Author Topic: FE Power PCV plate?  (Read 995 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Kevin McCullah

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
Re: FE Power PCV plate?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 10:48:19 AM »
That looks like a duplicate of the factory PCV basket like used on many of the high perf. manifolds in the 60's. I've never used that specific part shown in that add, but the factory ones worked fine. Of course your manifold has to be one that is machined for it......Jim Kramer

Blueoval77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 11:17:09 AM »
There is a better one floating around out there on ebay as well. Might be a blue thunder. Has the basket and the top plate and whole deal . I too wondered how effective they were. Can you ditch the valve cover ports all together if using one ?

Jb427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 06:43:30 PM »
100% do not run one of these with out the basket i have breathers only in my valve covers they are hemi style rectangle type ones i used 2 quarts of oil in less then 100miles after i forgot to install the basket. i now just blocked mine off and don't run one at all. i have a blue thunder basket new in packet if some one wants it but i don't live in the USA.

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 07:09:58 PM »
Oh yah, you've got to run the basket or you woun't be able to see to back out of your garage for all the smoke. I think all the 427s at least 65 and newer ran these with no other PCVs anywhere else. No problems. I'm working on setting one up on my Mustang, ( home made ). I'm thinking it will do a better job than the one in the VC......Jim Kramer

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 09:38:12 PM »
Use an inline PCV to be sure. My '64 427 came from the factory with a road-draft tube on the back of the manifold. You must also have a location for the air to go IN, such as the oil fill pipe and vent cap in the front.

KS

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 06:31:51 AM »
I run something similar to this with the the PCV into the back of my PI intake (with basket and birds nest).  I got mine from a company called CRAP that was in a northern mid west state.   I heard the horror stories  about sucking oil and all, but mine works beautifully.  A piece of 3/8" SS tubing bent at 90* and a couple of rubber couplings plugged into the base of my carb, breather caps on my VC's, sure does clean up under the hood
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 07:28:18 PM by Ranch »

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 10:33:36 AM »
I ran a plate on the back with a breather basket and "Brillo-pad" in it.  Top was a metal PCV valve with a hose connecting it to manifold vacuum.  Didn't have any problem on the street, but found that when I ran it on the track, from the top of third gear and into fourth, the exhaust would start trailing oil smoke.  Disconnected the PCV and the smoke went away.  Just too much oil in back of the lifter valley during prolonged high RPM and acceleration.  Now I run a breather in each valve cover and no issues.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W