Author Topic: Some 6v questions  (Read 1920 times)

country63sedan

• View Profile
Some 6v questions
« on: January 15, 2022, 03:17:17 PM »
It's been awhile since I've posted, but it's time to kit and shelve a set of 6v carbs. They seem to be unmolested, but I want to make sure....Should they have 61 jets in the primary and 66 jets in the secondary? The choke is missing, but I think I have enough parts to make that work. Does anyone have a link to the shop manual supplement? The one I did find locked up my computer. I'll buy it if I have to, but thought I would try free first. This will be going on a mild 410 that remains to be built.

I now have 2 setups. I think one is over the counter with everything but the carbs and one is a complete setup from a running engine. There are notable differences between the manifolds and linkage. The fill cap is different, the fill tube is different, the finish on the manifolds and linkage is different, one has bosses for the rat trap but they aren't tapped while the other does not have bosses at all.

I could get pics if anyone is interested, but that would mean going back out in the cold. ;)
Later, Travis

thatdarncat

• View Profile
Re: Some 6v questions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 05:02:09 PM »
I assume you have the C1AE-9510-AU List 2437 & C1AE-9510-AV List 2436 carbs, yes the stock jetting is 61 in the List 2436 and 66 in the List 2437.

Also if you want to double check - it’s metering block #3440 in the List 2436 and metering block #3434 in the List 2437.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 05:24:06 PM »
Sweet, metering blocks and jets are all correct...Now I just need to scrounge enough parts to get a choke back on it. Thanks, Travis

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 11:11:59 PM »
Are you sure that one of them is not a T-Bird intake. Are the carb mounting surfaces the same height on both. T-Birds were flat with bosses for auto Kick-down.
Richard >>> FERoadster

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 08:29:13 AM »
No t-bird stuff here--they both have stair step carb pads. I'm not sure when I'll get the chance to take some pics, so I'll try to describe the differences here. Maybe no one else cares, but I found it interesting when comparing the two.

"over the counter"                                                                                                                            "other one"
short chrome oil fill tube                                                                                                                    taller fill tube with a "scoop" toward the front (for less oil mist I assume)
date code is ground off                                                                                                                      2K date code
surface finish is smoother--almost like it was polished but not quite                                                 looks like standard alum intake, but I haven't washed it yet
heater hose elbow is chrome                                                                                                             goldish color like carbs etc
linkage is chromish and different welds at the bellcrank                                                                    goldish
bosses for the rat trap but they aren't tapped                                                                                   no bosses at all
fuel log is chromish                                                                                                                             goldish

I'm sure I'll have some more dumb questions about the carbs. I was thinking about how to get vacuum for the distributor yesterday. Still haven't ordered the shop manual supplement. Later, Travis

country63sedan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 01:35:36 PM »
Well, I got kits installed the other night. I even painted them and I feel I came pretty close to the right color/finish. I don't have enough parts for the choke, so I was looking around the internet. I came across a conversation on the old forum about different float bowls with different sight hole heights. Needless to say------there is a difference in the float bowls and I put them together wrong...

Just a public service announcement for those who don't always pay attention like they should. Later, Travis.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 09:12:08 AM »
Don't get any gas on the outside of them, it will take your paint right off.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 07:46:05 AM »
The 2 metering blocks, 3440 & 3434 are they still available? Anyone know where I can find them. I did a quick search and didn't find anything. Could they be listed under a different number. The numbers on the ones I've found are longer than 4 digits. Thanks, Dan

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2022, 09:05:15 AM »
Dan, for the metering block info. I would contact Drew Pojedinec who is on this forum and Air Fuel Spark on FB. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2022, 02:15:04 PM »
Is there a catalog of metering blocks available or, a list of metering blocks, giving their specs?

I have about 10 blocks that I don't have any ideal of what they fit. It would be nice to know what the specs are, so you could match them up or modify them to match different carbs.
Frank

Fpcopo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 10:31:23 PM »
They are available from Holley but expensive and there are very few of them.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 09:06:32 AM »
No there is no metering block reference book.
No the reproduction 3x2 metering blocks aren't the same as the original.
Yes, it's easy enough to make your own based on original calibration specs.
Yes it matters, the 3x2 metering arrangement is not "normal" but it works fantastically.
Yes, the bowls are different for 3x2, the outboards are very very low for fuel settings.  Not a big deal really, just set the floats low.
Yes, I have original specs for all of this.