Author Topic: Intake leaking oil back of motor  (Read 2762 times)

Saltshaker

• View Profile
Intake leaking oil back of motor
« on: November 20, 2021, 03:58:47 PM »
It is leaking at the back where the intake meets the block. Is there another way to fix it without pulling the intake?
I use “the right stuff “ to seal it
Jon
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 05:17:33 PM by Saltshaker »

GerryP

• View Profile
Re: Intake leaking oil back of motor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 07:51:06 PM »
You mean like a mechanic in a can?  Nope.  You have to pull the intake.  No sprays, balms, lotions, potions, glues, epoxies, elixirs, or stuffin' will fix an oil leak from a failed seal.  Believe me.  I tried all of those fixes when I was young and never, ever had it make a difference.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 05:44:14 AM »
I had very slight leak on both sides in the rear.  I was able to seal them. Thus far three years later they're still sealed.
I cleaned the area up thoroughly with CRC BrakeKlean. I wiped the area and used Q-tips.  I let it dry. I used in ignition screwdriver with more Rightstuff and pressed it in the corners where it was leaking. I allowed it to dry over night. I trimmed the excess off with a razor blade.
I was stingy because I have more of the Concours look and I was trying to avoid a mess or the fact I used sealer Vs. cork. I won't make the same mistake twice.
Hopefully that helps.

Saltshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 08:35:37 AM »
my leak is in the center of the block, I could easily trim or remove the rtv in that area. If I cleaned it with brake cleaner I’m sill not sure if you can apply the right stuff over existing the right stuff and get it to seal.
Jon

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 09:05:03 AM »
Can't hurt to try! I've added RTV silicone to more than a few back China walls (and some front walls) in my time and, given immaculate cleaning with brake clean products and drying time, it did work....every time. Oil pan leaks at the back are a whole different animal however.
Bob Maag

Phil Brown

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 12:16:22 PM »
Getting the area to be patched over CLEAN and DRY is the key to it working
Give it a try, if it doesn't work you were faced with pulling the intake anyway

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 01:05:53 PM »
Your answer is "most likely no way" LOL  However, like others said, if you want to try and have access, it's not an expensive experiment
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Saltshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2021, 02:47:30 PM »
Thnx,I’m going to give it a try… can’t hurt

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 03:39:49 PM »
After cleaning the crap out of it, the last thing I did was clean it once more with 91% rubbing alcohol. That removes any last residues. Make sure you use a new clean towel.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 12:32:21 PM »
Any updates?

I will comment on my experience with this exact issue and exact sealer. Same as you, leaking at the back. I cleaned it with brake cleaner really really well and put a gob on my finger and pressed it in, smeared it all over.  It look armature hour since there was not a lot of room to maneuver, but it worked.
Is it the best and most aesthetically appealing way, no, but it can work if that is not of importance.

I will say that the RIGHT STUFF (BLACK) almost welded that intake to the rest of the engine. Honestly thought I was going to destroy the RPM intake trying to remove it after the motor spun a bearing. I personally will not use it again unless it is on something I expect to never come off. Just my .02 and your mileage may vary.

fairlaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 09:25:04 PM »
Any updates?

I will comment on my experience with this exact issue and exact sealer. Same as you, leaking at the back. I cleaned it with brake cleaner really really well and put a gob on my finger and pressed it in, smeared it all over.  It look armature hour since there was not a lot of room to maneuver, but it worked.
Is it the best and most aesthetically appealing way, no, but it can work if that is not of importance.

I will say that the RIGHT STUFF (BLACK) almost welded that intake to the rest of the engine. Honestly thought I was going to destroy the RPM intake trying to remove it after the motor spun a bearing. I personally will not use it again unless it is on something I expect to never come off. Just my .02 and your mileage may vary.

My intake is coming off again this winter to try again and fix an intake leak. I used Right Stuff back in Jun because I had it and my TA-31 was MIA. What practices did you use to get the intake off?

I hope I'm not hijacking the post, I just wanted to catch HarleyJack17 while the topic was hot.

Thanks,
Doug Bender
1966 Fairlane 427+/5 Spd TKX

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 11:33:55 PM »
I just removed the Performer RPM intake, and CJ heads from my 59s 428 last weekend. I used the Right Stuff on the end seal surfaces, and since I pulled the engine first, I just used a knife to slice thru the sealer , so the intake lifted out fine. If the engine is in the car, maybe you can sneak an Exacto knife, lino cutter blade, or a cut down hacksaw blade between the intake and firewall to cut through the sealer.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2021, 06:35:33 AM »
Let me suggest the use of Dow Corning 732.  I've used it for years.  It doesn't need to be cut to break loose and it is clear, so if you touch it with your finger, you can smooth it out and not make it look like a smear of black or gray all around the engine. 

I've actually had Right Stuff to be porous, which caused a leak on a china wall.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2021, 12:23:32 PM »
Right stuff was porus for me too .

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »

I used a method similar to Rory's but not nearly as easy as it sounds. Seems room is always an issue, and note that I used BLACK Right Stuff, there is a grey. Note 2 I also used it for all gaskets(lightly) etc. I broke several of the "snap style" razor knifes, could not make much else work. I ended up sharpening a scraper and using it with a hammer. It sounds horrible and it was but the stuff hardened like metal.  It took a lot of prying, cutting, cussing.  By prying, I mean so much so it was scary.  I really thought I was going to chip/break something, but there was no other way minus heat.  I still wonder if somehow I got a bad can of the stuff, or maybe the stars aligned not in my favor.  It was definitely one of those deals that will stick with you, let us put it that way.

Since then I have used both the TA-31 and the DOW as Brent recommends, and both are quality materials and much easier to work with.  The Right Stuff only if there is no other choice in my book.