Author Topic: Steering Wheel Issue - Taper Depth and Grounding  (Read 522 times)

CV355

• View Profile
Steering Wheel Issue - Taper Depth and Grounding
« on: February 14, 2022, 10:10:02 AM »
I wasted the better part of Sunday chasing an issue.  We swapped in an Ididit tilt column (Ford direct fit) into our '69 Mach 1.  The steering wheel adapter bottomed out against the column while I was torquing the center nut, locking the assembly in place.  I took a few measurements to compare the original column vs the new one and could not find any major difference.  Basically, the adapter runs up on the tapered shaft too far and instead of wheel gap being set by the taper fit, it's just striking the column tube.  I could turn the adapter down to "cheat" the wheel gap with no real risk anywhere, but I was curious if anyone else has run into this and if there's something I'm overlooking.

I did get the wheel assembly together temporarily so we could move the car.  The horn relay triggers when applying torque to the wheel, or any in/out force.  The wheel itself is solid.  The pogo pins in the switch line up correctly with the two slip rings.  It's all brand new components and the wiring is correct.  Talk about infuriating.

Any ideas? 

lstanford

• View Profile
Re: Steering Wheel Issue - Taper Depth and Grounding
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2022, 11:13:20 AM »
I had the same problem with my 1966 Fairlane and an Ididit column a few years ago. I finally did not tighten the steering wheel nut all the way down and used red lock tight on the nut.