Author Topic: Valve spring compressor for in car work.  (Read 2346 times)

motorheadted

• View Profile
Valve spring compressor for in car work.
« on: November 10, 2021, 04:55:46 PM »
I'm looking for a tool that I can use to replace valve springs and seals without removing the head on a FE 427, ebock heads.  The Lisle 36050 looks like the ticket, but I doubt it will work on our big stiff springs .  Tim Oelerich makes one, but pricy ?

Ted   

pumpbldr

• View Profile
Re: Valve spring compressor for in car work.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 08:56:19 PM »
I have the Tim Oelerich one. I use it all the time and works well. Like any tool, you get the quality you pay for. If this is a one time use then maybe the Lisle. If going to use it over and over, then buck up and save some frustration and time too.

Doug aka pumpbldr
Precision Oil Pumps

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 04:56:01 AM »
Ted I made one that uses a LSM sbc tool that bolts down to a piece of flatbar that bolts to the head .It works much better than that Lisle tool .The flat bar bolts to the rocker stand bolt holes and the LSM tool bolts to that . The dummy in me cant post pictures but what I made worked fine for my engine in a shock tower car no less .If you want give me a call and maybe I can help you .678 603 8400 Doug

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 05:43:48 AM »
The Tim one is the best I've seen.  I use it all the time with flat tappet spring changes on the dyno.  Easy to use.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2021, 07:44:24 AM »
Ted I made one that uses a LSM sbc tool that bolts down to a piece of flatbar that bolts to the head .It works much better than that Lisle tool .The flat bar bolts to the rocker stand bolt holes and the LSM tool bolts to that . The dummy in me cant post pictures but what I made worked fine for my engine in a shock tower car no less .If you want give me a call and maybe I can help you .678 603 8400 Doug
My old man made one like that way back in the 60's. I agree they work way better than the Lisle one. Still have it in the bottom of one of my tool boxes.

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2021, 08:36:24 AM »
I'm looking for a tool that I can use to replace valve springs and seals without removing the head on a FE 427, ebock heads.  The Lisle 36050 looks like the ticket, but I doubt it will work on our big stiff springs .  Tim Oelerich makes one, but pricy ?

Ted

The Lisle 36050 is the magnetic keeper remover. The Lisle 16750 is the valve spring compressor. I bought one years ago to swap valve springs on my 416. It doesn't work worth a poo if you have double or triple springs.
Kevin McCullah

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2021, 09:00:13 AM »
Yep. the Lisle one works fine for changing seal on a stock engine, but not for stiff springs. Tim's tool is the schidt

Jscanlon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 05:28:13 PM »
Would someone be kind enough to post a link where said Tim Oelerich tool could be obtained?

jmlay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 05:59:24 PM »
Try this:

Concept Design Engineer LLC
6645 Trenton Rd.
West Bend, WI 53090

(262)388-2509

Email: conceptdesigneng@aol.com
Mike

katink

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 07:12:13 PM »
The LSM is good for my stuff.  I reversed the vertical post to what is shown to reduce the horizontal cantilever of the threaded rods.  That was their suggestion.

manofmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 04:59:22 AM »
The plate I made was really simple .I drilled it to bolt down to the rocker pads then I counter sunk those holes and used flat head allen screws then I drilled and taped my plate to fit the LSM spring compressor .I might seem like a lot of work but sometimes I like a challenge and I always have a little steel lying around .I tried those different types of on car spring compressors mainly on my 460 powered drag car. After using LSMs spring compressor my life was much easier .So I just wanted something for my fe powered comet .Doug

motorheadted

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 03:49:19 PM »
Thanks for all the responces, I found one I had rigged-up 8 years ago and forgot about.  Got the job done,

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 06:06:43 AM »
Hands down the best one I've used. An absolute necessity when breaking in cams and re-installing the inner springs.

http://www.2040-parts.com/valve-spring-compressor-ford-fe-390-427-482-cobra-jet-mach-1-i511478/

MrRupp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2021, 03:19:59 PM »
We use the Concept Design Engineer valve spring compressor for FEs, and it works perfectly.

HTM101

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2021, 11:46:01 AM »
I own the Concept Design Engineer tool.  I used it for one cycle of valve springs change out.  Still in the same box he sent to me. 

Now I have T&D rockers and no longer need the CDE tool.  It's up for grabs.

SOLD
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 12:40:28 PM by HTM101 »