Author Topic: Installing FT oil pan on my FE in a pickup  (Read 898 times)

AmerigoHauler

• View Profile
Installing FT oil pan on my FE in a pickup
« on: June 04, 2022, 05:23:35 PM »
Hello all,

I will be pulling the 428 out of my F-350 do some work that needs for it to be out of the way.

Since it will be out of the truck, I have an FT "breadbox" oil pan that I was thinking of putting on because I already have it and I would like the extra oil capacity. My truck is 2wd, so this is supposed to fit and clear the steering gear with no problems. I've seen photos and my own measurements support this.

I don’t race the truck. It is used to haul my camper around. But it is quicker than the usual type of truck this pan was meant for ;)

So, my question is: For my usage, does extra baffling need to be added or would I be OK just installing the pan and pick up as is? (I know I need to drill and tap the block web for this style pickup).

Thanks for any help, Erich Weber

Erich Weber
1974 F350 Super Camper Special
2004 Mercury Marauder

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Installing FT oil pan on my FE in a pickup
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 07:45:59 AM »
Because FE's have deep-skirted blocks, unlike SBF's, SBC's, BBC's, etc. I'd put it on w/o the extra baffling. 
Bob Maag

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 04:57:32 PM »
I've run one on my 69 f100 for nearly 30 yrs.  I'm pretty sure I added a couple baffles to keep the oil under control better.  Ya, I do "race" the truck to an extent.  At least beat on it occasionally while on running around.

It is no deeper then a stock pan so clearance is not an issue.

Looking back now, it was kinda a moot point to install it.  It just cost double to change the oil compared to the stock pan and I'm not sure there is really any real reason to install it?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 05:00:31 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

AmerigoHauler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 02:16:49 PM »
Bob and Larry,

Thank you very much for the replies, reasons and thoughts regarding this. I do have my reasons for wanting to install this so at this point I probably will.

Thanks again, Erich
Erich Weber
1974 F350 Super Camper Special
2004 Mercury Marauder

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 05:58:24 PM »
and those would be? other than looks and bragging rights

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 10:10:57 AM »
I put one on my 449 stroker that going in my 75 F100. I added a couple of gated baffels  a inch or better in front of pickup tube just for insurance
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM