Author Topic: First time 427 owner, some concerns about sounds  (Read 2178 times)

428Marauder

• View Profile
First time 427 owner, some concerns about sounds
« on: May 18, 2022, 03:30:38 PM »
Hey guys. Got my Galaxie last Friday. It’s pretty great. I did notice some odd sounds from the motor. One is sort of a thump that might just be me hearing the exhaust passing through. It sort of comes and goes. Also, might just be an old belt but there seems to be sort of a ticking sound that increases frequency with RPM. I tried to capture it with a video, but not sure you can hear it, which is here:

https://youtu.be/MHW5xQlqDUI

First, I will get belt conditioner on the belts and see if it goes away. Hopefully that’s what I’m hearing. Read some other threads and am aware of other possible culprits. Just thought I’d drop in and get this started in case I need to come back here and ask for more help. Maybe it’s just how it sounds? I’m unsure of what cam is in it. Thoughts?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 03:33:59 PM by 428Marauder »

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: First time 427 owner, some concerns about sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 04:32:07 PM »
Sounds can be really difficult to distinguish on video. Mics alter frequencies, and phone mics are bad for that.

Main bearings usually make a sound on start-up, then typically go away when oil hits them. Rod bearings typically make sounds all the time, or at RPM. Wrist pins typically make sounds only when the RPM is increased. None of those seem to be the case here.

First thing I'd do is try to pinpoint the location of the sound. Use a long screwdriver against the ear, or a piece of tubing or something to place against your ear and try to find the loudest area. Having said that, if it's coming from the valve cover area, it sounds as if it may have a loose rocker. Is it a solid lifter engine? Might just need an adjustment, hopefully. I'd pull the cover on the offending side, look for any issues like abnormal wear on the valve tip, loose rocker etc. If it's a hydraulic cam, feel for any spongy rocker movement while shut off and the valve is closed.

Might also be the fuel pump. If the spring is bad or missing, on the arm, they can make some serious racket. The "stethoscope" should find that one pretty quick, if that's the case.

To me, it sounds valvetrain related.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 04:54:32 PM »
I’m not sure if it is solid lifter or not. From other FE videos I’ve watched I’m not sure it is loud enough to be a lifter issue.

ETA: Tried listening on both sides, hear it on both sides, maybe slightly louder on passenger side.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 05:26:09 PM by 428Marauder »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 06:34:31 PM »
At idle it sounds normal for a solid lifter car. When you gave it that small shot of gas that noise sounds like a chain slap or possible fuel pump noise like Doug had mentioned.
You can take the belts off and see if the noise goes away. Who knows maybe the balancer rubber is hanging out or missing. If the noise isnt one of those things you might have to do some
internal engine exploring. ( Bearings,,piston or pins,,). Well lets pray for something simple. What year is the car.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 06:49:36 PM »
1963 1/2 with only 26k original miles. My old man suggested getting some Rislone additive and that might solve the problem. If it does, well then I know what the problem is. He suggested even if it doesn’t, change the oil and add it again. Oil looks clean. I don’t think it’s the fuel pump but it might be. It is probably the original pump.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:56:19 PM by 428Marauder »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 07:03:41 PM »
Well unless its not the original motor its a solid cam motor. I have the same year motor. Dont rev it to high and ruin anything. Better to be safe than sorry.

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 09:34:05 PM »
Previous owner said he used 10w-30 with a Zinc additive. Should be 10w-40, right?

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 05:05:53 AM »
 You can hear the valve train. it's not too bad could be taken up a little. I also hear what does sound like the fuel pump arm. I have had a couple of those on my 427s that were noisy. My 2 running 427s both are really quiet in the valve train. Doug has heard my 56 F100 running at Beaver Springs.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 07:30:50 AM »
Pull the fuel pump AFTER warming it up (to ensure the float bowls are full) and tape up the pump's timing cover boss. Fire it up and see if the noise goes away. It will run for some time btw.
Bob Maag

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 04:30:05 PM »
2nd drive. Took it to show my Dad. 15 miles each way in stop and go traffic and 100 degree weather. Car ran great. Temp got a little past medium and stayed there. Did notice some smells, one of which I instantly recognize as the clutch and another that smells like old radiator water. Next drive will probably be to my mechanic. Ticking is still there but it isn’t loud. You probably wouldn’t notice it if you weren’t specifically listening for it. Thanks for all your help guys!

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 09:39:11 PM »
A factory-new 427 with factory mufflers has a quite distinct "whirr" sound that is a result of the solid lifters. Now throw in the dual quads full open at 4000 RPM or more and you get a sort of crackle noise. When there were new cars around back in '63 and '64, you had no trouble knowing that a performance Ford was 'on it' somewhere close by. You could hear it for several blocks.

KS

428Marauder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 11:59:50 PM »
This car came with the original mufflers but not on the car. The car has Cherrybombs on it now.

Anyone have suggestions for a clutch for the toploader?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 07:14:41 AM »
Long style clutch. Do not get a Centerforce or other diaphragm style of clutch. 
Bob Maag

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2022, 01:21:30 AM »
Why are you poo-pooing the Diapgram/Centerforce clutches?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2022, 06:39:51 AM »
Why are you poo-pooing the Diapgram/Centerforce clutches?

Too many issues of those styles not working correctly. And this is not only with older Fords as other makes have also had issues. Some can be traced to improper installation, the wrong throwout bearing and maybe even poorly made pieces. Some linkages (or settings) can and have caused over-centering and stuck clutches. Regardless, with a Long, one hardly ever hears of issues compared to the woes found on other sites (mainly Chevy). Ford put these clutches in all older Fords for good reason.

One can read all about it here if one has the time:

https://www.google.com/search?q=centerforce+clutch+problems&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS768US768&oq=Centerforce+clutch+issues&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30j0i390l2.12614j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 06:42:46 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag