Author Topic: To fill or not to fill .  (Read 944 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
To fill or not to fill .
« on: February 01, 2022, 01:51:43 PM »
Pond HD aluminum block.  I plan on running the snot outa it. Race only.
No fill ?
Half fill ?
2/3 fill ?
That be the question. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: To fill or not to fill .
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2022, 06:21:53 PM »
This is one of the newer Pond blocks, with the beefier main webbing, right?  If so, I wouldn't fill it.  One thing that is a big advantage for an aluminum block is being able to replace the sleeves.  If you fill the block a damaged sleeve would have to be bored out, and I think replacing a bored out sleeve might be problematic.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 08:52:00 AM »
Plus one Jay!

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 01:09:23 PM »
If you fill the block a damaged sleeve would have to be bored out, and I think replacing a bored out sleeve might be problematic.

Not sure of your concern here, as the only time this really would be problematic is in the instance of 'wet'-sleeves.  Otherwise, other than perhaps a little less elastcity in the cylinders requiring a little more 'push' on installation and paying closer attention to the fitment.  Otherwise the only real pain is the weight increase of the hole piece in handling; not so bad with aluminum blocks, but when someone brings in the cast iron, tall-deck, racing blocks filled,..............makes one wounder why I shouldn't change to the little four cylinder import stuff!   ::)

And I generally, with press-in type sleeves as typically encountered, we will bore them out, as this reduces the strain on the block casting and reduces damage to the existing cylinder bores upon removal.   :)

Scott.