Author Topic: FE Power rocker assembly,, ect  (Read 1690 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
FE Power rocker assembly,, ect
« on: March 15, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
Jay,
I have some questions and initially I was going to e mail you but thought some others here may be intrested in your responses.  I suck at small talk so I'll get right to it.
1. What did the rocker arm ratio end up being ?
2. Will it be possible to get replacements,  either individually or perhaps half sets and shafts ? Spares if you will, just in case. Nothing I hate more than being 200 miles from home and not have a spare part that should be in the parts box. I do realize you first need to supply everyone with sets that have purchased the heads but I'm in line for a exstra half set when available. 
3. Has anyone done any porting on the heads yet and made any significant gains ? I know the heads are amazing out of the box but I'm all in on this project and would be interested in getting the works done to the heads, from porting to valve job and assembly. 
4. Could you provide me with the valve specks ? I'm looking at going ahead and getting a set of titanium valves done for the heads.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: FE Power rocker assembly,, ect
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 09:13:00 PM »
Keith, the standard rocker ratio is 1.75, but I can machine them to 1.85 or 1.95 also.  I have not actually done any other than the 1.75s yet; one of the issues is that since I can offer different ratios, when I machine them I would like to mark the ratio on them somehow, and I haven't been able to figure out a good way to do that yet.  It will be very difficult to tell them apart just by looking at them.

I will certainly make replacements available in any form, either individual rockers or paired rockers on the shafts.  The only real issue is getting the investment castings for the rocker bodies.  But hopefully the foundry will have reduced lead times on those soon.  I will keep you in mind for an additional half set.

Joe Craine has ported a set of the SE heads and got 440 cfm with the 2.300" valve.  Joe thought that a bigger valve might help some, so I ordered a set of 2.35" valves and they are currently with Joe's heads at my local shop, waiting for the valve job on the heads with the new valves.  Unfortunately the local shop is buried and hasn't gotten to them yet.  Also, the porting guy at the local shop has a set of the RE heads that he will be trying to port, but he hasn't gotten started on them yet.

I will email you the valve specs - Jay
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 08:01:20 AM »
Maybe a different color anodizing for the special ratio's ? Just a thought

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2022, 09:12:07 AM »
Punch Dots work too...one dot 1.75 two dot ....etc.
Lazer etc....few ways to do it, but you want the best, longest lasting, cheapest way! Sometimes hard to get it all in manufacturing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »
I was thinking about using dots as you describe them, maybe no dots for 1.75:1, one dot for 1.85:1, and two dots for 1.95:1.  That would work, but I'd really like to actually write the ratio on the rockers, like T&D does, so that there isn't any confusion.  Still looking for a good way to do that, so that it is easily visible on inspection with the rockers installed.  The rocker surfaces are all kind of curved, so it's not an easy problem...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
I know it’s an extra process and possibly a third party might get involved, but what about laser etching them?

Small home gamer laser engravers can be had for a few hundred bucks give or take.
Build a fixture to hold a set or 3 of the rockers, pop them in and hit go.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 08:57:08 AM »
Jay, you might find a "vintage" read that to mean manual, pantograph engraver online somewhere.
They take up about the same space as a modern multi purpose computer printer and you can either make, or purchase...or hopefully the used machine comes with them, the plates used for the engraving process.

Make a jig for the rocker, insert the proper plates and engrave the numbers in the rocker.

I know this is an extra step....okay, 16 extra steps, but it would look good and leave no doubt about the ratio

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 07:09:37 PM »
Jay, you might find a "vintage" read that to mean manual, pantograph engraver online somewhere.
They take up about the same space as a modern multi purpose computer printer and you can either make, or purchase...or hopefully the used machine comes with them, the plates used for the engraving process.

Make a jig for the rocker, insert the proper plates and engrave the numbers in the rocker.

I know this is an extra step....okay, 16 extra steps, but it would look good and leave no doubt about the ratio

LOL ,I have one .Very good condition. A friends father used to make custom license plate frames with it at swap meets.
Lance H

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2022, 08:09:42 AM »

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 04:01:43 PM »
Since you already have the CNC, you could engrave on their nice flat sides.

It should take, no more than 2 seconds a piece, when done in rows or grids..
Frank