Author Topic: 496ci Tunnel ram  (Read 6063 times)

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
496ci Tunnel ram
« on: March 07, 2022, 10:16:27 PM »
Ok, here's a little update from my intake changeover this winter.

496ci, 12.5/1 comp, stock TFS heads, Comp roller 274/280 .683 lift, 107 CL(installed at 104), tunnel wedge, 1850 holleys
Made 665 hp at 6600, 621 ft/lb at 4400.

Installed adapter and Weiand tunnel ram.

Made 655 hp at 5800, 636 ft/lb at 4300 with 1850 Holleys.

It picked up torque down low and carried that torque up through the mid range, unlike the tunnelwedge which fell off as rpm increased.  In the big part of the curve it was up 30 ft/lbs over the tunnelwedge until about 6000 rpm where it then started to match the tunnelwedge numbers.  HP was up 15+ through that same part of the curve, but fell off over 6000 rpm to be -10 hp over the tunnelwedge at 6600 rpm.

It took quite a bit of tuning on the carbs to get them set up to run side saddle over backwards.  The side to side A/F was way out in left field.  After 6 gals of 112 and 5 hours of attempting to strip the bowl screws out of those 1850 we have it dialed in darn near perfect.  I think we had 18 pulls on it total.   The first pull was with the 1850's, did a quick jet change to fatten it up a touch and the power dropped off.  We threw the 660's on it to just see what would happen,  They were worse overall so we put the 1850's back on and continued to dial them in.  My friend had a new pair of 750 HPs but never tried them due to trying to get fuel lines set up in a reasonable time frame.  He didn't have fuel block for them yet(his build is still in pieces) so getting it all set up was going to take time that we really didn't have.  This was a one day dyno thrash of sorts, so we just moved on.  We played with timing, from 36-40* and it didn't care.  We also played with valve lash from .016 to .022 and again not much change to speak of.  The velocity stacks made negligible difference in power.  It leaned it ever so slightly.

I think the biggest problem with it was the fact when I originally built this motor 2 yrs ago I was really concerned with transmission longevity(mainly first gear) and so I had the shop really hold back on overall power and RPM range.  Since installing the Liberty Equalizer last winter I have NO qualms about making as much HP as I want.  The tunnel ram now is conflicting slightly with the camshaft choice and not allowing it to pull up through like the tunnelwedge did.  I'm not going to do anything about it currently.

I brought the motor home this evening.   A few weeks ago I dropped my pressure ring off for a new heat shield install.  I have that back and I put the clutch back together Saturday evening so it's all ready to put back in the car.  It will run whatever it runs.  I can see an 1/8 mile improvement with the increase in torque and HP but I'll be curious to see if it carries it through the 1/4 mile.

Overall I'm happy.  Like anyone else I had high hopes to see a big "700" number but that will have to wait for another day and other changes.  My friend is going to make me an aluminum "mailbox" style scoop to try out this year.  If the velocity stacks don't work out well, I can try the scoop and see if the ram air effect will pick it up some.  It went 10.28 first weekend out last year.  In the heat it was in the 10.4 range.  If diesel prices stay sane enough to be able to afford to go anyplace this year, I'll see what she will run.

Dyno video from FB:
https://fb.watch/bCwYlZNVxC/

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 09:06:54 AM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Re: 496ci Tunnel ram
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 10:41:54 PM »
I thought just the opposite was gonna happen, as in more hp and less torque than the TW.  Good thing there wasn’t another contest.
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 11:15:07 PM »
Was the tunnel ram ported?
Reverse taper in them without porting - and may need to be welded up at the top to enlarge the plenum opening.
Almost need to find an old 351C pro stock ported tunnel ram.

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 01:03:24 AM »
Looks great. 

Those extra 145 cu inches  are using up that TR.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 05:32:07 AM »
I think the tunnel ram may have been a cork for that big of an engine.  When you see the peak hp rpm go down that much with a change, something is choking it out.  That's in combination with the camshaft just having way too much overlap.  As a general rule, you really shouldn't ever see a 496ci engine with a 107 LSA and that much duration.   More efficient heads need less overlap, especially with the runners that a tunnel ram has.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 05:38:53 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 09:05:23 AM »
Brent, I totally agree.  Like I mentioned, this motor was originally designed to be very mild due to other issues.  The TR was not even in the thought process for down the road.  Once I spent the money on the transmission it has opened up the world to anything I want to do.  I took the plunge and bought the adapter and TR and going by Jay's information it "should" have picked up overall HP.  Not huge, but some.  I was surprised when it fell just short at upper RPM.  Jay's dyno mule was very similar to what my motor is(likely mine has less cam) but similar CI, heads, his has a touch more compression.  Nothing is apples to apples, but I was using it as something to compare to.

My intake is not ported, beyond matching the two halfs(there were horribly off along with the gasket).  The intake, adapter  and heads are fairly matched, but needs work to be right.  I was not pulling the heads and going through all that this winter.  I was just doing a "simple intake swap"  LOL!!!!   Oh, the can-o-worms I opened.   :o

It's all going back in the car as is.   There will be another time to make improvements.  At least it didn't fall off 50 hp!  The car will likely still pick up a touch with the power it did gain through the curve.  I need torque and I did get that.
Larry

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 09:11:16 AM »
is there a top plate for that intake to fit Dominators?
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 10:04:34 AM »
I think 4 things, even though mid 600s is a strong ride

1 - Too much overlap and potentially too much cam, latter depends on gearing, but regardless wide spread and more exhaust split for those heads, as much as 115 LSA in that lobe range for spread and 10 degrees split
2 - Not enough carb, dual 1850s are not enough IMO, I’d go 750s or dominators
3 - Any chance of ignition issues, Adding needed fuel and losing power may be an ignition issue
4 - Agree on the intake and porting but I’d look at top three which will then drive you to some rubbing

Thanks for sharing, any one that handles pull after pull is a good one!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 10:08:18 AM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 10:21:30 AM »
Regarding camshaft timing.
A cylinder head with great .300", .400" + flow the less advance is required. Instead of a 104 ICL, one can use 108 or even 110 ICL.
A larger displacement engine will typically require an earlier exhaust valve opening meaning 114 ECL or even 116 ECL.
The spreading camshaft centerline is a result of the later intake CL and earlier exhaust centerline.
Result -> larger lobe separation.
Overlap is the result of proper intake timing and exhaust timing.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 11:08:55 AM »
So you didn’t get exactly what you wanted but maybe the extra torque will get the big girl going a little earlier that the drop off in HP won’t even be noticeable. If you aren’t happy with the outcome then at least you know either a little rubbing on intake or a cam change shouldn’t be to bad.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2022, 02:33:46 PM »
is there a top plate for that intake to fit Dominators?

Yes.  I have a friend with one and was offered it but with no Dominators to try it was a moot point.

I think 4 things, even though mid 600s is a strong ride

1 - Too much overlap and potentially too much cam, latter depends on gearing, but regardless wide spread and more exhaust split for those heads, as much as 115 LSA in that lobe range for spread and 10 degrees split
2 - Not enough carb, dual 1850s are not enough IMO, I’d go 750s or dominators
3 - Any chance of ignition issues, Adding needed fuel and losing power may be an ignition issue
4 - Agree on the intake and porting but I’d look at top three which will then drive you to some rubbing

Thanks for sharing, any one that handles pull after pull is a good one!

I only turn it about 6500 at the traps.  When we built the motor originally that was one of my stipulations.  It made peak at 6600.
We tried the 660's, they were fatter then the 600's but power fell off.   I would have like to see what the 750's would do, but wasn't in the cards Saturday.  The whole dyno deal all came up real quick and I wasn't able to get all my ducks in a row like I thought.  Waiting for the next slot might have been awhile and I just decided do with what I have.  There again, buying $1700 worth of carbs is not really in the budget right now(what friend paid for his two).

Distributor is locked out.  We played with timing and it didn't really change much power wise.

So you didn’t get exactly what you wanted but maybe the extra torque will get the big girl going a little earlier that the drop off in HP won’t even be noticeable. If you aren’t happy with the outcome then at least you know either a little rubbing on intake or a cam change shouldn’t be to bad.

Yes.  Something to ponder for sometime down the road.  Whatever it runs, it runs.  I do think it will see a slight improvement, at least the 1/8 mile.
Larry

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2022, 10:11:46 AM »
Not sure if a lot of people on here watch the engine masters program, I subscribe to the Motor Trend deal just so I can see those episodes. They have a recent episode where Frieburger puts a tunnel ram on his big block chevy for aesthetic purposes. The results were almost exactly as you describe above. Fatter torque curve and power down low, loss of power at the very peak. Might be interesting for you to watch if you haven't seen it yet.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2022, 10:34:10 AM »

I only turn it about 6500 at the traps.  When we built the motor originally that was one of my stipulations.  It made peak at 6600.
We tried the 660's, they were fatter then the 600's but power fell off.   I would have like to see what the 750's would do, but wasn't in the cards Saturday.  The whole dyno deal all came up real quick and I wasn't able to get all my ducks in a row like I thought.  Waiting for the next slot might have been awhile and I just decided do with what I have.  There again, buying $1700 worth of carbs is not really in the budget right now(what friend paid for his two).

Distributor is locked out.  We played with timing and it didn't really change much power wise.

First, always easy to armchair, and we aren't writing your checks LOL.  Always need to remember that these are the days...when could you bolt together mostly off the shelf parts for 650 HP in an FE.  It's a cool engine and I am not throwing stones in any way

However, I would like to clarify a couple after your response

1 - My comments are only to throw out ideas because you mentioned you would have liked to see 700 HP, nothing else

2 -  I have never seen 660s not make HP over 1850s, even on smaller engines  So my thought goes to two things, either bad 660s, or the ignition.  Not a curve issue, but maybe a bit of a ignition problem that wouldn't let more cyl fill do it's thing.  Just a thought, too bad the 750s couldn't make it on their, I think it would have liked it.   Something to look at would be a close look at the curve/numbers to see if it was getting funky up top.  Could even be a valve bounce or float that is acting like a governor.  Just a thought without seeing the sheets

3 - The cam discussion wouldn't have revved it higher (unless you wanted that).  TFS behave differently than other heads.  The intake port is real good for it's size.  However, a second part of it being good is it's small and reacts quickly, it doesn't need or want a ton of overlap to pull it along using the exhaust pulse.  So you can spread the centers and they are happier (wider LSA) .  The exhaust on an TFS though is good, but not as good as the intake, so they tend to like more duration to empty the cylinder.  So lets say you used the exhaust same intake lobe, but more exhaust lobe and spread them, you'd likely make more power everywhere, not really an RPM increase. 

Would those changes reach 700 hp?  I think so but, it really depends on the intake too, it may need some rubbing.  However, I am not a tunnel ram guy, but I do like playing with runner length math and what you are seeing makes sense...more torque for a given flow.  That being said, I think there is more in that bad boy

Again, no negatives, as I said, when you can run gallons of fuel through the dyno, not break and then go racing with over 650 HP, that's a good one.  Just bench racing based on your 700 HP comment
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 10:37:08 AM by My427stang »
Ross
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2022, 11:25:33 AM »
Like everyone knows, basic rule is shorter runners favor higher RPM power, longer = better torque, so to me the numbers aren't that surprising. Like Brent and Larry said, optimizing everything would probably make a pretty noticeable difference, but like Larry said, it is what it is for now.

On the track, I would not be surprised to see an improvement. You'll be getting cooler air, and that is a big deal.

Either way, it's a winner in my book. The cool factor just went off the charts, so that alone is worth a full second..lol
I like it! 8)
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2022, 12:12:54 PM »
People are often shocked when I tell them they need to go smaller on the camshaft but a lot of guys over-cam with modern heads.   I bet the overlap on that cam with the .050" durations being as high as they are, coupled with a 107 lobe center, is probably at 100° or more. 

If you decide you want to tinker at the end of this season, get in touch with me.  Catch me in a good mood and I may even float you a cam to try....
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2022, 03:13:14 PM »

First, always easy to armchair, and we aren't writing your checks LOL.  Always need to remember that these are the days...when could you bolt together mostly off the shelf parts for 650 HP in an FE.  It's a cool engine and I am not throwing stones in any way

However, I would like to clarify a couple after your response

1 - My comments are only to throw out ideas because you mentioned you would have liked to see 700 HP, nothing else

2 -  I have never seen 660s not make HP over 1850s, even on smaller engines  So my thought goes to two things, either bad 660s, or the ignition.  Not a curve issue, but maybe a bit of a ignition problem that wouldn't let more cyl fill do it's thing.  Just a thought, too bad the 750s couldn't make it on their, I think it would have liked it.   Something to look at would be a close look at the curve/numbers to see if it was getting funky up top.  Could even be a valve bounce or float that is acting like a governor.  Just a thought without seeing the sheets

3 - The cam discussion wouldn't have revved it higher (unless you wanted that).  TFS behave differently than other heads.  The intake port is real good for it's size.  However, a second part of it being good is it's small and reacts quickly, it doesn't need or want a ton of overlap to pull it along using the exhaust pulse.  So you can spread the centers and they are happier (wider LSA) .  The exhaust on an TFS though is good, but not as good as the intake, so they tend to like more duration to empty the cylinder.  So lets say you used the exhaust same intake lobe, but more exhaust lobe and spread them, you'd likely make more power everywhere, not really an RPM increase. 

Would those changes reach 700 hp?  I think so but, it really depends on the intake too, it may need some rubbing.  However, I am not a tunnel ram guy, but I do like playing with runner length math and what you are seeing makes sense...more torque for a given flow.  That being said, I think there is more in that bad boy

Again, no negatives, as I said, when you can run gallons of fuel through the dyno, not break and then go racing with over 650 HP, that's a good one.  Just bench racing based on your 700 HP comment

Ross, we're good.  It's all good discussion material.  I still cringed every pull, but it all ended well.  Heck we tend to put a bunch of pulls on them.  Can't recall if it was the original 496 or the previous build that we put 34 pulls on it!!  Then raced it carefree.  Good builder, good parts and some good luck thrown in.

I've had the dream of putting a TR on the car for a few years.   Jay made it possible.  After reading his book and the slight chance of an increase in power added to the "want to buy" thought. 

When it all fell together this winter I went for it.  Here it is, dynoed, and are my dreams fulfilled?   Ya, mostly.  Did I want to see a 20+ HP increase?  Sure.  Did I see it?  Sorta, only through the middle but not like I imagined it.  Jays book was WRONG!!!!!...........................LOL!!! ( Sorry, just had to throw that out there.  No blame at anyone!!).

I thought the motor made 675 before, but it was 665, so it was going to take 30+ to get that 700 mark.  My mistake(should have dug out the dyno sheet sooner).  Like I mentioned Jay's motor did crack the 700 mark and was "sorta similar" to what I have.  He did run 660's and then 860 center squirters and I think the big ones topped the 700 but he said it was kinda ratty down low.  So, that is where my dream of 700 came from.  I know it was a stretch.  When the peak was down I was really bummed, but after looking at the curve and seeing the substantial increases I was a bit more relieved after throwing all this money and time at it.

I too would have assumed the 660s would make an improvement.  Maybe they could have if we spent more time on them.  There again, we were kinda limited due to scheduling and I went into with that in mind and it was well known to everyone.  Run any carbs I can get rounded up, but then time became an issue and if we wanted to get it done with the 8 gals of fuel, we had to narrow our field of vision.  My nasty old 1850s have served me well for decades, so I choose to stick with them.

As for power curve, there was a little dippty doo after it peaked.  With adjustments we gotten it to flatten out, but not raise overall power.  Was not an issue with tunnelwedge using same distributor and shops MSD box.   Not saying it couldn't be ignition, but the parts used had no issues previously.

Cam:  Like mentioned, this motor was not built to run the TR.  Improvements can be found, someday.

People are often shocked when I tell them they need to go smaller on the camshaft but a lot of guys over-cam with modern heads.   I bet the overlap on that cam with the .050" durations being as high as they are, coupled with a 107 lobe center, is probably at 100° or more. 

If you decide you want to tinker at the end of this season, get in touch with me.  Catch me in a good mood and I may even float you a cam to try....

Something to think about.  Thank you for the offer.  Time will tell this year. 
My only hope(to save money LOL) is I could reuse my existing springs if they are up to the task.  If not, I guess at that time the heads would have to come off and I would then port the adapter to the heads and the TR to the adapter.

Not sure if a lot of people on here watch the engine masters program, I subscribe to the Motor Trend deal just so I can see those episodes. They have a recent episode where Frieburger puts a tunnel ram on his big block chevy for aesthetic purposes. The results were almost exactly as you describe above. Fatter torque curve and power down low, loss of power at the very peak. Might be interesting for you to watch if you haven't seen it yet.

The crusher camaro?  I think I saw that?  I've watch a lot of those Engine master videos(though not a member).  Always very good, solid information, not BS or sales pitches.

The thing is, at least from what I remember growing up, a TR was all about high rpm power.  It seems backwards to see it make power down low.  But remember the Mopar cross ram with 3 ft long runners in a regular car.  So going by that, you would know that it was not really a high rpm intake.  More about torque. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:21:57 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2022, 04:54:44 PM »

I'd venture to say that on this application the runner lengths and volume  had much to do with the results.  It would be instructive to have seen a vac reading under the carbs.

Here's my 565 (Ford Motorsport A-460 heads)   Single 1,200 vs TR with two 1,050's. The single 1,200 was pulling 1.3" vac from 6,000 - 7,200.   The two lines on the bottom are the fuel curve. The 1,200 was running a bit "fat" and we didn't worry about re-jetting it to get closer to 13:1 AF because I wasn't there to get the max out of the single 1,200.  There was probably another 10 hp in jetting.  So it would have peaked at 950 vs the 940.

The Tunnel ram by itself is worth about 30 hp over the single.  The other 30 hp on the graph is the GZ vac pump pulling 9.5" of crankcase vac.

This is a short runner tunnel ram with 6" runners. The TR want's to rev to 7,800 -8,500 and I want it to make peak power at 7,200.  ( It runs in a jet boat)  I'll be going back to the dyno with plenum spacer inserts to add approx 1" to the runner length and see what happens. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 05:01:09 PM by JC-427Stroker »

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2022, 05:13:58 PM »

The cam in the 565 above is 275/277 @ .050 with .455-.421 lobe lift with 1.8 rockers 113 lobe sep.  It's the baseline cam. The two new cams for comparison are ....  271/278 .46X -.43X -111 lobe sep  and 278/284 .46X - .45X  112 lobe sep.

It should be a couple fun days on the dyno.

As a comparison .. The 275/277 cam replaced a cam ground nearly 20 yrs before that was 281/286 .436-.438 on a 113. the engine made 954 hp with that cam with the single carb.  Bigger isn't always better.

After this project it will be time to start working on the 427MR stroker motor.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 05:32:13 PM by JC-427Stroker »

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2022, 06:20:35 PM »

The thing is, at least from what I remember growing up, a TR was all about high rpm power.  It seems backwards to see it make power down low.  But remember the Mopar cross ram with 3 ft long runners in a regular car.  So going by that, you would know that it was not really a high rpm intake.  More about torque.

That Chrysler Cross Ram is an entirely different animal than your tunnel ram, but that being said, a properly sized TR will pick up power everywhere over a single 4.  Much to do with better design and more even runner lengths cly to cly and air fuel distribution.

Assuming a 351c TR was designed for 351" at 8,000- that's an airflow requirement of 812 cfm at 100% VE.

496" at 6,000 is an airflow requirement of 861 cfm with 100% VE.

A TR designed for a 500" engine operating at 6,500 would have entirely different results than you experienced.  Runner length, cross-section area , taper and plenum volume all work together.  As blykins stated,  a cam with different timing events to fit the TR application would be beneficial to this application.    It would be interesting to see what the results would be on your engine with a fabricated plenum of 475-550 cubic inches.

Something else to consider ... TR's are nearly impossible to properly jet without 8 -02's on the dyno.
Bank to Bank A/F are mostly meaningless in that situation unless you have an expert plug reader with you while on the dyno.  There's power to be found in balancing the jetting cly to cly.

I love the way it looks and I hope you get some added performance at the track with it.  Just curious ... what were the HP numbers at 6,400 - 6,500 ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:45:43 PM by JC-427Stroker »

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2022, 11:41:12 PM »
I realize the cross rams were not in the same ballpark as what this tunnel ram is.  Those had long, small runners meant for torque.

I had thought about checking vacuum, it had a port already and could have just plugged it in, but forgot about it in the thrash of working on it.  I think I might throw a vacuum gauge in the car and see what it does on the track.  That will at least confirm the carbs are too small.  I could add a channel to my data logger if I buy the sending unit.  I wanted to add an A/F meter to it also.

I do know the secondaries were pulled full open at 4500 rpm as the dyno loaded the motor.   That was first on the list to confirm as we saw fuel numbers kinda whacky.

It was down 10 hp at 6400 rpm, nothing horrible.  That was the little wiggle in the HP curve after 6100 rpm.  It dropped another 5 hp by 6800 rpm where we shut it down.  The old tunnelwedge held a straight line to 6800 rpm.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 11:42:55 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2022, 07:19:38 AM »
Cool has to count for something - and a tunnel ram and velocity stacks are about as cool as things get.

I will sign on and agree with the cam comments - not as concerned about the "big" @.050 numbers (you have some compression and cubic inches) as with the short LSA and assumed valve events.  For past EMC efforts I have intentionally tightened up LSA/events to chase the results you are seeing - more torque through the middle while giving up peak power at high RPM. 

The intake thoughts are also on the right track.  That tunnel ram was originally designed with 351 cubic inches and a bazillion RPM in mind.  And port work was likely considered inevitable.  Clipping it onto a nearly 500 inch engine is always going to be a bit of an experiment.  I suspect that if you handed that adapter to Marcella or Hogans with instructions to build a tunnel ram for this application you would get something back with very, very different runner lengths, taper, cross section, and plenum volume.

I also think that a pair of 750s would pick it up.  Them small carbs were stock sizes for 427/428 inch engines in street applications.  Using them in a high demand application is going to give you some goofy fuel curves until you get a grip on the tune or modify them.

And none of this matters once the car hits the track.  Then the truth is revealed.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:52:47 AM by Barry_R »

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 03:26:57 PM »
I would agree. A couple 750-780 vaccums would help. I would also cut down the top, get rid of plenum volume and be able to fit under the teardrop hood. Only Fairlane the manifold I made is pretty much like that TunnelRam missing it's top half with some of the webbing cut out between the runners. Instead of a four quart plenum volume it's more like one quart.

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2022, 03:29:58 PM »
I realize the cross rams were not in the same ballpark as what this tunnel ram is.  Those had long, small runners meant for torque.

I had thought about checking vacuum, it had a port already and could have just plugged it in, but forgot about it in the thrash of working on it.  I think I might throw a vacuum gauge in the car and see what it does on the track.  That will at least confirm the carbs are too small.  I could add a channel to my data logger if I buy the sending unit.  I wanted to add an A/F meter to it also.

I do know the secondaries were pulled full open at 4500 rpm as the dyno loaded the motor.   That was first on the list to confirm as we saw fuel numbers kinda whacky.

It was down 10 hp at 6400 rpm, nothing horrible.  That was the little wiggle in the HP curve after 6100 rpm.  It dropped another 5 hp by 6800 rpm where we shut it down.  The old tunnelwedge held a straight line to 6800 rpm.

If it holds on that well you should see some benefit from it.  GREAT.

I can't tell you how many times I've been on the dyno with an engine and forgot to do something I was thinking of doing when it was getting bolted on.   I now try to make a Check List the day before.    It helps.

Good luck with it.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2022, 05:45:20 PM »
There is a lot that can be done with the adapter and the Weiand TR. I had hoped that Jay might try a set of 850's on his 504, just to see if there was any improvement, at all, in out put.

I think that something that should be tried, with this TR, for large ci engines (450+), is back to back test with 660's, 4779 type 750's and 4781 type 850's. I don't think mixing venturi sizes together is best.

Curiously, the bolt pattern on the lower manifold is the same as the Dominator but, you would need a transition base, to make it IR or a transition and a open spacer to make a plenum under the carb. Interesting but a little spendy.

I have 660's with mine but, I'm going to try a IR, MFI on mine, tapping the adapter for Hilborn type nozzles. It's a ways down the road, I'm collecting components for that now.

Other thoughts that I have on this engine, is I think those 660's need work and the cam needs tweaked. If you only picked up 3 hp, you's be right with Jay's 504. He only picked up 3 hp over the 660, Dove TW but, 50 lb/ft of Tq.

Since these head back up after .600, I'd try to keep the lift at no more than .700 net and get as much .200 lobe duration as possible at that .700 lift and Spread the LSA to 110.

Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2022, 06:52:24 PM »
A couple of notes there...

The TFS heads do back up starting at about .625-.650" lift, but obviously they don't know it.  The heads work well at lifts up to .750" so far and I do not restrict lift with them now. 

A maximum amount of .200" duration is probably not something that Larry would want.   Adding a lot of .200" duration can have a tendency to make a camshaft a "spring eater" and a "seat beater".   There's a lot of room for discussion there and a lot of relativity in specs, but maximizing .200" durations increases the rate at which the valve opens and the rate at which the valve closes.  Not always a good scenario and sometimes those situations are best for extreme competition cases. 

You will also find that big inch motors like this with efficient heads can often take advantages of really long LSA's.  In Larry's case, with .050" durations in the upper 270's on a roller cam, I wouldn't be surprised if I needed to grind a cam with a LSA of 112-114 for it to work.   I've done some big inch, high rpm BBF pulling engines that ended up with LSA's at 119-120.  Remember, the LSA is just a byproduct of how you control overlap. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 06:56:21 PM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2022, 07:35:57 PM »

The TFS heads do back up starting at about .625-.650" lift, but obviously they don't know it.  The heads work well at lifts up to .750" so far and I do not restrict lift with them now. 

A maximum amount of .200" duration is probably not something that Larry would want.   Adding a lot of .200" duration can have a tendency to make a camshaft a "spring eater" and a "seat beater".   There's a lot of room for discussion there and a lot of relativity in specs, but maximizing .200" durations increases the rate at which the valve opens and the rate at which the valve closes.  Not always a good scenario and sometimes those situations are best for extreme competition cases. 

You will also find that big inch motors like this with efficient heads can often take advantages of really long LSA's.  In Larry's case, with .050" durations in the upper 270's on a roller cam, I wouldn't be surprised if I needed to grind a cam with a LSA of 112-114 for it to work.   I've done some big inch, high rpm BBF pulling engines that ended up with LSA's at 119-120.  Remember, the LSA is just a byproduct of how you control overlap.
The heads know that they are loosing flow and so do the cylinders, it's just a question of how much they are loosing and how turbulent they get. If they stay at the same cfm or increase at a lesser rate, that's one thing but, when they back up, something is wrong and they are probably getting turbulent, while they are doing that, disrupting the flow pattern, into the cylinder.

Are you trying to tell me, that a head that doesn't loose flow in it's higher lift range, will produce the same hp as one that does loose flow?

Regarding the .200 duration, the both the In & the Ex ramps can be made to smooth the spring acceleration and deceleration out.

I don't doubt that a 112 LSA would be good maybe better but, I don't like to take to big of jumps at one time (on anything) and 110, has worked on this size engine.
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2022, 08:54:59 PM »

The heads know that they are loosing flow and so do the cylinders, it's just a question of how much they are loosing and how turbulent they get. If they stay at the same cfm or increase at a lesser rate, that's one thing but, when they back up, something is wrong and they are probably getting turbulent, while they are doing that, disrupting the flow pattern, into the cylinder.

Are you trying to tell me, that a head that doesn't loose flow in it's higher lift range, will produce the same hp as one that does loose flow?

Regarding the .200 duration, the both the In & the Ex ramps can be made to smooth the spring acceleration and deceleration out.

I don't doubt that a 112 LSA would be good maybe better but, I don't like to take to big of jumps at one time (on anything) and 110, has worked on this size engine.

I just looked back at some of my head flow data.  It's been a bit since I've had a set of non-ported heads on the bench, so I had to look back at some notes.  I remembered wrong, they did not back up between .600-.700" lift.  They didn't gain, but they didn't lose.  In other notes that I made, I noted that there was a "sound change" starting at .600" lift on the bench, but no backing up.  My flow data for these heads is listed on Stan Weiss' website. 

Regardless, the heads (and engine performance) don't seem to mind the higher lift camshafts at all.

By nature, when you increase the .200" duration, you have to accelerate and decelerate the valves at a higher rate.  That's just something you can't get away from, the valve just simply has to open quicker and has to shut quicker.  I agree that there are ways to possibly soften that, but any attempt to maximize .200" duration will generally result in a lobe that's pretty aggressive.  On a bracket engine, you don't want a camshaft that will accelerate wear on the parts, as the engines will generally last many seasons without a freshen-up.   
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2022, 09:14:24 PM »
It's in.  Transmission is in.  Lots of little stuff to do yet.
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2022, 10:01:33 PM »
It's in.  Transmission is in.  Lots of little stuff to do yet.

Awesome, when does racing season start for you?

Frank, LSA is a funny thing.  In and of itself it is a value that does no good to anyone.  110 LSA on a 320 adv hyd roller, a 310 degree solid roller with lash, and a 290 adv solid flat are all completely different cams. Its all about resulting overlap, actually all valve events. So I agree, big engines have done well on 110, but I'd bet a dollar this one had a ton of overlap.

However, also agree that experimenting with big changes can be risky, but low overlap big inch builds with good heads are pretty well proven, even on our own dyno page here. Not to mention, basic building from the 1960s still apply, the more efficient the head, the less overlap you want or need, been that way for a long time and applies here.

What sort of sounded like a lecture is over...back to bench racing, none of us can really say if this was too much overlap without the cam card, but my guess is somewhere around 306/312 to maybe as much as 310/316 advertised given the cam specs. 

That would be at least 95 degrees of overlap, that's proven to be a lot more than a good fast head on a big engine needs.   Assuming the intake lobe is at 306 and exhaust is at 312, I'd probably rock that back to 106 or 107, use the same intake lobe, use a similar lobe but 10 degrees greater than the intake, and 113 LSA for 85-ish degrees overlap, and even then, that's on the high side of overlap for me, I probably would even go wider and add a smidge more exhaust lobe

I also think that these heads "backing up" is a bit of a misrepresentation, and hard to tell how a calculated 28 inches of flow behaves in the engine with the negative exhaust pulse, water hammer effect (especially with the long TR) and standard atmospheric pressure, but in practice, they don't seem to be as affected at high lift as some have thought

Here's a funny comment, with all that preaching, I am likely freshening my 489 up after 16 years and adding a set of ported TFS and a ported Victor to replace a port matched Victor and ported Edelbrocks.  Guess what my cam is?  110 LSA ...however, it's 74 degrees overlap with a good bit of split, so it's likely staying, however, if I do decide to recam, I will likely go with even less overlap and a bit more intake and exhaust lobe

Ross

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2022, 10:56:18 PM »
That just looks freakin' awesome.

When looking at the numbers and focusing on why peak wasn't higher than before, remember that Larry was running a tunnelwedge, and that is about as good an intake as there is for a racing FE. Just the fact that it made significant improvements throughout the midrange, over the TW, is a win in my book. It'll be easy to hook up a vacuum gauge on your first runs, just to see where the carbs sit on airflow. Borrow a GoPro to video it and check it out afterwards.

Edit: I swear the FE and the 351 Cleveland are the absolute best looking engines with a tunnel ram. They just look...."right".
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 10:59:14 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 11:52:38 AM »
I would agree. A couple 750-780 vaccums would help. I would also cut down the top, get rid of plenum volume and be able to fit under the teardrop hood. Only Fairlane the manifold I made is pretty much like that TunnelRam missing it's top half with some of the webbing cut out between the runners. Instead of a four quart plenum volume it's more like one quart.

Tom.  No way this would fit under a tear drop no matter what I cut out.  Besides that would negate the whole idea of having it out for the world(and me) to see.

I do have a pair of customized 735's on my 428 in my pickup.  I made them for the wagon originally, but the small step boosters made them very touchy in the water box(No two step).  It was either idle or 10K rpm.  I made one pass and took them off.  They work GREAT on my pickup.  Really like them.  I guess I could have borrowed them for day to see if they did any better power wise.

Ross, my season doesn't start til early May.  That is if it is not raining/snowing.
I'll also dig out the cam card and you can see what all the numbers actually are.

Brent,  yes this is a "dump truck" motor that I don't want to have to dig into for a few years so a very spring happy ramp is a good thing.  Totally agree I am not into max effort power, just something I can rely on for years without having to go into it every winter.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 02:58:29 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 05:39:05 PM »
First, let me say I love this forum and the FE. I learn a lot here and I try to help people, too.

I've been interested in the TFS heads, for over two years and bought mine from Brent about 6 mo's ago, based on the information I learned mostly on THIS forum.

Back ground:
I've been involved in racing for as long as I can remember. My dad worked for the company that owned the Novi, Indy car, when I was 2 yrs old (1946).

Now, Brent and I have had problems, ever since my first post on this forum so, it always seems to be up hill if I post anything. It usually went like this: Brent says I don't know my a$$ from a hole in the ground and then Ross, parrots him, in some way. After I spent $4000 with him, we talked, he offered a apology and I though things would change for the better but, doesn't look like it. If it wasn't so wrong, I'd let this pass but, what he's saying is wrong in his own words.

This is the info I gleaned before I bought these and what my response is based on:

Joe-JDC:
Re: Best actual Ford cast 4V intake found
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 07:23:40 PM »

Any off the shelf/as cast aluminum intake manifold that fits the FE, and flows 338 cfm average matches or exceeds most of the heads available out of the box for the FE.  For years, the HR was the top tier FE, next TP, and then MR, CJ, and all the others,(SOHC excluded)  Today, there are aluminum heads available with CNC programs that struggle to have an honest 338 cfm airflow at any reasonable valve lift.  The KC Stage II heads only flow 338 cfm on my bench at .750" lift, and the TFS actually go turbulent and back up above ~.620" lift to 320ish cfm.  A Pond, KC III, or BBM special CNC program that I have flowed still don't go much higher flow than 345-350 cfm without some tweaking.  They claim 360, 370, or higher, but I have not personally had that flow on my machine.  Jay Brown sent me a BT HR head that flowed 393 cfm IIRC, and that is the best FE head until his new head came along.  So, yes, the "K" Sidewinder would be a very good intake for just about any healthy FE on the street.  For performance, porting a RPM, Victor 427, TFS Track Heat, BT MR, can be opened up to flow 390 cfm and up.  A 300 cfm head needs a 330 cfm intake manifold for the street, and a 310 cfm head needs 340 cfm intake manifold.  A 340 cfm head for race needs a 410 cfm intake manifold.  The TFS Track Heat is the only 4V intake that comes close out of the box to that number, and exceeds it with a simple cartridge roll of the port to match a MR gasket.   Joe-JDC

Blair:
 Re: out of the box Trick Flow heads vs. ported Edelbrocks?
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:07 AM »

The standard Edelbrock casting does not have enough material in the right places.  You can make it flow more, but it will get too big in the process.  The Pro Port casting, as was mentioned above, is a blank sheet of canvas, with plenty of meat to make the right shape.  To surpass the TFS with a small port, a person needs the Pro Port.  I have some that are small and will outflow the TFS significantly, but they do cost more.

The BBMs are better than the regular Edelbrock.  I have a CNC chamber and port that will equal the TFS, which is also cnc ported.  The BBM will be a bigger port, but I think for 482 and larger engines, it is better with the added volume.

The TFS flow is very good out of the box, to about .550 lift, but it has issues with turbulence after that.  My flowbench is a little more sensitive than a Superflow, and it picks up the problem sooner.  A pitot tube to measure velocity around the short turn shows it, as well as the sound when it gets "mad".  The hump in the floor flows good when you just put a radius on the end of the port, but it needs to be flowed with about another two inches of port.......to about the valve cover rail, to really see what is going on.  The TFS head is not bad, but it does not produce power to match the "standard" head flow that most people see.  I am fairly sure that the development was done with just the head only, and not any more extension to simulate the "rest" of the head that is in the intake manifold.  My opinion is that the hump is too abrupt, the short turn is too sharp, and the vane behind the guide is turned the wrong direction.  I have fooled with the port some and some of the issues can be corrected some before the low lift numbers start to suffer.  I think the head is best suited for smaller cubic inch engines with .600 or less lift.  If you are going bigger and more lift, I think the BBM with some loving is better.  In my shop, the next level after a ported BBM with a CNC chamber, is to go to Pro Ports.

Blair:
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2020, 03:52:46 PM »

You can go to the Chevy dealer and buy a GM Performance LSX CNC head and you will have the port.  The only redesign was just what was required to put it in the FE head.  I have flowed one of the GM heads here.  It flows real good.....much better than the FE rendition, but behaves the same as the TFS FE head, and suffers from the same backup issues.  When I first saw the TFS head, I knew I had seen that port before, with the exception of the exaggerated vane in the floor.

blykins:
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 08:50:46 AM »

I've done a hand-full on the same dyno, so it allowed me to do a good comparison between other cylinder head offerings.

The largest engine I've had a set on so far is a 465 inch bracket race engine.   That engine, with out of the box TFS heads and valve springs to match the cam, a solid flat tappet, and 12:1 compression, hit within 20hp (680) of a 465 inch engine with 12:1 compression, a solid roller, and ported (read smaller CSA) 380cfm Tunnel Port heads.  The TP engine peaked at 7000.  The TFS headed engine pulled easily to 7200, with similar durations on the camshafts.  I feel that if the TFS headed engine had a solid roller, it would have been a lot closer.

The smallest engine I've had them on was a 390 and the 390 made 540 hp at 6000 rpm with a hydraulic roller and a Performer RPM on pump gas.

On a 445, the TFS heads made 20 more horsepower than a 445 with BBM heads, with 4° less duration on the camshaft.  Same compression, same intake manifold, etc.

FWIW, these 445's that I'm doing with the TFS heads are making almost as much horsepower and torque as the 482's I used to do with CNC ported Pond heads.

I have seen the same turbulence on the flow bench.  I generally limit the lift to .625-.630" and have a grand ole time.

If I wanted to use an Edelbrock head for a high performance engine, I'd use Blair's Pro Ports.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the extra @.200 lobe duration. You would need to run that by a cam grinder (not Comp), I'd suggest Mike Jones on ST. It may or may not need extra spring pressure, based on the ramps available. If it does need addressing, it could be dealt with with conical springs and/or titanium retainers.

There is more than one fact based opinion out there.

Edit:
I can tell this about valve springs, no one, not even most cam grinders, can tell you exactly what valve spring you need. They can only tell you, what in their opinion is a safe valve spring to use!

You can find out the minimum spring with a Spintron and there is a computer program, that if given all necessary info, regarding wts acceleration rates and rpm can give you a good shot a min spring pressure.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 05:53:46 PM by frnkeore »
Frank

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 06:27:30 PM »
There's always someone ......

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2022, 08:39:55 PM »
I have said it before, I should know better at 54 years old LOL 

I guess it's time for someone else to post dyno results and hang it out there. 
Ross

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2022, 09:32:57 PM »
Wow....did this go sideways or what..........  ???
I knew some people might want to see what my motor did with a TR installed.  Surely not bragging or complaining about what it made.  Is there better?  Sure is.  Can mine be better?  Sure can.  Does it matter today?  Not at all.

Well, as I promised Ross, here is the cam info:
int   open 30   close 64
exh open 67  close 33
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 09:35:58 PM by BattlestarGalactic »
Larry

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2022, 09:51:44 PM »
Certainly not your fault.  In fact, thanks for sharing, looking at what all of these engines do gives lots of information

Any chance you have the advertised numbers or the lobe numbers?  Lobe numbers would be the cam grind number, usually 4 digits for intake and 4 for exhaust  Those valve events you supplied would be at .050
Ross

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2022, 02:31:35 AM »
I apologize, to the the OP and the rest of the forum.

This came about because of less than accurate info posted regarding these TFS heads. I hope no one has a issue with posting the truth.

Also, I'm not a politician and sometimes don't take other people into consideration, when repeatedly poked. 
Frank

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2022, 07:38:59 AM »
The thing was, Frank, no one was poking at you.   We were all bench racing.  You took offense to it because someone disagreed with your information, which is NOT EVEN YOUR OWN INFORMATION.  You're the only one I know that gets wadded up because people disagree with information that you QUOTE.  And to beat it all, the quote that you used from me is 2 years old.   It's completely laughable that the information you use to try and prove ME wrong is MY information! 

Lots of things change in 2 years and I'll stand by my post that I do not hamper the heads with low lift camshafts anymore.  I started out using .550-.600" lift cams but you never know what will happen unless you try different things.  Even if the head does change sound at .600-.650" lift, it obviously does not hinder the performance and since that post from 2 years ago, I've tried different camshaft specs, including different durations, different LSA's, different duration splits, and lifts up above .700".   The heads still surprise me and they are my go-to for an aftermarket FE head!  It shouldn't surprise us that, just like an engine dyno isn't really an indicator of absolute performance on the racetrack, a flow bench isn't really an absolute indicator of how a head works on a running engine. 

As for hard feelings, all of my replies to you were not personal pokes.  I'll apologize to you again publicly if you took it that way, but it was not intended that way and I really tip-toed around my responses with the conversation that we had over the phone in mind. 

Now for cam grinders, you may want to talk to Joe Craine about the MJ camshaft he used in his EMC engine.   I also tried one of his hydraulic rollers in a 445ci Windsor about 14 years ago and the results were not good at all.  It was so aggressive that I couldn't get any control of the valvetrain and was completely lazy above 5800-6000 rpm.   It was ground with a 49° MI.........  :doh:   I will agree that Comp Cams probably doesn't have a good handle on what an FE needs due to the valvetrain weights and other specifications, but they produce very high quality camshafts and that's why I use them to grind my own customs. 

No hard feelings, Frank.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:16:46 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »
Those were valve timing at .050

lift .395 int/exh
duration at .050  274 in/ 280 exh
lobe separation 107

That's all I have.
Larry

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
Those were valve timing at .050

lift .395 int/exh
duration at .050  274 in/ 280 exh
lobe separation 107

That's all I have.

Those are Comp "CR" lobes.  Middle of the road as far as aggression. 

Advertised durations are 305/311.  That would put your overlap at 94°. 

If you ever get the hunger for another cam, I'd be at 270/282 @ .050", 113 LSA, 108 ICL, with .677"/.695" gross lift. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 08:59:17 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »
Larry, I know there are a ton of variables like air, traction, temp etc etc, but I hope you update this with some track numbers when you take it out. Just curious what difference it makes in the real world, with no other changes.

I know you said a buddy was making a scoop, which is probably the best performance route, but I'm curious what changes it may make between running with the stacks vs without, or with the scoop, IF you happen to try that. Certainly not trying to push you into doing changes for me though. IF there's any difference at all, my guess would be, in order of best to worst: scoop, then stacks, then open.

Another good thing about the swap....you don't have to bend over as far to do jetting changes..lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2022, 11:18:08 AM »
When I post that a head backs up flow, it does not mean it quits flowing air.  The TFS heads can be made to flow ~350cfm with a very simple modification to the short turn on the intake side.  Out of the box, on my SF-600 they begin to back-up flow at ~.620" lift.  That means that they were at ~330-333 cfm @.600", and at .620" valve lift the air goes turbulent to the point the flow decreases to ~320cfm.  It stays turbulent to .800" lift, but flows ~320cfm at .800" lift. 320cfm x .257 x 8 cylinders = 657hp potential, which is exactly where this 496 is on the dyno.  If you can get the turbulence out and the flow to 341 cfm, you will reach your goal of 700 hp.  I just received a new pair of aluminum heads for another Ford engine series, and they have four ports that "back-up" flow at .620" valve lift.  I ported an earlier version of the same head a couple of weeks ago, and the same four ports flowed cleanly to .800" lift.  The Master engine porter that I studied under back in the late '80s made it a point to not worry about a bit of turbulence at high lift, the engine will continue to make power even with a "back-up" of flow.  I have always tried to work it out of a port, and it helps, but I don't get too worried about it unless the cfm loss is more than 10-15 cfm.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2022, 12:02:43 PM »
The Master engine porter that I studied under back in the late '80s made it a point to not worry about a bit of turbulence at high lift, the engine will continue to make power even with a "back-up" of flow. 

Exactly.  That's why the higher lift cams work.  Even if a port stops picking up or goes dirty, a higher lift cam will still allow the head to fill the cylinder, because the cam will allow it to see good flow not only when the valve opens, but as the valve is closing as well. 

Interesting that you see discrepancies across the same cylinder heads as well, Joe.  If you look at the numbers that I let Stan Weiss post, the flow is constant from .600-.700" on that particular set of heads.  I have seen them vary a little between different pairs. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
I apologize, to the the OP and the rest of the forum.

This came about because of less than accurate info posted regarding these TFS heads. I hope no one has a issue with posting the truth.

Also, I'm not a politician and sometimes don't take other people into consideration, when repeatedly poked.

Just an FYI,

It's not being like a politician you need to worry about.

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2022, 01:04:28 PM »

If you ever get the hunger for another cam, I'd be at 270/282 @ .050", 113 LSA, 108 ICL, with .677"/.695" gross lift.

I think you mentioned it earlier .... What would you like to see for  overlap for this combination ?

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2022, 01:15:52 PM »

I think you mentioned it earlier .... What would you like to see for  overlap for this combination ?

I'd be aiming for 80-82 degrees of advertised overlap.   As a comparison, my 496's with TFS heads (10.5:1, Performer RPM intake, etc.) and a little port work will make about 645 hp @ 6000 with 72 degrees of overlap on a hydraulic roller. 

The better the head, the less you need to hang the valves open at the same time.  The factory headed engines I build generally like to see more in the overlap area.  My little 352 mule lost a good bit of horsepower when I closed it up on a cam swap. 
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2022, 01:26:00 PM »
 Thanks ....

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »
Larry, I know there are a ton of variables like air, traction, temp etc etc, but I hope you update this with some track numbers when you take it out. Just curious what difference it makes in the real world, with no other changes.

I know you said a buddy was making a scoop, which is probably the best performance route, but I'm curious what changes it may make between running with the stacks vs without, or with the scoop, IF you happen to try that. Certainly not trying to push you into doing changes for me though. IF there's any difference at all, my guess would be, in order of best to worst: scoop, then stacks, then open.

Another good thing about the swap....you don't have to bend over as far to do jetting changes..lol

Heck, I never change jets.  LOL!!   Since they are side saddle, you don't have to pull the carbs to change jets.  Though it was mentioned on the dyno that I may need to throw 1-2 in it due to air speed on the track compared to sitting in the dyno room.  At least for spring/fall weather.  I am going to try to remember to call my data logger supplier and see about adding an O2 sensor into that.  I had a wide band on the car for a few years but removed it and put it on the black car for better tuning on it.

As far as induction changes we were talking about that at lunch today with the shop.  They wondered what I was going to do with the hood and I told them I had a flat hood on order.   The discussion came up about needing a scoop as the velocity stacks may be in a vacuum situation at near 130 mph and may cause a lean out?   With the TW under the hood, I'm not sure what kind of turbulence was going on under the hood?  I have no core support to speak of, it's all open and then the grilles in the back of the teardrop.  So, what is all going on?  The world may never know.   Time will tell.

Larry

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2022, 02:29:32 PM »

Heck, I never change jets.  LOL!!   

.  They wondered what I was going to do with the hood and I told them I had a flat hood on order.   The discussion came up about needing a scoop as the velocity stacks may be in a vacuum situation at near 130 mph and may cause a lean out?   With the TW under the hood, I'm not sure what kind of turbulence was going on under the hood?  I have no core support to speak of, it's all open and then the grilles in the back of the teardrop.  So, what is all going on?  The world may never know.   Time will tell.

What type of clearance between the hood and the top of carbs will you have ?

In the boat I'm running the dual flame arrestors. On the dyno the K&N velocity stacks were worth 5 hp over open carbs. They really smoothed out the air flow.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2022, 05:56:59 PM »

It's a tunnel ram. Unless he raises the hood a foot, there is no clearance, Clarence. ;)
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

JC-427Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2022, 07:01:48 PM »
:)

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2022, 08:41:26 PM »

The discussion came up about needing a scoop as the velocity stacks may be in a vacuum situation at near 130 mph and may cause a lean out?   

Larry, I was worried about that too with the Hilborn stacks coming out of the hood with my 64 Gal; you probably remember seeing that the time we met up at the track.  That car went 143 MPH, and the A/F numbers and manifold vacuum never changed at speed.  Of course, that setup was EFI, not carbs, but at least based on my experience I don't think you will have to worry about a lean-out.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2022, 06:25:28 PM »

It's a tunnel ram. Unless he raises the hood a foot, there is no clearance, Clarence. ;)

Roger, Roger..... I mean Doug.....LOL.

Jay,. I remember the day well.  Had a blast and have pictures to prove it.  I don't see a major issue but it was a conversation we had over lunch.
Larry