Author Topic: Repair or Replace?  (Read 2118 times)

PaulProe

• View Profile
Repair or Replace?
« on: May 27, 2022, 04:56:47 PM »
I have a Shelby alum block w/ TrickFlow heads in a cobra replica. Valve train uses PRW Stainless Rocker system. All has been well for 650 miles till one cylinder decided not to play

This seems to be a common occurrence with the PRW system. My builder said he'd had excellent results with them so I followed his advice. He, unfortunately, passed away during the pandemic so this fix is going to be on me.

Couple questions

1) any confidence that I could just replace the broken arm and all would be well? The car is not driven that hard, the spring pressure isn't that high, nor is the lift.

2) any guys who have experienced this, did you replace or repair? Anyone have a system their not using that I could by a few rockers?

Suggestions?

Paul

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: Repair or Replace?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 07:14:54 PM »
You probably don't want to hear this, but I would just replace them all.  I think it will happen again. 

Back when I first started my business, this was one of the lines that I carried.   I got a lot of complaints from rockers breaking.  I dropped the line.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 07:46:06 PM »
I got a call from another forum member who is not usually online.  He saw your post and mentioned that he'd had a PRW rocker that broke, and also an adjuster.  He said a call to PRW got him a replacement part in just a few days, all he had to do was send them a picture of the broken part.  In his experience they were really good to deal with, and he didn't mention any further problems.  Might be worth a call to them to see if they would just send you a new one...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

PaulProe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 09:46:44 PM »
Jay and Brent,
Thanks for your comments and ideas. I had already sent a post and pictures to PRW, explaining the issue and asking for their input and support.

I guess the two alternatives is to fix the broken one and hope (0-$100, depending on PRW), or replace the system which looks like $1000 rough. Makes for a very difficult decision. Wish the two options were a little closer, financially

Fortunately, the break was clean and it doesn't look like any loose pieces went into the engine. Just wish I had some confidence that there aren't 15 more waiting to do the same thing. I see multiple posts of similar failures and same results. Some replaced just the one and were fine, others replaced the system.

Thanks, going out to look for my crystal ball

Paul

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 11:49:50 PM »
If it's a mild cam to begin with, as you stated, what confidence do you have that it won't happen again? I would replace them with something better, even if it's stock stuff, which never break. Next time it may hang open a valve, and that could ruin your day.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

TJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 02:53:39 AM »
Theoretical question for those with more experience than me… How often do rockers break this early on a tame cam without an underlying cause? 

Probably want to look for a cause and verify there’s no further damage. Check for damaged pushrods, lifters etc.  Definitely check both push rods and lifters in the affected cylinder but check rest of them as well.  Make sure the affected valve is at the right height (I.e not bent and hanging open). Look for signs the push rods are rubbing the intake tunnels,  I don’t think you have to run it hard to break stuff if things aren’t right.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2022, 07:11:16 AM »
Seems to come up weekly across forums and Facebook.  It'll break again.  You have some money in that engine, I'd put a better set and press on.  What if something bound up and popped a keeper or pieces when through an aftermarket oil pimp pickup? It will sting only once to do it right.

Hang them on the wall, or see if you can replace rockers only with a name brand.  I haven't see a set up close to know rocker width and shaft size, but failures almost always are a split at the bottom of the rocker or an adjuster failing, so I'd likely gamble on reusing the shaft if it was a standard size
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

fe468stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2022, 10:56:32 AM »
There appears to be not much "beef" in the area that broke.  Contact Doug at Precision Oil Pumps about a set of his roller rockers.  Looks like your spacers etc are fine.  With 16 new rockers and your existing hardware, it would really be a small price to pay for peace of mind.  He is a vendor here and a stand up guy.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 02:15:14 PM »
Appears to be a nicengine with some good, top quality parts. Do yourself a favor, and get those Chinese bargain basement rockers off of there, before they cause serious damage. Those rockers are notorious for breaking, your engine deserves better rockers.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 02:20:06 PM »
I believe the PRW aluminum ones are better than the stainless. That being said I would not use PRW rockers on a lawnmower engine.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2022, 04:21:55 PM »
I pulled the PRW rockers out before they gave trouble. Replaced the rockers & shafts with Harland Sharp parts and used the PRW stands and shims (they do have shaft end supports). You may need to re shim your rocker stands to acquire correct rocker geometry. This is cost effective.

PaulProe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2022, 09:30:29 PM »
Thanks for the support, guys, I really appreciate it.

Can anyone tell me more about re-using my existing hardware with new "other brand" rockers? Any experience with re-using the shaft? Harland Sharp vs T&D vs Precision Oil Pumps - is one preferred over the others? Does only one work with existing PRW stands?

Hoping to learn from everyone's experience

Sand hauler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2022, 10:15:09 PM »
Can't go wrong with any of those three, including the one ones from lykins motor sports
Bobby-   Carlsbad, NM

PaulProe

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 10:12:37 AM »
One last question for the experienced:

The shafts are .840" dia., the same as the HSharp bushed shafts.

So I can use the PRW stands if I choose to use new Harland Sharp rockers and shafts?

The shafts appear to be OK but there is some bushing wear indicated in just 600 miles/21 hrs run time. If I'm going this far, $300 for new shafts might be cheap insurance. I'd also feel a little more comfortable with the sizing between Sharp shafts and Sharp Rockers.

The geometry was pretty good on the last set - if I keep the stands and just change shafts and rockers, what is the probability of the geometry being off. I don't know if the profile of the two brands of rockers is significantly different or not.

Thoughts and Thanks. My local engine builder passed away last winter and I don't have anyone local to bounce these things off of.

Paul

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2022, 11:27:51 AM »
PRW stands will fit Harland Sharp rockers and shafts. I believe that I removed a small amount of shim under the stands because the rockers have slightly different architecture. Every setup is different so you must check. If you are able, install two ten lb. springs install two rockers and roll the engine through the valve event to check geometry. Something that I forgot to mention is you may need to change to a shorter pushrod length (as I did). Also you don't want the adjusters in the rockers to extend more than a few threads. Just go step by step.