Author Topic: Using Automatic Flexplate with 4 Speed Blowsheild to start an engine on stand ?  (Read 1970 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
Oh,wow. Are you saying (you definitely noted) that the gear was fine before then after chewed up? Picture would be great.
Heo, who posted the video said no problem. I wonder if he looked closely at the ring gear to see any abnormal wear. Also how many times was his started. I will probally be starting mine many many times. Starting once or twice may be OK but 20 or 30 times maybe not?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 06:04:25 PM by dozz302 »

Heo

• View Profile
Well i started it two times, one to brake in the cam one to make the video.
And as you hear it starts on first compression. Did it both times as i primed the floatbowls
before first start up so not much risk to chew up the ring gear

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

shady

• View Profile
I did it with a 63 cast bell and a auto flex plate with a bendix starter. Both 153 tooth. Started the engine 5 or 6 times with no funny sounds or problems. To chew up the ring gear, it would have to be making some awful sounds. In my mind (small) having a converter hanging on the flex plate without the support of the tranny input shaft would distort the FP somewhat. You always could borrow a manual flywheel and use it.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

pbf777

• View Profile
I was just wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't use an automatic flex plate......... to fire up an engine on the engine stand.

You just have to be careful as it will rap real quick with a stout engine,

True, but it really is better for the survivability to have a greater mass attached to the crankshaft flange for the reason of dampening the oscillations of acceleration & decelerations due to the intermittent firing pulses thereby lessening the crankshaft twisting and whip  (bending  :o ) effect. 

If I was going to use the flexplate again, I would add the converter.

Remember the flex-plate is reliant on being attached to the torque-converter to not only in many instances to square it up, but also to support the flex-plate from deflecting/bending under the torsional load when the cranking force is applied by the starter motor.

And I'm not sure in what fashion you mean as far as adding the converter, but it would require, if the converter is a complete unit, to properly support the snout/pump end and the internals or you'll really have some "shakin' goin on"   ::)

Scott.