Author Topic: Best valve cover gasket  (Read 1836 times)

ogasman

• View Profile
Best valve cover gasket
« on: June 01, 2022, 03:51:11 PM »
Have a set of repop Lemans valve covers with neoprene gaskets.  I see fresh oil on the top of the exhaust ports after a run.  What gaskets do you like, and how do you install.  Glue, no glue.  Grease or no grease.  Any other place that could put oil out in this area?  Looks like there might be a pinhole in the valve cover itself, but not the cause of most of the oil.  (Leaks on both sides)  Should I just JB weld the area, or is there something better.

Thanks
Paul

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Best valve cover gasket
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 04:23:02 PM »
Cork.

Silicone the gaskets to the valve covers and put a layer of thick grease in between the head and the gasket. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 08:02:30 AM »
After trying many different methods and gaskets here is what I think works best.

What you will need:
Fel-Pro VS13049C gasket set.
The Right Stuff sealer (or your favorite)
Vaseline (or some type of grease)

Prep the valve cover seal surfaces to be straight, true, and free from anything, including greases and oils.
Be sure the transition gap between the intake/head is as flat as possible and the intake gasket is trimmed flat too. A slight protrusion of the gasket is okay, but if you can get it flat it is best.
I modified a pair of side cutters to cut off this little tab of the intake gasket flush with the valve cover seating surface.

If you can not get it flush you can tap it down nicely with a prepped hammer.
"prepped" means the head of the hammer has been smoothed and polished so it can mash the gasket flat without imparting any marks from the hammer head into anything else.
This is how bodywork hammer heads are prepped.

Test fit the gaskets....they are not always correct out of the box.

Install your favorite gasket sealer on the valve cover over the entire "U" (the area including everything but the top rail along the intake manifold)
This area gets glued because the gasket sticks out into the void of the valvetrain area and becomes a shelf where oil sits.

Because the oil sits on this shelf it WILL eventually find a way out....The sealer helps to keep the oil inside.

I like to use "The Right Stuff" sealer for this part of the job, but apply just enough to coat, not ooze out everywhere.

Other than sealing the "U" part of the gasket to the valve cover I use no other sealer.

On the gasket surface that will meet the head/intake rail I smear Vaseline. I put it on like I am rubbing it into the gasket. Remove any extra that has rolled over the edge.

The Vaseline keeps the gasket from sticking to the head/intake rail for any future valve cover removal. I have reused this steup multiple times with no leaks or troubles.
The cork gaskets will eventually break down and begin to fail, but that takes years.

Before the gasket sealer dries I install the valve cover and torque just enough to set the gasket on the valvecover, but not fully torqued yet.
Let that dry per the sealers directions.

Once dry torque the valve cover bolts enough to squeeze the gasket and you are done....for now.
After a couple heat cycles retorque the bolts and things should be leak free until you mess with them again.
I like to check the torque from time to time, when I am under the hood for some reason, just to make sure they have not become loose due to gasket crush.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 09:09:19 AM »
Not sure if they make them for your application, but surprising to me was that the composite Edelbrock valve cover gaskets sealed my cast covers on my dragster.  And trust me, there's was a LOT of oil pumped up top on that engine over that 660' run.  They were installed dry.  These worked with an "old school" black wrinkle M/T type cover with lip so I needed something with a bit of give at the edges.  The FelPro rubber parts didn't work well.  The next build will have restrictor pushrods and covers with a flat mating surface so I'll likely still use the Ed cork-composite but do like Brent: glue them to the cover and either grease or dry fit to the head.

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 09:19:09 AM »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2022, 05:17:52 AM »
Anyone ever try these? https://realgaskets.com/product/valve-cover-gaskets-42/

Ouch, $50 for a set of valve cover gaskets?  I don't think I like that big glaring red color looking at me either LOL

The cork gaskets for $12 work really well.  I use them on every FE I build, including ones that pull over 15" of vacuum with a dry sump pump. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2022, 06:52:30 AM »
MAHLE Original VS38308R

Dr Mabuse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 10:47:20 AM »
I prefer studs, almost anywhere I can use them. With valve covers, it helps to align the gasket and cover holes.

DWKgalaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 12:16:15 AM »
I am using the REAL GASKETS now. I put a thin bead of Permatex Ultra Black on the valve covers, that are fabricated aluminum, and a bead at each end around the "U". I am using studs and nuts. These are going on Pro Maxx heads and Edelbrock performer RPM intake. I'm still fighting a small leak on both lower corners at the rear. No problem at the front or at the intake/head junction. So, not satisfied with them. I might try Brents suggestion.

winr1

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2022, 08:52:34 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-82180-Maximum-Resistance-Silicone/dp/B0002UEN1U/ref=asc_df_B0002UEN1U/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312198323731&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18004912134857906948&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027821&hvtargid=pla-432399660406&th=1

I use the above to glue cork gaskets to valve covers, place the covers on a flat surface till silicone has set

Then put a thin layer of silicone on flat surface and inside surface of gasket and let dry

Put grease on the sealing side of gasket before installing valve cover

Hand tighten with 3/8 extention on a socket ( I use no ratchet )

65/67 factory covers been on my 352 for years and nary a leak, been off and on 3 or 4 times as well

Make sure the rail is straight where the bolts go through and do not crush the gasket by over tightening

Ricky.