Author Topic: Interesting 67 Shelby gt350 drag car  (Read 2503 times)

482supersnake

• View Profile
Interesting 67 Shelby gt350 drag car
« on: January 09, 2022, 12:28:53 AM »
https://youtu.be/aIj4-HGI6Zk

Someone here might know this car.

Gregwill16

• View Profile
Re: Interesting 67 Shelby gt350 drag car
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 10:06:41 AM »
Very cool!

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 11:55:28 AM »
I can't believe these guys seemed have no clue about the US 30 dragstrip!  And Burbank, IL isn't far from there, and was always a hotbed of performance cars.

Burbank, home of Dukes.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 12:05:30 PM by Dumpling »

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 01:57:46 AM »
I grew up in Lakewood, Ca. I knew of Duke's in the valley. I spent time at Mel's on Firestone Blvd in Downey, Frisco Burger and IN n Out on Bellflower Blvd in  Lakewood. I also spent time at Terminal Island and remember Big Willie.  Joe Reath also did my first engine balance and heads. Ed "Isky" Iskandarian was also there when I picked them up.  Leyland of Curtis and Crhristenson on Anaheim Blvd did the block.  There was no shortage of "fathers of speed" in Long Beach and Signal Hill.
I left Ca 20 year ago. Tragic what has been done because of a one party system there.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 02:10:36 AM by Keith Stevens »

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 11:02:11 AM »
     The car has been discussed over on the SAAC site. There is NO way anyone "at this point" can positively say which car it is. ALL of the vin numbers "were" on the front end that was cut off. Despite MANY people trying to help , there is simply no way to know. 1444 is a GUESS at best because of information from the SAAC registry. The car by their own account was NEVER finished OR raced so how can it be significant??
   One BIG problem with all of the publicity is NOW if the front end is replaced AND there are VIN numbers on it , SOMEONE is going to jail for "vin tampering"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 11:05:20 AM by gt350hr »

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 08:26:35 PM »
Btw, tons of posts on YouTube questioning or defending the car's provenance. I think it is a std. Mustang, heavily modified, painted in Shelby colors. Way too many inconsistencies and mods IMO. Further, even way back then, a real Shelby was worth a lot more than a run of the mill 'Stang, hence cutting one up like this would have been a sin!

Seriously, many have pointed out the thick and like new roll bar padding ('60's stuff was thin, would have fallen off by now), brake ducts with pull pins (?) no VIN, headers painted with white VHT-like paint (any even minimal run time and they would have been discolored) and many more. Hey, if they sell it as a clone, I've no issue....but bet someone wants to cash in on the alleged Shelby affiliation. Dollars to donuts as they say!   
Bob Maag

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 01:53:20 PM »
I watched the video but, have no opinion on it pedigree.

Regarding this:
Further, even way back then, a real Shelby was worth a lot more than a run of the mill 'Stang, hence cutting one up like this would have been a sin!

Though it wasn't a Shelby, I will say, that in the '70's, I sinned  :'(

At least in SoCal, these cars weren't worth what you might think.
Frank

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 04:17:44 PM »
Could have been crashed or stolen. vin numbers disappear for various reasons.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2022, 06:14:56 PM »
Could have been crashed or stolen. vin numbers disappear for various reasons.

True. If it had been wrecked, then it would make sense that the rebuild into a racer could have occurred.
Bob Maag

mike7570

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 11:49:09 PM »

Regarding this:
Further, even way back then, a real Shelby was worth a lot more than a run of the mill 'Stang, hence cutting one up like this would have been a sin!

Sold my real 67 GT500 for $4,500 in 1979. Hey it was more than I paid for it!

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 09:07:24 AM »

Regarding this:

Sold my real 67 GT500 for $4,500 in 1979. Hey it was more than I paid for it!

With the first gas crisis, many a muscle car got traded in for Vegas, Pintos or other 4-door grocery getters. Those cars did languish on used car lots for a long time and many got pushed to the back rows as high gas prices ($1.00 gallon, geez whish we paid that today!) and high young adult insurance premiums killed off the fast car scene.

That all said, the really rare cars (440 six pack, Hemis, 427 Chevvies, Boss Fords, Shelbys, Cobras, etc.) did hold more value than more run-of-the-mill muscle cars. In fact, it was the NOT rare ones that dealers had real trouble selling even years later. Having lived in Chicago in that era, many muscle car dealers (Nickey, Mr. Norm, etc.) refused trades or priced them really low, knowing the era was over and gas guzzlers were on their way out. Those Vegas and Pintos reigned supreme for many years thereafter.

I still submit that Shelbys, as you noted, did hold a higher value even way back then when compared to more mass-produced muscle cars.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 04:56:51 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 03:34:40 PM »
Well, maybe off the dealers lots, they may have had premium but, in private party sells, not much. I don't remember a price but, when the Hertz, GT 350 came on the market, they sold pretty cheap. There weren't many, pristine Pony or Muscle cars, most, in those days, were rode pretty hard, at least in my area.

From the 70's to the 80's, there really wasn't a collectors market, to speak of. I had a hell of a time selling my two, K code cars, I couldn't get $600 for my avatar car and the sin I committed was with my '64, K code Sports Coupe.

I couldn't sell it in late '68, when I ordered a '69 SCJ (had to sell for the down payment so. I didn't get it) nor in '71 when I didn't have room for it, after starting racing.

My sin was that I pulled the Engine and trans and had it hauled off, for scrap, it was still pretty nice car. I let the 9" go with it.

The Fairlane and the Mustang, were advertised in the OC news paper (Register) off and on, for about 3 months (twice for the Fairlane). After about 6 mo, I wound up getting a good deal on the Must. A friend from HS wanted it and traded his '55 Nomad for it, I sold the Nomad in less than a month, for $900. And I, for sure, didn't want a GT 350 or 500.
Frank

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 04:55:27 PM »
Too bad you didn't live in the Chicago area then. Prices did vary by locale.
Bob Maag

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 12:52:40 AM »
The cars didn't really start to appreciate until Gone In 60 Seconds was released in 99'. 
I think Randy will remember the rusted out 67' GT350 hulk that was turned into a pro touring car. ( White with blue Le Mans stripes. It's the real deal.
The story I recall the cost at the time far exceeded the 67 GT350 value at the time.  ( late 80s, early 90s.)
Yes, most of us these days would look at it as sacrilege but there were plenty of cars in the 3-5K range in the early 80s in So Ca.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 10:56:49 AM »
   Vaguely remember it.