Author Topic: Clutch (pressure plate) springs  (Read 759 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Clutch (pressure plate) springs
« on: April 19, 2022, 07:50:15 AM »
Anyone got a line or info on where to get clutch (pressure plate) coil springs without having to go through ram, McLeod, ect... ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Clutch (pressure plate) springs
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 08:58:25 AM »
I'd call around for a shop that rebuilds clutches. Even truck clutches. One of them is bound to carry new springs, some of which may work for your application. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=virgina+clutch+rebuilders+near+me&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS768US768&oq=virgina%2C+clutch+rebuilders&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33i10i160.11097j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:00:04 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 11:18:40 AM »
     Local clutch rebuilders are not as common as they once were, but if you google 'automotive clutch rebuilder parts" you'll get a couple of hits.   :)

But now the challenge, and you may be very aware, but if you have decided to grapple the task of re-springing your clutch (I assume this is a 'Long-Style' unit?) for rebuilding or for changing the clamp-load pressure value, then again as I often say: "you're the new engineer"; and 'you're' going to have to establish the suitable replacement components.   :o

This process works very similarly to selecting valve springs for one's cylinder heads: this via establishing the clutch closed position spring installed height and desired spring load value, clutch open position spring installed height and desired spring load value, (don't forget this value is multiplied times the number of springs!  ::) ), then the dimensional fitment requirements within the hat and the pressure ring locating receptacles and so-on.   :-\ 

I'm assuming that the O.E. for your unit doesn't offer what you're looking for, and is the reason you're searching elsewhere; but the parts suppliers, other than the manufacturer of 'your' unit, though they may very well have what you might need, are not going to be aware of the proper components in order to acquire your requirements.   :(

And as another note, I have at times found cylinder head valve springs suitable in certain instances.   ;)

Scott.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 12:42:19 PM by pbf777 »

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2022, 04:35:25 PM »
Brake and Clutch and Cascade friction (both in Washington state) have relined clutches of various types for me. Fleetpride will often do them, but they don't have as much experience with automotive race style clutches.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 07:20:42 PM »
Sorry for the confusion. I am very aware.... I had gotten most of my springs, adjusters, shims, from Ram for many years. Lately I have been sourcing them from black magic because they normally have 60lb, and 80lb springs in stock. They have a good selection of lever shims as well. I was trying to go to the source and skip by the middle man to see if I can avoid any mark up as I need several sets of springs for a few clutch builds. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:24:06 PM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 05:35:01 PM »
If it's just the springs you're after and you know what you want, go to any number of spring manufacturers and have them send you some. Likely there is a min order quantity. I run a lot of older equipment and the mechanical fans on some of my Cats have a coil spring to keep tension on the blade (they're reversible if you push the blade into the hub and twist it) and that spring is NLA from Cat so I had some built. I think it was 500 min order from the place I used. Had them fairly quickly tho which surprised me for a custom order.