Author Topic: 75 4x4  (Read 2694 times)

475fetoploader

• View Profile
75 4x4
« on: February 27, 2022, 11:20:39 AM »
So I found a better bed, built a cart for it to roll around on. I then took it to the old mans house, where it will hang out til I get done of the free time we’re always chasing.  It appears he got impatient.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:31:22 AM by 475fetoploader »
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
Re: 75 4x4
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 11:27:07 AM »
Pic
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 11:30:29 AM by 475fetoploader »

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »
Looking good!

What is your drivetrain plans for it?

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2022, 02:28:21 PM »
428, now a 461.  Np 435 trans. 205 transfer case. Kingpin 60 front. 60 rear. Probably put 38” swampers on again.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 07:51:05 PM »
Should be a beast. Was wondering mostly on the transmission, we don't have many choices for upgrading for these old 4x4's.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 08:01:00 PM »
The only thing I’ve ever broken on an NP435 was the input shaft.  I found a NOS 1 3/8 input shaft and bearing retainer, from an old U-haul shop. Maybe that will take care of that part.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 09:52:31 AM »
I am pretty sure you can swap to a newer manual trans if you wanted to just fyi. It all depends on your needs but the kits exist. Having a divorced T-case you can do about anything as long as room allows.  Cool old trucks. Torque won't be an issue, nor will gearing HAHA.

Pretty much where I am on mine, but waiting to get my shop built so I can bring the bed inside and start on it. It won't be super nice, but it will be daily driver quality. I had to fire it up over the weekend to give it the bi-monthly warm up/run oil through it....mainly to hear the 445  :)

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 06:00:37 PM »
I am pretty sure you can swap to a newer manual trans if you wanted to just fyi. It all depends on your needs but the kits exist. Having a divorced T-case you can do about anything as long as room allows.  Cool old trucks.

You can, there just isn't any bolt in kit, at least none that I've seen. I've done a few swaps. I had a 75 F250 that someone had already swapped a 460 into. I pulled the 435 and divorced transfer case and swapped a 460 ZF5 into it and then used an AA kit to put a married 205 on the back.

I've also used several newer 5 and 6 speed manuals with the divorced 205, but in some of those cases you have to slide the transfer case back and rebuild all 3 drivelines to make it work reliably. Unless it's a true restoration, the 5 or 6 speed swap is worth it if it's a real driver. If it's more of a toy then the 435 is fine and they're pretty tuff. They used them in medium duty trucks well into the 80's. I had a 85 F800 with a big block, NP435 and 2 speed rear. The 435 outlasted 3 rear diffs! It had a new one in it when I bought it that only lasted a few months. I replaced it and that one lasted 200k miles and was getting noisy so I rebuild it before I sold the truck.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 09:30:59 AM »
I agree with all of that! Really wonder how a newer manual would help fuel economy. Be nice to have the gears in the housing but the advantage of an overdrive.
If time does not pass me by, I would love to find a crew cab of that era and do the Cummins swap. Given what new trucks cost, and the fact that I can live without all the bells and whistles, it seems like a no brainer. Update the drive line, but one of the best diesels, and the old Ford Crew cab body. If one could refrain from the urge to put 40's on it and roll coal, I would guess you would have a rig that could easily get upper 20's for MPG, or better, and do about all you would want minus hot shot work.   
Time, money, sweat, tears, and box of curse words is all one needs.
Good luck on the project, and keep us updated.

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 10:52:34 PM »
I actually started a 5.9 for this truck. I talked myself back into the 428, when I got a bbm block for the Fairlane.  I have a really nice P7100 and a Hamilton camshaft etc.  The 5.9 core I got, had a broken injector drill a hole in 1 cylinder,  so I decided a 428 stroker would still make the truck cool. 

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2022, 05:23:14 PM »
I agree with all of that! Really wonder how a newer manual would help fuel economy. Be nice to have the gears in the housing but the advantage of an overdrive.
If time does not pass me by, I would love to find a crew cab of that era and do the Cummins swap. Given what new trucks cost, and the fact that I can live without all the bells and whistles, it seems like a no brainer. Update the drive line, but one of the best diesels, and the old Ford Crew cab body. If one could refrain from the urge to put 40's on it and roll coal, I would guess you would have a rig that could easily get upper 20's for MPG, or better, and do about all you would want minus hot shot work.   
Time, money, sweat, tears, and box of curse words is all one needs.
Good luck on the project, and keep us updated.

The answer depends on your driving style and how much HP you want obviously, but mine gets around 19-20.5 mpg. I have a 77 Crew Cab that was originally a 2wd shortbed. When I bought it the body was on a butchered highboy frame lengthened to fit a long bed. I scrapped all of that and put it on a 2007 F350 SRW frame (6.leaker that I robbed so many parts off I didn't want fix it so it became an organ donor). I filled that with a 5.9 12v out of a B700 Ford school bus. I couldn't find a reasonable price on a ZF 6 speed out of a super duty so I'm currently running a NV4500 from a Dodge and swapped the input shaft from a NV271F transfercase to work with the NV4500. At some point I'd like to find a ZF to put in so here are no Dodge parts in it, but the NV is a decent transmission.

It's basically stock 300k mile 12v with some bolts on I had laying on the shelf. Has 3k governor springs, "60lb" valve springs, S300 pre-BorgWarner 64/68 turbo and some 5x14 SAC injectors. Makes about 415/950 at the tires. Unloaded on the highway it gets about 20 with the windows up and the AC on (running 65, over 70 and it drops to 18 or a touch more - can't get around the brick for aero).

I would NEVER have done this swap if the original crewcab wasn't already a mixed/matched set of parts that were hacked up. If that was the case it would have gone back with an FE. But since everything on this was a mess I didn't mind it.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2022, 11:11:05 AM »
The MPG surprises me. But I don't how big you went, etc. tire wise. But that is good info. These old trucks are not aerodynamic that is for sure. But they are lighter overall...IDK but I really figured on more but it is what it is and there is no lack of torque is there  ;D

People over the years learned these are easy to mess with and tough, but the butchery is insane! Mine had square tubing welded on the shock mounts so they could run a different set of shocks...not better, just what they had from something else. Luckily the wiring was good, and no major frame issues minus a "custom" receiver hitch. But mine was really a "cherry" find around here for what you normally see.

This thread proves one thing, we all run into issues and changes along the way on our projects. Most of the cost us, but they also teach us.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »
Right now the truck is blown apart for paint, but on the shakedown runs it still had the stock tires from the SuperDuty on it and it was a bit low geared for the 12v and the NV4500. After I get the paint done it's going to get a small lift and 35's which should help the highway mpg some as it'll be at a better cruise RPM. I'm not sure the MPG numbers I was getting were 100% accurate, but I'm sure they're within 1 either way. The aero definitely becomes a real problem past 65 and makes a noticeable difference in economy, but if you put it in context, a brick-like truck doing 80-85 getting an honest 15 compared to the 9 it would be getting otherwise is still a win!

Yes, one thing for sure is the level of hackery on this stuff is pretty bad at times. That is the reason I went the route I did with this truck. My 73 camper special was pretty unmolsted and I've taken a much more conservative approach to work on it, pretty much everything that I have changed could go back the way it was easily.

Seems like anything, car, truck, etc, that's been around as long as this stuff has and been through as many hands is likely to have lots of questionable work to down right hackery, but from my experience the trucks seem to be worse for some reason. More time on the farm maybe?

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 12:17:45 AM »
Got the block back this week.  Needed a main line hone, after I installed the girdle and main studs.  Decked it so the pistons are down only .005.  A cometic gasket gives me 10.4:1.  I guess the only thing I don’t love about this build is the Edelbrock performer heads. I have a Streetmaster intake that I gasket matched, and cleaned the inside of the plenum up.  Hydraulic roller, precision oil pump rockers stands shafts. Should have pushrods Tuesday.  I found out there’s a guy 20 minutes away with a super flow dyno.  Might just have to go break it in that way. 

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2022, 11:17:17 AM »
Check the cam bolt size and use the correct cam gear/dizzy gear depth spacing. If you went with a custom roller cam, the cores will sometimes have a different thread pitch on the timing gear bolt. If memory serves 7/16-14 vs 7/16-20. Dizzy gear has to be for the billet core and set at proper depth...don't trust your eyes/the holes..measure it. Just one of the many checks on the list before the first fire.
I took mine to a dyno and I feel it was worth it....definitely fun. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2022, 11:18:52 AM by HarleyJack17 »