Author Topic: Brake Controller  (Read 2318 times)

JimNolan

• 63 Galaxie XL 410ci / 57 Fairlane 500 390ci
    • View Profile
Brake Controller
« on: April 28, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »
Guys,
   I know this is out of the ordinary for a topic but since a lot of guys on here race cars I thought I might get some advice. I had trouble this week in Ohio and had to turn around and go home with my trailer. I don't know if it's something I'm doing wrong or the truck and trailer is doing wrong. Here's my problem. I'm using a Tekonsha P3 Electric Brake Controller (175.00 supposed to be good one) Sure-Trac 4 wheel brake trailer ( used 5 times in last 4 years) towing @ 6,000 lbs.
1. Truck brake line rusted into last week and had new brake line installed. Trailer pulled great starting out.
2. ABS light and Brake lite on dash came on in Ohio. Brakes started getting hot and smelling. Braking with trailer was fine until then.
3. GM dealer said I needed ABS module but I should be OK to travel.
4. Power was set on 10Volts with Boost on B1.
5. I get initial braking for about 2 seconds and then nothing until brake pedal is down a long way, then the trailer brakes work. Brakes on truck seem to be all that's stopping it until the pedal is down a long way. I increased Boost to B2 and I get better braking for 2 seconds and back to nothing until brake pedal is down quiet a way and then trailer brakes work.

Without the trailer you can't push the brake pedal down very far until you start skidding tires on the truck. Brakes are great on truck. But with the load I'm wearing my brakes out until I'm really down on the pedal. Slowing down gradually with the trailer brakes seems impossible. Help, is it something I'm setting wrong.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:32:53 AM by JimNolan »

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Brake Controller
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:12:03 AM »
Check your truck brake line again. Air has a nasty habit of lurking in the system. Than check your trailer connection, make sure your grounds are complete. I have had the ground look ok but rust has a way of making connections do werid things.

sixty9cobra

• View Profile
Re: Brake Controller
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 07:29:34 AM »
They work on inertia if the car isnt slowing down it wont apply trailer brakes. Doesnt the controller have a lever that you can apply the brakes.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:48:51 AM by sixty9cobra »