Author Topic: Another valve train question  (Read 777 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Another valve train question
« on: January 21, 2022, 04:06:17 PM »
I was setting up my valves and the roller tip was way to close to the intake side.
I ordered a pair of .100 spacers from Brent.
They helped but my witness mark was still to close to the intake edge.
This is with the POP low riser stands on Edelbrock heads[6008] and H/S rockers.
I had ordered a set of medinum riser stands for a friend's build and decided to try them out on one head.
Results are the witness mark is in the middle of the valve tip. .18 thou from each edge.
I took one of the POP stands and compared it to the angleluca stands and can not find any measurable difference between them using a caliper.
I would just order a new set of POP stands but can't find their website and I am barred from Facebook so can't contact him.
No answer on his phone.
Anybody make stands simular to the POP stands in medinum riser height?
I did a search and couldn't find anything that didn't include the rockers and other parts as a kit.
Thanks
Greg

centredautomag

• View Profile
Re: Another valve train question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 05:27:04 PM »
I needed .200 on my craft heads with Harland sharp rocker set.Marc

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 05:49:31 PM »
........... the roller tip was way to close to the intake side.
I ordered a pair of .100 spacers...........
They helped but my witness mark was still to close to the intake edge.
...........a set of medinum riser stands for a friend's build and decided to try them out on one head.  Results are the witness mark is in the middle of the valve tip.
I would just order a new set of POP stands
Anybody make stands simular to the POP stands in medinum riser height?

Just to clarify, and not to be at odds with your observations or conclusions, but, although the stands may be the issue here, they may not, and this effect may not be being properly addressed solely via a stand height change.  Establish the height requirement for the best relationship in the rocker arm to valve motion first, then look at the position of rocker arm to valve stem tip issue second; as these are actually two separate issues, though a compromise of one or both is sometimes required for an expedient result.    :)

Scott.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 06:37:42 PM »
I seem to recall MR and LR stands are the same height.  They are different thickness to account for the different valve spacing.  Maybe I'm not remembering it correctly.  I have no explanation for why there appears to be a geometry difference between those stands.

Mr Woodys Garage

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »
Make Sure That The Adjusters On The Harlan Sharp Rockers are No More Than 2 Threads Showing When Doing This Mock Up/ Geometry Check. Try A Turn Either Way, And Keep Checking Your Location/Pattern. I Have HS Rockers On My 428, With Trick Folw Heads,Set Them Up As Reccomended, Didn't Need Shims Or Cut Down Stands Or Anything. Parts Have A Way Of Stacking Tolerances, And Different Combinations Can Have Different Results. Good Luck.