Author Topic: Best way to pull a stuck pulley/gear off a shaft, no luck so far  (Read 1363 times)

ogasman

• View Profile
Best way to pull a stuck pulley/gear off a shaft, no luck so far
« on: December 06, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
Bought a new to me mortar mixer with a bad bearing.  Did not give much for it, it needs a lot of TLC to make it run.  Big gear has to come off to change the bearing.  Probably a 1.5 inch shaft.  Penetrating oil with a puller, no good.  Oil, puller, heated with a torch, no bueno.  Oil, puller, heat, BFH, still nothing.  Any other ideas?  Hate to break it, no way to replace it.

Thanks Paul

kraut61

• View Profile
Re: Best way to pull a stuck pulley/gear off a shaft, no luck so far
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 05:23:46 PM »
I saw large flywheel have to get heated on the "outside perimeter" due to the fact it was keeping the "shaft hub area" from growing no matter how much heat was put on it???

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 05:26:03 PM »
Heat it with a torch, then melt a birthday candle on the shaft so the wax can wick under the gear.  I read the tip on here, or the old forum,  a long time back and have used it many times with success when penetrant has failed.  Good luck

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 07:43:30 AM »
Heat it with a torch, then melt a birthday candle on the shaft so the wax can wick under the gear.  I read the tip on here, or the old forum,  a long time back and have used it many times with success when penetrant has failed.  Good luck

2X to the wax trick. Tilt the entire unit, the best you can, to allow the wax to drip down into the shaft area as opposed to running off at a 90 degree angle. I'd also bang on the gear at the same time the wax is applied.
Bob Maag

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2021, 08:38:34 AM »
X3. I've used things like Blaster also when I didn't have a candle. It works like a plumber soldering joints. The heat draws in the wax to loosen it.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 11:34:22 AM »
I've got an exhaust donut going out on the 93 F-350 driver's side.  I may have to try the candle trick on the studs.  The studs and nuts are the same ones Mother Ford put on there, so they'll not be that easy to free up. 

NIsaacs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »
You need a bigger puller. Can you use this combo? Enough room?

Large bearing splitter and large bolt on puller.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/SER2265?impressionRank=4

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7394-Universal-Hub-Puller/dp/B0002SRH60/ref=psdc_15708881_t1_B012P0QV5K
« Last Edit: December 09, 2021, 06:13:20 PM by NIsaacs »
2021 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins of course!
2017 Ford Escape, 2.0 Eco Boost
2001 Ram 2500 4x4 QC short bed, Cummins, 6spd, some mods
1991 Dodge D250, reg cab, Cummins, 5spd, mods
1974 F-350, Cummins, 5spd, 3spd aux, mods
1975 F-250 4x4, 428, C-6, Sled Puller

JoeH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2021, 09:30:18 PM »
X2 on bigger/biggest puller, also make sure all set screws are removed. I got caught on that one, I removed 2 set screws, drove the sprocket off only to find the third one was hidden by grease and
crud, and of course I bent the sprocket and it was unobtanium so it turned a 2 hour job into an all nighter replacing the shaft, building a new sprocket etc.

Also by removing the set screws you can see if they were doubled up in the hole, yup, got caught on that one too! Good luck!  Joe

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
Drill and tap 2 or more holes equally spaced around the gear, parallel to the shaft, oriented so that when you thread bolts into them, they push against the bearing, or something solid.

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 08:46:18 AM »
Turn a large can of compressed air upside down and chill the shaft both sides of the gear as fast as you can while puller is loaded up on the gear, then give it a smack or tighten puller more.
Will take a whole can of something or cobble together some way of applying dry ice to the shaft only as much as possible, -50C or more does wonders for shrinkage.  Heck both parts super chilled will behave much different.