Author Topic: Anyone have recommendations for a good borescope?  (Read 917 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
Anyone have recommendations for a good borescope?
« on: January 23, 2022, 05:31:32 PM »
I am going to purchase a borescope.
The main use will be going in spark plug holes, intake holes, and exhaust holes.......keep the jokes clean you guys.

I have been searching around and I see a general range of prices.
The $80-$150 Harbor Freight variety.
The $250-$600 tool brand name versions (Millwaukee, Klein, Rigid, Fluke and so on)
The industrial versions that begin around $400 and go into the $5,000 range.

I want something with a long flexible camera and a usable display screen....I have seen a few cheap versions with a screen so small it is basically not much use.

I don't need any extras like recording ability, special side views or multi camera heads, and while articulation sounds nice it also raises the price quite a lot, but its not off the table if it seems like a value.

Anyway, do any of you have a borescope you are using and like...or don't like?
Thanks and have a great day.

64PI

• View Profile
Re: Anyone have recommendations for a good borescope?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 06:09:22 PM »
DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope

$40 through Amazon. That’s what I have and it works surprisingly well. It syncs to your phone so your phone is the screen. The picture is very clear and has a brightness adjustment on the camera.

Fred

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 06:30:54 PM »
I purchased this one off of Amazon 2 years ago. It works pretty well if you're patient with maneuvering it. It has 2 camera lenses, bottom and side, and has a built in light. You can toggle between camera lenses and you can take pictures with it. It has it's own screen, which is bigger than most cell phone screens. It's listed as waterproof, but I haven't tested that. I used it on my 427 when I thought I had water issues in my oil. Everything looked good in the bores and it turned out it was just some condensation in my oil pan from sitting through the winter months.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085372W9Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&th=1
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ch3no2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 11:39:12 AM »
+1 on the DEPTECH.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »
DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope

$40 through Amazon. That’s what I have and it works surprisingly well. It syncs to your phone so your phone is the screen. The picture is very clear and has a brightness adjustment on the camera.

Fred

Mine is similar - it's a wifi cam and you link the phone to the SSID of the camera then use an app.  The only hitch was finding a cam app that worked well with it.  I'd have to look up which one it was. 

Image samples -

#5 on a 393C - cylinder wall crack

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2022, 09:26:54 AM »
Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate the input.

I would like to stay away from a WiFi unit that uses a cell phone as the screen.

A self contained unit is what I am after.