Author Topic: First time 427 owner, some concerns about sounds  (Read 2176 times)

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: First time 427 owner, some concerns about sounds
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2022, 11:03:22 PM »
This car came with the original mufflers but not on the car. The car has Cherrybombs on it now.

Anyone have suggestions for a clutch for the toploader?
I believe you'll find that with a factory flywheel and clutch components, the car will need an 11 1/2 inch disc and plate. That's the way trhey were first equipped. By all means, use a Long-style sert-up.

KS
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 11:05:28 PM by cammerfe »

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
Re: First time 427 owner, some concerns about sounds
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2022, 02:59:59 AM »
I am running a dual friction Centerforce clutch in my Mustang with well over 500 HP. Never one issue. It's smooth, reduced pedal effort and doesn't slip with a no surprise engagement. I saw a few of the purported issued on the "internet"  40 years using them on my Datsun SSS cars and others
I've never had an issue with disengagement at high RPM. ( 6500) My only change from factory linkage was the Mustang Steve heavy duty roller bearing conversion for the pedal support. I ran the same units on my SSS 510 cars. The original clutch in the car was 12" for 1967 with the FE.
The Long style never wore evenly and was extremely hard on factory clutch linkage. The issue may have been pre Dual Friction Clutches.
While you may not like them for drag racing they work phenomenally on street cars.
I heard the same issue with Pertronix units. I have had the same Igniter II on my car. I did lose two coils, never the ignitor in almost 20 years.