Author Topic: Question for the clutch masters..  (Read 1214 times)

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
Question for the clutch masters..
« on: January 28, 2022, 08:32:10 PM »
I am replacing a diaphragm type clutch with a long style. Upon the inspection of my new pressure plate I find a possible problem. It appears as though the machining of one of the lever tips, ( where the TO bearing rides ), is not accurate. It seems to be beveled. Hopefully  my attached pictures show this clearly. Its only one of the levers. How critical is this? Can I dress this down? If I do it will leave this lever a few thousandths lower than the others. How critical would that be? The car is a street driven 67 Mustang 450-500 hp. It would be nice to be able to button this back up without a lot of dinking around but I dont want to have to go through this again in a few hundred miles. Thanks......Jim Kramer 

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the clutch masters..
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 10:16:51 PM »
If I understand your question correctly, all three of the arms should have a bevel on them where they contact the throw out bearing because they must travel in an arc as the throw out bearing moves back and forth.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 11:58:28 PM »
Yes they all have a radius that slides on the face of the TO bearing, but this " slant " is on the perpendicular plane to that radius. I tried to show with my pictures the amount of that " slant " compared to a true 90 degrees from say the face of the pressure plate. I realize that how I'm explaining this might be somewhat difficult to understand and I appreciate your taking the time to understand it........Jim Kramer 

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 02:05:25 AM »
Is what your talking about, in the top picture, that the scale reads, a little less than 1/16, at the bottom and a little more than 1/16 at the top? Not perpendicular to the top cover?
Frank

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 06:32:20 AM »
 It looks like the whole arm is slightly askew. Also, you don't have it bolted to the flywheel with the clutch plate. This will position the arms correctly to how they run and change the pressure point. Mock it up first and you will see where the bearing will actually touch, you can do it on the bench before putting it on the crank under the car. I've done it many times when I thought something didn't look right. 

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 10:35:26 AM »
It does look like the arm is askew, but it doesn't seem to be. Instead it looks like maybe it wasn't in the fixture properly when it was machined. Anyhow I drew a picture that hopefully will show it more clearly. The angle is exaggerated for clarity. Thanks......Jim Kramer

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 10:29:00 AM »
 I still think I would bolt the disc and PP down on the flywheel and check where the brg sets on the fingers. Garry

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »
I think probably that would be the next step. Thanks all for your responses......Jim Kramer

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 06:48:54 AM »
Run it...

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 06:57:47 AM »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Jim Kramer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 09:00:25 AM »
Thanks guys thats what I am gonna do. I did bolt the thing together on the bench yesterday and once the levers were down in their proper position things did look better. All the levers seem to have a small angle to the grind, but they all look the same so I'm happy. Now to wait for spring to show up  :).........Jim Kramer

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 12:03:18 PM »
The part of the bearing that the arm comes in contact with is stationary as the arm applies pressure (edit: stationary in relation to the throwout arm, if that makes it clearer). Then the bearing action starts coming into play. I can't see it causing any issues.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 12:06:21 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe