Author Topic: Auto Mechanics & why  (Read 1240 times)

frnkeore

• View Profile
Auto Mechanics & why
« on: January 06, 2022, 04:05:12 AM »
I notice in the "retirement" thread, that there are a lot of mechanics in this forum and some said that they stayed longer than they wanted to. My question is not, why they stayed but, what where the reasons that they got disenchanted with the occupation.

I was a mechanic, for 8 years ('62/'70), including when I was drafted and went into the Army ('65/'67). I learned a lot in the Army schools, about diesels and track vehicles. Never used it after the Army but, I've always liked learning.

I fell in love with cars and racing, at a early age (10 yrs old) and though the road to racing, was to become a mechanic. My dad was a Ford mechanic (at a Authorized Ford Rebuilder, Meyer & Welch), before me so, I got some tools to start with and he taught me a lot. Plus I helped work on very car I could.

I started at a low end shop, that did the cheapest repairs possible, Like grinding one main or rod, in the car, with only the pan off. I was literally, always up to my elbows in grease. Heavy slug was common in those days but, I was happy, just being a mechanic and made a lot of friends, that just happened to need help ;)

But, after my second year, out of the Army, I started to get disenchanted. Doing engine or trans work, under a car, everything I did, seemed to bang the exhaust pipe and get rust in my eyes or oil dripping in my eyes, hair and face. My hair was just long enough, that it would sometimes, drag in the oil, when rolling around on a creeper. I also noticed my chest got sore, bending over fenders. But, the thing that was the worst, was that just bolting a part on and taking it off wasn't all that great, like it was when I started. I was thinking more about how the parts were made and what made them work. I was offered a high paying job with a city and took it, for the next 5 years!

My best friend, became a machinist after HS and in those 5 yrs, I bought a mill and lathe and he taught me the trade. I started doing it part time in '73 and full time in '76, when I sold my house and started my own business. I still love working on my own cars but, don't miss doing it as a living.

For those that said they stayed as a mechanic but, only because it payed well. What were the things that ended your love for it?
Frank

428kidd

• View Profile
Re: Auto Mechanics & why
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 09:20:46 AM »
Frank im not a auto mechanic for a trade, but work in a body shop, and have for 21 years. While i cant speak for everyone, i used to love what i did, not so much now. I still like it on days, but im i in love with it still no? Different things play a role in that. Having to deal with insurance company's that mandate what they will pay for sucks! Some people suck as well. Most people never look at a vehicle even when buying new. I mean really look at them, like color match to bumpers and the like, and gaps, but they sure do if its wrecked. Then is the well i got hit and my check engine light came on or my radio stopped working bla bla bla , ive heard it all. Then there is the way i stay, there is no one to replace me my age or younger, no ones is getting in to the business. I can even hire some one my age or younger to work in the shop. I guess its like anything if you do it long enough you get burnt out, but dealing with the public is also tough. Thanks Lance

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 09:42:50 AM »
Simple. There is tremendous satisfaction in making a proper repair in spite of all the reasons you listed Frank. Today you deal with seemingly stupid engineering, manufacturers dictating what you can and can't do, unavailable parts, crappy parts, unreasonable customers, office politics and you are usually mostly unappreciated. I figured the only way I could be happy and work the way I wanted to work was to work for myself and that is exactly what I did.No regrets.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 10:20:10 AM »
For myself, I have always been a "car nut", and basically started working on my cars as a neccessity, I like beating on my old 57 Fords pretty hard, so when the 3 speed transmission would break (on a fairly regular basis!), or I would break the spider gears in the rear end, I could not afford to pay somebody else to fix my broken down crap. And when I started drag racing in the mid 70s, I broke more stuff. In my late teens I was working at a lumber mill, that my father worked in for his entire working career , but I hated it, so when a racing buddy, who was a service manager at a big Firestone Tire and Auto center offered me a job changing tires, I took it. Eventually got into brakes, suspension, tune ups etc, later worked at a high volume engine rebuilding shop for 5 years, then another buddy was a service writer at a dealership for a new Korean car line, called Hyundai, so I took his offer to work there as a line mechanic in 1986. Got my government auto mechanic certification in the 90s, and then left Hyundai, and went to a Toyota dealership in 1996, and stayed there until I retired in 2020. My disenchantment as a mechanic likely started in the last few years at Hyundai, sales were dropping, the work in the shop got less and less, so what had been a pretty good income dropped substantially before the dealership closed its doors, which is when I went to Toyota. Things were pretty good there for years, until several different management "teams" came and left, and started cutting hours for the gravy retail jobs, followed by a shift from 5 8 hour days, to 4 10 hour days, and now having to work on saturdays. Then Toyota decided the techs were doing much of the warranty too fast, so they started to constantly cutting back on many of the warranty and recall jobs, which meant that we were having to work harder for less money. Some of the times allowed for certain repairs under warranty were ridiculously low, so some jobs were money losers, which led to friction between the suits at head office, the dealership management team, and the techs themselves, as it seems every shop has the favorites who get fed the cream, and the rest got fed the crappy jobs. Often never got paid for diagnosis time, or given extra time due to prior damage, rusty /broken bolts, previous mickey mouse "repairs" by other people, modifications that mase access more difficult , etc (Sorry, a water pump pays x amount, we dont care if somebody added a supercharger, air compressor, skid plates, and jacked up their truck 6 inches, no extra time). As one gets older, your tolerance for BS diminishes, especially when the work slows down during "slow seasons", and being on flat rate, you are standing around waiting for jobs, NOT getting paid for being there unless you are actually clocked onto a job. Then add in the constantly changing technology that you are expected to invest YOUR time into learning, your body getting worn out from all the lifting, bending over, standing on a concrete floor all day, burns, cuts, blisters etc, it just was not fun anymore. It got to the point where you dreaded going to work every day. Plus, living 20 miles from work, meant commuting in bumper to bumper "rush hour " traffic every day, just made me say enough. Dont get me wrong, it provided us with a pretty good living, and all that, but in the last 6 or 8 years that I was working, the shitty days outnumbered the good days.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 10:31:08 AM »
Simple. There is tremendous satisfaction in making a proper repair in spite of all the reasons you listed Frank. Today you deal with seemingly stupid engineering, manufacturers dictating what you can and can't do, unavailable parts, crappy parts, unreasonable customers, office politics and you are usually mostly unappreciated. I figured the only way I could be happy and work the way I wanted to work was to work for myself and that is exactly what I did.No regrets.
So true, office politics was a huge issue, especially when a new manager comes in and wants to make big changes to make himself look good. And having your bay or hoist tied up, waiting for parts, customer approval, some suit from head office come and look to see if something will be considered a warranty or "goodwill" policy, which you are standing around, not making any money, sucks. As for "stupid engineering", when they say, for example a 6 cylinder spark plug replacement pays a certain amount for any 6 cylinder vehicle, yet one is an easy to get at PU truck, and the other is a transverse V6 which requires either removing the intake upper plenum off for access, or lots of swearing and bloody hands to do it by the Braille method, that just sucks. And it seems modern vehicles just keep getting more difficult to actually work on. Things like water pumps, or starter motors, alternators, power steering pumps, AC compressors etc, some are pretty simple to work on, some require the engine and front subframe to be removed! Some like the older Toyota Tundra PUs, they buried the starter motor underneath the intake manifold!
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 10:47:39 AM »
I'm a "knowledge worker", nice inside office.  I like working on my race cars and always have.  Like a lot of guys, I had to learn how to keep my junk running because I couldn't afford to just pay somebody. I'd beat it up on Friday and Saturday nights, then put a new clutch in the car Sunday to get to work on Monday.  I did think at one time I wanted to be in the business.  A good older friend that was a senior line mechanic and taught me a lot said point blank "Don't, it's a hard living".  I gave it a couple of shots and yea - it's a tough business.  Could I do it - sure.  Did I really want to?  No.  I did better being the "computer guy" and following that path from the early 80s. 

So here I sit with a good paying job, working with good people and liking what I do.  I get to be involved in lots of important projects and I'm considered a senior member of the team.  I could easily keep this going.  But there's that "me time" thing that I've put off for 48 years.  If I just keep on it then get to where I "have" to quit because of medical or what not - then I'll probably feel like I cheated myself out of some time that I could have used for other things.  Will I drop out at 66 and 4 months to draw SS?  That's November 2022.  Likely not.  But - I'm getting to where I don't really want to run far past that mark.  I may have to do with less, but the idea of what time I may be gifted could be used as I see fit is certainly appealing.    A side note - my dad passed at 49, so being 65 means to me I've been on borrowed time for quite a while. 

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 02:06:47 PM »
I realized early on that if you wanted "stuff" you had to work. Nobody was giving out money that I knew of.
My dad had a used car lot and I started working for him when I was 15, in 1975. We did it all, bought and sold cars and trucks, repaired them prior to and after the sale, and the part I hated the most...washed and kept the inventory nice for prospective customers constantly.
When the opportunity for an apprenticeship at a factory Mercedes Benz shop opened I jumped at it. I realized quickly that German engineers are not very friendly and derive great pleasure calling you stupid to your face. They thought all Americans were stupid. But the pay was good for a young guy living at home and his street racing habit his only expense.
It snowballed from there. Went on to get Volvo certifications as well. I hated school and chose the automotive trade as an alternative to higher education. I ended up going to school virtually every year of my automotive career several times each year. That was a grind.
It evolved into having my own shop primarily working on European cars. I don't know why people buy high end European cars, but they do and pay dearly have have them repaired which they need quite often.
Long story long, after dealing with incompetent and lazy parts guys, talking to customers that think you're a thief, working more with a laptop more than a wrench for a repair, and the bane of my existence...getting the check engine light to stay off so the car will pass smog check, I am done. Didn't bring any scan tools home.
It was a good living and enabled me to retire at 58, but I don't want to do it anymore. If someone has a '60's or early '70's car that needs looking at, I'll do it. Newer than that...NO!

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2022, 03:14:59 PM »
My dad was a racer in the 50's until the 70's so I got the bug early.
I tore down my first engine at 11years old.
It was dad's spare flathead for his angila gasser.
He came home and was a little upset too see his engine in parts and said since I tore it down I would have to put it back together.
I did it 3 times before I got it to his satisfication. The bad part was he made me wait 3 days between builds and that Indian Head gasket sealer would get set up and I would have to take a hammer and chisel and take about two hours removing the heads.
Went to auto shop for my Hi school years and learned a lot and still enjoyed working on car's.
A little break for Uncle Sam and then back to the Ford garage for a few years.
Got tired of the warrantee work not paying so went to work for my best friend who had a auto and diesel repair shop.
Did that for 20+ years and got tired of having to pay so much for paint and body work so I went to work for another friend who is my present partner in our 2 paint and body shop's.
I got to where it just hurt to much to work on car's anymore so I just quit doing everyday work and just manage now when I feel like it. I would quit but if I did my partner would not be able to keep the shop's open.
He is the type of person who will die on the job.
He is crippled up from a lifetime of working on car's but can't quit. 
Oh well I have 2 projects left before I kick the bucket to finish but am eye balling a 46 Nash that I could put my extra 312 into.
Greg

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »
+1 to all of the above. I started as an ODOT (Ohio Department Of Transportation) mechanic out of school. Went on to other mechanics jobs, then maintenance work when I went to work for a private university. After 15 years of that, I took the campus mechanics job for my last 15 years, working on everything from gas powered hand equipment, to fleet vehicles, to tractors...and everything in between. Over 100 pieces of equipment in all, not to mention all the requests to fix oddball mechanical stuff on campus. I actually enjoyed my job. Something different to work on every day, and I punched a clock, so no "piece work".

Then quality started going down fast, in everything. Cheap was the name of the game, and quality suffered, making the job a real PITA. Trying to keep up with automotive changes was damn near impossible unless you studied it full time. Same with hand equipment. Stihl has gone from a really good product to mostly crap. Mowers are all now fuel injected with computers. A Toro commercial mower would last me 15 years with good maintenance. Now they're designed to last 5 at the most. You have to pull an engine just to change a starter. Really? WTF? I freakin hate engineers. Don't even get me started on parts people who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

During all this change, management just expected you to stay on top of everything, while telling me to be happy with either smaller raises, or no raise at all for the last 10+ years (you know, times are tough, and they just couldn't afford it). A 2-3% increase in pay, while professors and managers were getting 10%-20%, plus bonuses, all while shitting on the workers. 15 years ago they took away my retirement insurance. Then they took away my 30 year employment pension.

Another case in point on management: My mom got into a severe car accident 3 years ago and was in the ER at the local hospital. I asked to leave work to attend to her....and got threatened with a write-up if I did. I didn't leave, but got wrote up anyway for telling the Director what I thought of his "management". THAT'S how management treats workers at Ohio Northern University and Sodexo, and after 31 years of employment. Worst POS human beings I've ever encountered in my life. I was done. I could go on and on and on, but you get the idea.

Now they can't find anyone to replace me for the paltry $20 hr they're offering. Go figure. They have workers trying to figure stuff out, and having to send everything out for repairs. They can choke on it.

Sorry for the rant. I'm done.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2022, 03:48:02 PM »
>It was a good living and enabled me to retire at 58, but I don't want to do it anymore. If someone has a '60's or early '70's car that needs looking at, I'll do it. Newer than that...NO!

100%.  I have to two race cars.  Fun.  The 2021 F-150 and the coming 2022 F-350 go to a trusted dealer for everything, including oil changes.  I can wait in the lobby, or drop of and they take me to work and pick me up.  There's no DIY with those things.  DIY is writing the check for a 6 year 100K ESP Premium warranty.  Jimmy's shop rate at the Lincoln house is like $140/hr.  People have no idea.  He has to maintain and update a laptop for Ford/Lincoln and another for Mazda - hell no can't run both software on the same machine.  They finally last couple of years replaced the alignment machine - $100K.  I used to get free alignment checks on the cars because he'd let me pull the alignment computer apart, clean the boards and reassemble to make it work vs him having someone come from Dallas to service it. 

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2022, 04:05:15 PM »
Don't even get me started on parts people who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

This has been a real disappointment to me! About 20 years ago, big parts stores, started buying smaller ones, here in my area.

In doing that, I saw all the good pats guys, started to disappear. I used to go to a parts house and ask for something, the guy would go back and get it. 90% of the time, it was what I wanted. Now, they look in their parts book and "I" have to explain to them, what "they" are looking for. I also see a BIG rotation of "parts guys" (I use the term loosely), where in my day, they were a standard fixture and new most every American car.

Speaking of that, when I was a mechanic and a foreign car came in, it was sent to the one or two, Foreign Car shops, that were in town.
Frank

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 05:02:17 PM »
I think the key word here is retirement, which means everyone here seen the times change. Down at my local very small Ford dealership is a 30 something go getter that isn't afraid to tackle anything. The guy is amazing, has the usual bitches but is not yet disallusioned. His biggest bitch is getting parts that work right from Ford. Loves his work and work place. Wish I could be around in 30 years to see his attitude then. Damn electric cars.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 11:52:58 PM »
I find, to my amazement, that my own experience is quite different than those who've commented here.

First of all, I'll be 81 come May. I set out to study Chemistry after high school, and one semester after finishing chem, I also got a degree in Sociology. My dad was an electrical contractor for most of my early life and ended as Division Chief Electrical Engineer at FoMoCo. I started working on cars through interest, in my teens. My ability to change a blown head gasket or work on the ignition system of an XK 140 Jag meant extra pocket money in school.

I worked at Ford for five years total, partly as summer jobs while home from college and partly in Quality Control after I graduated.

I was semi-retired for several years, bored and so on, and had a chance to join a group of medical practice consultants. I now help bring a new therapy to existing practices and also help start new practices as well. We offer an alternative to joint replacement surgery, an alternative that takes a half-hour and helps the body to help itself. We deal with causes instead of effects. Medicine too often these days offers something to mask pain instead of helping with repair.

I don't expect to ever retire. I need, in large measure, to have others do my car work for me these days, but I also expect to retain my interest for all the forseeable future. And the future looks bright.

KS