junk yard with a aftermarket box (MSD, Mallory, Accel, etc).  The thing to watch for is mechanical advance.  It's not unusual to find a stock that has a bunch of mechanical advance.  Dial in 14 initial and find 50 total - so be aware of that. 

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 12:07:31 PM »
Thank you Chris I appreciate that . That's been my dilemma, if the build gets hotter, then does diffences increase?
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2022, 02:29:17 PM »
Not that I'm aware of.  If you get too hot, go crank trigger and have no worries LOL!  I used a Duraspark base with a locked advance plate, MSD "blue" pickup and small "HEI" style cap on my 302 tunnel ram setup, 6000~6200 no issues.  The hall effect is just a trigger, so the box doing the work is going to be more important IMHO.  I use the 7AL series, which is very expensive and robust. 

HR427

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2022, 04:40:36 PM »
I picked up a reman duraspark, and locked out the timing.  Went to 7200 rpm on the dyno without a hitch.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 05:35:15 PM »
>MSD uses the Duraspark pickup,

I disagree, the MSD pickups LOOK like a Duraspark but have a much stronger signal output.  I don't run stock Duraspark parts.  I have a lot of MSD equipment and haven't had any issues with any of it.  Aftermarket/replacement Duraspark pickups - not so much. 

Someone reading that could be lead to believe the strength of the magnetic pickup output has something to do with electrical energy potential from the coil.  The pickup's purpose is the same as points; to interrupt the electrical field in the coil.  Though that is actually done from the control box, which receives its command from the magnetic pickup.  The pickup, like points, is a mere switch and nothing more.  It is possible to have a weak pickup output that will give an irregular trigger.  Most of the time, that is due to an incorrect air gap between the pickup and the reluctor.  The further that distance, the weaker the signal output.  This weak signal is usually experienced in engine starting as the speed of the reluctor is insufficient to generate a strong trigger signal.  If the signal is strong enough to trigger the control box, that is as good as it's going to get.