Author Topic: Blair Patrick's latest 506" FE  (Read 31533 times)

afret

Re: Blair Patrick's latest 506" FE
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 12:06:59 PM »
... is this some kind of a record for a wedge head without boost?

Here's one from Kuntz:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1242693778/Kuntz+505+ci-+dyno+results
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 12:09:09 PM by afret »

MC3780

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 01:03:14 PM »
Wow!! That is crazy big torque (and power) at that rpm.  Your intake-port CSA, port shape, and spot-on cam timing, must all be working very well together.  Doing this with NHRA legal port volumes valve diameters really goes to show it's about quality more than quantity.  Really impressive over achievement!!

>Mike C.

Ford428CJ

• FE FREAK!
    • View Profile
    • Hillside Auto
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
Real impressive #'s. Somewhat efficient combustion to boot. I wound if you could get it down to 32 and make its best #'s.... AWESOME engine for sure.
Wes Adams FORD428CJ 
Hillside Auto- Custom Curved, Blueprinted Distributors
03 F-250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.0 and 35's
64 Falcon 428FE
55 FORD Truck 4-link Rides on air with 428FE

Faron

• Dist Recurve Service l TotalPerfEntofPa@aol.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
A pic of the Engine

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
... is this some kind of a record for a wedge head without boost?

Here's one from Kuntz:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182/thread/1242693778/Kuntz+505+ci-+dyno+results

That one is really impressive.  But its also 40 pounds less torque, more cam, and nearly 1000 more RPM.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 05:52:35 PM »
A pic of the Engine

I am surprised the #6 header tube right off the head does not point more rearward. Must have something to do with the shape of the heads exhaust port inside and how it flows?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »
Blair asked me to post this update on the engine, which is now in the car and has had some track testing:

Had a "fun" day last Monday testing.  We rented the track at Steele, Al last Monday to make a few passes on a tamed down Super Stock T-Bolt. My friend and customer Rich Allen came down from NJ to yank the handle on the Liberty, and Joe Cunningham, who helps Richard with his car, came to tweak the clutch. The car is the bright red one that sold at Mecums last year. After some conversation, the new owner had me do a 500" stroker capable of making some laps so he can learn to drive the car without using up the legal engine. (Edit - the 500" stroker is the engine described earlier in this thread - Jay)  We ended up doing a SS legal top end, legal bore size in the block, and a stroker rotating assembly, with a little cam (.700 lift). This engine can be changed into another SS bullet with a cam change, and a 427 rotating assembly. It has big tires(106 rollout), and I put a 4.86 in the rear to keep the rpms low at the finish line with the stroker combo. After reading the data, it would pick up notably with a 5.14, and also with a little bit less clutch than we left in it. The tight clutch will last longer for the learning curve of the new owner. After a few short hits to tune the clutch, Richard made a couple of full runs......a 9.07 and a 9.08 at 148+ in the heat of the day. The track was marginal by that time, and the car was spinning the tires through high gear. The car is legal SS/B weight, and never got past 7100 rpm on the runs. We were all smiles that it ran 9.00's in the 3000+ DA, in a fairly detuned state (not talking about Alabama). I had a local witness to the occasion who posts here, and happens to own a SS Fairlane himself! We all had a good time and a good visit among FE friends. Richard went back home and ripped off a 9.22 with his own SS/F Cobra Jet last Friday also, at the D1 points race. I need to stay away from the racetrack! The burnt tires and fuel will have me putting my junk together if I am not careful!

You could honestly put tires and mufflers on the car and drive it around. It has fairly light valve springs normally used in late model dirt engines. A set of those big M/T DOT tires, and it would make a heck of a drag week N/A beast......but then it would need a trailer hitch also.

Blair Patrick
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 08:09:42 AM »
Neat! Very cool what they did with the engine specs. to save the NHRA-legal motor yet retain the option to still change over the one in the car.

Funny, when I read this the first time, it brought me back to a day long ago at Great Lakes Dragway @ Union Grove, WI . We were having some issues with our 10.90 doorslammer and went to the track to figure it out (we did luckily). While I was checking out our ride, my bro' wandered over to a car coming out of a trailer we'd never seen before. Turns out, it was a brand new 1972 Pro Stocker Duster with a destroked 396 Hemi, Lenco, etc. The car was heavily acid dipped were were told and was built IIRC by Dick Landy's west coast shop.  The destroker was due to the ever changing NHRA weight breaks at the time and methinks this one was at about 2,400 lbs., ready to run.

Anyway, bro' was excited to scope out all the tricks on this car and although the owners didn't allow the times to be called out over the loudspeakers, he got them to flash him each e.t slip after a run. The last run after a few easy break-in passes was exactly a 9.00 e.t at somewhere just under 160 MPH. This, a top-of-the-line NHRA legal Pro Stocker!

Amazing though that an FE powered SS car that could be street legal is now turning the same e.t.s.......just amazing. 

Bob Maag

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 02:55:53 PM »
If you believe in the various online calculators there is still a bunch more left in that car too...
The 148 MPH is "only showing" around 850ish HP at 3200 pounds...

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 10:30:25 PM »
You are right Barry..........we went 151 mph with the same car, with a little LESS power, with the optimum gear in the car.  It has a 4.86 in it for the sake of durability with the stroker, but a 5.14 would wake it up a bunch.  It was also spinning the tires about half way through third gear all the way to the end.  We could hear it turning the tires from the starting line, and also saw it on the graph.  We left the clutch kinda tight for the learning curve also.  It was pulling the engine back 1400 rpm on the launch.  A little base out of it would have cured that, and probably a little more counterweight for the upper end of the range.  It was also about 4000 ft DA that day.  I can see realistic 8.60's from that engine if it was tuned to do that.  For now, it just needs to make laps so the gentleman that bought it can learn to drive the car.
Blair Patrick

mummert

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 02:39:43 AM »
Looks like a solid running piece.  It certainly makes a big tq number.  My experience is that it takes a really good exhaust system and ignition timing tricks to pull off 1.6 ft lbs per inch.  Ive never seen it play out on the track though.
 The times look good for 4000 ft altitude I think you lose about 2.5 percent power per 1000ft.
 Nice looking engine got some sweet pieces on it. I wanted to see the collector a little better :D.
 Definiltey a lot of r&d.

whitea62.7t

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »
Could you run an automatic trans comp c4 or c6 with it?

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2015, 09:06:35 PM »
You certainly could.  I'd want the C4.........from Joel's on Joy..........and the "right" converter.  It would be quite a bit less effort to make the automatic work.  It takes a level of clutch expertise to make that happen with a stick shift.  I'm an automatic guy by neccessity, but I know who to go to for a clutch, LOL.
Blair Patrick

whitea62.7t

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2015, 10:59:18 AM »
i dont have the clutch expertise to make it work

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2015, 12:25:59 PM »
I love shifting the car, if my times suffer I think its still more fun...