Author Topic: More early gas and nitro SOHC development  (Read 1962 times)

machoneman

• View Profile
Bob Maag

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: More early gas and nitro SOHC development
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:33:55 AM »
The only error I noted was an insistence on putting 'and' into the middle of 'Dearborn Steel Tubing Company'. Otherwise good info.

I remember Nicholson in his Flip-Top Comet losing to Malcolm Durham's home-built chevelle at Milan. Nicholson pulled a giant wheelie and ran off the side of the pavement. He couldn't recover fast enough to catch Durham although he tried hard.

KS

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Re: More early gas and nitro SOHC development
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »
Almost a dream if I had not been there...... as it tells in the script: "Eddie Schartman’s Mercury Comet Air Lift Rattler, shown here in action at the Super Stock Nationals at New York National Speedway in 1967"

Imagine a time when you turned on the radio listening to Cousin Brucie on WABC Radio covering the hearts of NY, NJ and Conn and there were frequent advertisements: SUNDAY, SUNDAY at NEW YORK NATIONAL SPEEDWAY - Nationals, Match Races, AF/X, AA/FD, Fuel Alterds etc every spring through fall weekend.  Up to Super Stock they'd run four cars abreast all at once. I recall getting wetted by unburned fuel from the exhaust of the Lime Fire, Funny Car and the time a wheelstanding VW truck spun around on a return run and pinned several spectators against the guardrail behind the x-mas tree. I went up to the Foulger Ford Mustang and told them I was having clutch linkage problems. He told me to come back after the racing.  I got a personal tour by the light of a droplight of all the tricks on the linkage and chassis to beef things up.