Author Topic: 496ci Tunnel ram  (Read 6057 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Re: 496ci Tunnel ram
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 11:52:38 AM »
I would agree. A couple 750-780 vaccums would help. I would also cut down the top, get rid of plenum volume and be able to fit under the teardrop hood. Only Fairlane the manifold I made is pretty much like that TunnelRam missing it's top half with some of the webbing cut out between the runners. Instead of a four quart plenum volume it's more like one quart.

Tom.  No way this would fit under a tear drop no matter what I cut out.  Besides that would negate the whole idea of having it out for the world(and me) to see.

I do have a pair of customized 735's on my 428 in my pickup.  I made them for the wagon originally, but the small step boosters made them very touchy in the water box(No two step).  It was either idle or 10K rpm.  I made one pass and took them off.  They work GREAT on my pickup.  Really like them.  I guess I could have borrowed them for day to see if they did any better power wise.

Ross, my season doesn't start til early May.  That is if it is not raining/snowing.
I'll also dig out the cam card and you can see what all the numbers actually are.

Brent,  yes this is a "dump truck" motor that I don't want to have to dig into for a few years so a very spring happy ramp is a good thing.  Totally agree I am not into max effort power, just something I can rely on for years without having to go into it every winter.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 02:58:29 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
First, let me say I love this forum and the FE. I learn a lot here and I try to help people, too.

I've been interested in the TFS heads, for over two years and bought mine from Brent about 6 mo's ago, based on the information I learned mostly on THIS forum.

Back ground:
I've been involved in racing for as long as I can remember. My dad worked for the company that owned the Novi, Indy car, when I was 2 yrs old (1946).

Now, Brent and I have had problems, ever since my first post on this forum so, it always seems to be up hill if I post anything. It usually went like this: Brent says I don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground and then Ross, parrots him, in some way. After I spent $4000 with him, we talked, he offered a apology and I though things would change for the better but, doesn't look like it. If it wasn't so wrong, I'd let this pass but, what he's saying is wrong in his own words.

This is the info I gleaned before I bought these and what my response is based on:

Joe-JDC:
Re: Best actual Ford cast 4V intake found
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »

Any off the shelf/as cast aluminum intake manifold that fits the FE, and flows 338 cfm average matches or exceeds most of the heads available out of the box for the FE.  For years, the HR was the top tier FE, next TP, and then MR, CJ, and all the others,(SOHC excluded)  Today, there are aluminum heads available with CNC programs that struggle to have an honest 338 cfm airflow at any reasonable valve lift.  The KC Stage II heads only flow 338 cfm on my bench at .750" lift, and the TFS actually go turbulent and back up above ~.620" lift to 320ish cfm.  A Pond, KC III, or BBM special CNC program that I have flowed still don't go much higher flow than 345-350 cfm without some tweaking.  They claim 360, 370, or higher, but I have not personally had that flow on my machine.  Jay Brown sent me a BT HR head that flowed 393 cfm IIRC, and that is the best FE head until his new head came along.  So, yes, the "K" Sidewinder would be a very good intake for just about any healthy FE on the street.  For performance, porting a RPM, Victor 427, TFS Track Heat, BT MR, can be opened up to flow 390 cfm and up.  A 300 cfm head needs a 330 cfm intake manifold for the street, and a 310 cfm head needs 340 cfm intake manifold.  A 340 cfm head for race needs a 410 cfm intake manifold.  The TFS Track Heat is the only 4V intake that comes close out of the box to that number, and exceeds it with a simple cartridge roll of the port to match a MR gasket.   Joe-JDC

Blair:
 Re: out of the box Trick Flow heads vs. ported Edelbrocks?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »

The standard Edelbrock casting does not have enough material in the right places.  You can make it flow more, but it will get too big in the process.  The Pro Port casting, as was mentioned above, is a blank sheet of canvas, with plenty of meat to make the right shape.  To surpass the TFS with a small port, a person needs the Pro Port.  I have some that are small and will outflow the TFS significantly, but they do cost more.

The BBMs are better than the regular Edelbrock.  I have a CNC chamber and port that will equal the TFS, which is also cnc ported.  The BBM will be a bigger port, but I think for 482 and larger engines, it is better with the added volume.

The TFS flow is very good out of the box, to about .550 lift, but it has issues with turbulence after that.  My flowbench is a little more sensitive than a Superflow, and it picks up the problem sooner.  A pitot tube to measure velocity around the short turn shows it, as well as the sound when it gets "mad".  The hump in the floor flows good when you just put a radius on the end of the port, but it needs to be flowed with about another two inches of port.......to about the valve cover rail, to really see what is going on.  The TFS head is not bad, but it does not produce power to match the "standard" head flow that most people see.  I am fairly sure that the development was done with just the head only, and not any more extension to simulate the "rest" of the head that is in the intake manifold.  My opinion is that the hump is too abrupt, the short turn is too sharp, and the vane behind the guide is turned the wrong direction.  I have fooled with the port some and some of the issues can be corrected some before the low lift numbers start to suffer.  I think the head is best suited for smaller cubic inch engines with .600 or less lift.  If you are going bigger and more lift, I think the BBM with some loving is better.  In my shop, the next level after a ported BBM with a CNC chamber, is to go to Pro Ports.

Blair:
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »

You can go to the Chevy dealer and buy a GM Performance LSX CNC head and you will have the port.  The only redesign was just what was required to put it in the FE head.  I have flowed one of the GM heads here.  It flows real good.....much better than the FE rendition, but behaves the same as the TFS FE head, and suffers from the same backup issues.  When I first saw the TFS head, I knew I had seen that port before, with the exception of the exaggerated vane in the floor.

blykins:
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »

I've done a hand-full on the same dyno, so it allowed me to do a good comparison between other cylinder head offerings.

The largest engine I've had a set on so far is a 465 inch bracket race engine.   That engine, with out of the box TFS heads and valve springs to match the cam, a solid flat tappet, and 12:1 compression, hit within 20hp (680) of a 465 inch engine with 12:1 compression, a solid roller, and ported (read smaller CSA) 380cfm Tunnel Port heads.  The TP engine peaked at 7000.  The TFS headed engine pulled easily to 7200, with similar durations on the camshafts.  I feel that if the TFS headed engine had a solid roller, it would have been a lot closer.

The smallest engine I've had them on was a 390 and the 390 made 540 hp at 6000 rpm with a hydraulic roller and a Performer RPM on pump gas.

On a 445, the TFS heads made 20 more horsepower than a 445 with BBM heads, with 4° less duration on the camshaft.  Same compression, same intake manifold, etc.

FWIW, these 445's that I'm doing with the TFS heads are making almost as much horsepower and torque as the 482's I used to do with CNC ported Pond heads.

I have seen the same turbulence on the flow bench.  I generally limit the lift to .625-.630" and have a grand ole time.

If I wanted to use an Edelbrock head for a high performance engine, I'd use Blair's Pro Ports.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the extra @.200 lobe duration. You would need to run that by a cam grinder (not Comp), I'd suggest Mike Jones on ST. It may or may not need extra spring pressure, based on the ramps available. If it does need addressing, it could be dealt with with conical springs and/or titanium retainers.

There is more than one fact based opinion out there.

Edit:
I can tell this about valve springs, no one, not even most cam grinders, can tell you exactly what valve spring you need. They can only tell you, what in their opinion is a safe valve spring to use!

You can find out the minimum spring with a Spintron and there is a computer program, that if given all necessary info, regarding wts acceleration rates and rpm can give you a good shot a min spring pressure.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:53:46 PM by frnkeore »
Frank

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 06:27:30 PM »
There's always someone ......

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 08:39:55 PM »
I have said it before, I should know better at 54 years old LOL 

I guess it's time for someone else to post dyno results and hang it out there. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 09:32:57 PM »
Wow....did this go sideways or what..........  ???
I knew some people might want to see what my motor did with a TR installed.  Surely not bragging or complaining about what it made.  Is there better?  Sure is.  Can mine be better?  Sure can.  Does it matter today?  Not at all.

Well, as I promised Ross, here is the cam info:
int   open 30   close 64
exh open 67  close 33
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 09:35:58 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 09:51:44 PM »
Certainly not your fault.  In fact, thanks for sharing, looking at what all of these engines do gives lots of information

Any chance you have the advertised numbers or the lobe numbers?  Lobe numbers would be the cam grind number, usually 4 digits for intake and 4 for exhaust  Those valve events you supplied would be at .050
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2022, 02:31:35 AM »
I apologize, to the the OP and the rest of the forum.

This came about because of less than accurate info posted regarding these TFS heads. I hope no one has a issue with posting the truth.

Also, I'm not a politician and sometimes don't take other people into consideration, when repeatedly poked. 
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2022, 07:38:59 AM »
The thing was, Frank, no one was poking at you.   We were all bench racing.  You took offense to it because someone disagreed with your information, which is NOT EVEN YOUR OWN INFORMATION.  You're the only one I know that gets wadded up because people disagree with information that you QUOTE.  And to beat it all, the quote that you used from me is 2 years old.   It's completely laughable that the information you use to try and prove ME wrong is MY information! 

Lots of things change in 2 years and I'll stand by my post that I do not hamper the heads with low lift camshafts anymore.  I started out using .550-.600" lift cams but you never know what will happen unless you try different things.  Even if the head does change sound at .600-.650" lift, it obviously does not hinder the performance and since that post from 2 years ago, I've tried different camshaft specs, including different durations, different LSA's, different duration splits, and lifts up above .700".   The heads still surprise me and they are my go-to for an aftermarket FE head!  It shouldn't surprise us that, just like an engine dyno isn't really an indicator of absolute performance on the racetrack, a flow bench isn't really an absolute indicator of how a head works on a running engine. 

As for hard feelings, all of my replies to you were not personal pokes.  I'll apologize to you again publicly if you took it that way, but it was not intended that way and I really tip-toed around my responses with the conversation that we had over the phone in mind. 

Now for cam grinders, you may want to talk to Joe Craine about the MJ camshaft he used in his EMC engine.   I also tried one of his hydraulic rollers in a 445ci Windsor about 14 years ago and the results were not good at all.  It was so aggressive that I couldn't get any control of the valvetrain and was completely lazy above 5800-6000 rpm.   It was ground with a 49° MI.........  :doh:   I will agree that Comp Cams probably doesn't have a good handle on what an FE needs due to the valvetrain weights and other specifications, but they produce very high quality camshafts and that's why I use them to grind my own customs. 

No hard feelings, Frank.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:16:46 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »
Those were valve timing at .050

lift .395 int/exh
duration at .050  274 in/ 280 exh
lobe separation 107

That's all I have.
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
Those were valve timing at .050

lift .395 int/exh
duration at .050  274 in/ 280 exh
lobe separation 107

That's all I have.

Those are Comp "CR" lobes.  Middle of the road as far as aggression. 

Advertised durations are 305/311.  That would put your overlap at 94°. 

If you ever get the hunger for another cam, I'd be at 270/282 @ .050", 113 LSA, 108 ICL, with .677"/.695" gross lift. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:59:17 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »
Larry, I know there are a ton of variables like air, traction, temp etc etc, but I hope you update this with some track numbers when you take it out. Just curious what difference it makes in the real world, with no other changes.

I know you said a buddy was making a scoop, which is probably the best performance route, but I'm curious what changes it may make between running with the stacks vs without, or with the scoop, IF you happen to try that. Certainly not trying to push you into doing changes for me though. IF there's any difference at all, my guess would be, in order of best to worst: scoop, then stacks, then open.

Another good thing about the swap....you don't have to bend over as far to do jetting changes..lol
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2022, 11:18:08 AM »
When I post that a head backs up flow, it does not mean it quits flowing air.  The TFS heads can be made to flow ~350cfm with a very simple modification to the short turn on the intake side.  Out of the box, on my SF-600 they begin to back-up flow at ~.620" lift.  That means that they were at ~330-333 cfm @.600", and at .620" valve lift the air goes turbulent to the point the flow decreases to ~320cfm.  It stays turbulent to .800" lift, but flows ~320cfm at .800" lift. 320cfm x .257 x 8 cylinders = 657hp potential, which is exactly where this 496 is on the dyno.  If you can get the turbulence out and the flow to 341 cfm, you will reach your goal of 700 hp.  I just received a new pair of aluminum heads for another Ford engine series, and they have four ports that "back-up" flow at .620" valve lift.  I ported an earlier version of the same head a couple of weeks ago, and the same four ports flowed cleanly to .800" lift.  The Master engine porter that I studied under back in the late '80s made it a point to not worry about a bit of turbulence at high lift, the engine will continue to make power even with a "back-up" of flow.  I have always tried to work it out of a port, and it helps, but I don't get too worried about it unless the cfm loss is more than 10-15 cfm.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2022, 12:02:43 PM »
The Master engine porter that I studied under back in the late '80s made it a point to not worry about a bit of turbulence at high lift, the engine will continue to make power even with a "back-up" of flow. 

Exactly.  That's why the higher lift cams work.  Even if a port stops picking up or goes dirty, a higher lift cam will still allow the head to fill the cylinder, because the cam will allow it to see good flow not only when the valve opens, but as the valve is closing as well. 

Interesting that you see discrepancies across the same cylinder heads as well, Joe.  If you look at the numbers that I let Stan Weiss post, the flow is constant from .600-.700" on that particular set of heads.  I have seen them vary a little between different pairs. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
I apologize, to the the OP and the rest of the forum.

This came about because of less than accurate info posted regarding these TFS heads. I hope no one has a issue with posting the truth.

Also, I'm not a politician and sometimes don't take other people into consideration, when repeatedly poked.

Just an FYI,

It's not being like a politician you need to worry about.

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2022, 01:04:28 PM »

Those are Comp "CR" lobes.  Middle of the road as far as aggression. 

Advertised durations are 305/311.  That would put your overlap at 94°. 

If you ever get the hunger for another cam, I'd be at 270/282 @ .050", 113 LSA, 108 ICL, with .677"/.695" gross lift.

I think you mentioned it earlier .... What would you like to see for  overlap for this combination ?