Author Topic: Using Automatic Flexplate with 4 Speed Blowsheild to start an engine on stand ?  (Read 1971 times)

dozz302

• View Profile
Hello, I was just wondering if there was any reason why I couldn't use an automatic flex plate with a 4-speed blowshield to fire up an engine on the engine stand.  I am thinking all the measurements for the starter engagement should be the same for 4 speed and automatic between these parts. Thanks

MeanGene

• View Profile
I have done it, but only with a stock 352, as there is no flywheel effect to slow down the response. Even wonder why sprint cars rap quick? No flywheel

Heo

• View Profile
Have done it, no problem and got film to prove it :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3qCOEWIrJg

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

dozz302

• View Profile
OK Thank you. I thought all the dimensions were the same. I like how you made your gauge pod by bolting to the bellhousing. I never thought of that.

MeanGene

• View Profile
You just have to be careful as it will rap real quick with a stout engine, as in breaking in a cam where you can't rev it up

dozz302

• View Profile
Yes Thanks, I'm just starting an engine that has already been run (not fresh) that I bought that came with flexplate already attached and thought it would just be easier bolting on a Blowsheild rather that a C6 just to run to check everything. 

MeanGene

• View Profile
This is my 65 352-4V on the test stand, auto flexplate with a C5TA bell

dozz302

• View Profile
Have you gotten the 352 in a car and if so how does it run and what did you do to it. I have a complete 1966 352 engine I was thinking about going thru to beat on at the track with the "R" heads. If I did it it would just be basic rebuild headers, aluminum intake, small cam, etc. I would do it for more curiosity just to see how it runs.

MeanGene

• View Profile
I just checked under the valve covers, pretty clean, and put a fresh timing set in it. Ran great on the stand, no smoke or noise. Sold it about a week ago to a gent with a 65 Bird. Those old 352-4V tended to run pretty good

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
You can do it.  I have done it.  But I do not like it. 
A lot of the strength of a flex plate comes from it being attached to the torque convertor. 
Without it being mounted to a convertor it's a "flex plate"....

cjshaker

• View Profile
You can do it.  I have done it.  But I do not like it. 
A lot of the strength of a flex plate comes from it being attached to the torque convertor. 
Without it being mounted to a convertor it's a "flex plate"....

LOL...Barry with the brilliantly simple, yet previously unmentioned tidbit of fact.  ;D
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

MeanGene

• View Profile
Actually, when I pulled the 352 off the stand, the flexplate teeth didn't look good, and it was a little noisy in use- probably from the Barryflex. There's a steel manual flywheel on there now

GerryP

• View Profile
And in a different situation, I don't have a spare manual trans bellhousing.  I use the front half of a gutted C6.

dozz302

• View Profile
Well I never thought about that flex. But with no real load to speak of other than turning the engine over do you think it it would in any manner bend, get tweeked, etc. the flexplate? I do have a flywheel but didn't want to change for no reason. That flexplate is original to the engine and wouldn't want to hurt in any fashon. I could even bolt a converter to it. I think it would fit in the bell?

MeanGene

• View Profile
If I was going to use the flexplate again, I would add the converter. I will try to take a pic of mine later, it was pretty chewed up