Author Topic: Help indentify this pan  (Read 3960 times)

57yblock

• View Profile
Help indentify this pan
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »
    Select/Unselect multi-quote
    Edit/Delete this post

Need to identify this pan

Post  57custom Today at 12:30 am
so I know the amount of oil to put in it. Do any of you guys know what this is off of? I had it in the back room of my shop and it was pretty new but can't remember where i got it. I don't have the original dipstick as you can see. I just need to know the capacity. The engine does have a windage tray. One of our better engine builders in our area told me to keep the oil slightly below the windage tray. I don't want to have to remove the pan as everything is altogether. Hope somebody can identify it as I think it is a truck pan but don't know for sure. Embarassed I thought I knew how to add a picture but it didn't work HELP

fe66comet

Re: Help indentify this pan
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:40 PM »
64 Monterrey Maybe? Mine had a pan kinda like that? ?.......Jon

57yblock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 03:55:25 PM »
Sorry about that Jon but this is a 385 series engine and I couldn't upload a picture on their website/forum. So decided to try here as there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on these forums. :)

68fecyclone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:01:20 PM »
  Looks like one from a 70's or 80's van.  Hope that is of some help. Rob

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 04:56:05 PM »
I agree with Van, don't know if they used the same on trucks or not. Here's a photo from my '90 460 van. I know it's hard to tell with the motor mounts in the way and such. I think they were pretty much the same from whenever they started 460 vans to the end. I bought one new when I swapped a 460 into my '78 Bronco, they work well for that. Many pans have a part number stamped into them, but it can be very light, a heavy coat of paint can fill it in. The 460 van is 6qts of oil including the filter.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

fe66comet

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 10:18:02 PM »
My 351 van pan is duel sump, maybe cab over Mystery Machine?....Jon

65er

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 03:32:12 AM »
I don't know about the pan, but the way the tube runs down into the pan it sure looks like you could get a really decent approximation of the oil level with a tape measure.  Especially if you have a small flexible tape you ought to be able to run it along the outside of the tube and then check the dipstick length vs the tube.  Or better yet, maybe you can pull the tube and see how far the dispstick goes beyond the end of the tube when it's all the way in.  Assuming you know about where the windage tray sits you could make a little center punch mark a bit below that.
-Wade

458" Blair Partick stroker/TKO 600 .64 OD/3.89 gears

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:24:47 AM »
I'd do the checks noted above. Then, slap 6 quarts in it with the filter and go. I've yet to see any engine (SBC, BBC, FE, W, C and more ) where filling a stock pan got the oil level, at rest, anywhere near a windage tray. And while running, almost 1/2 (maybe more) will be whipping around the heads, intake valley, etc. futher lowering the pan's level. JMO!
Bob Maag

fe66comet

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
If I am highly concerned about  oil return I polish the valley and drill the return holes larger. Just saying LOL. As far as replacing a pan once the pan is installed I fill it to known capacity, install the tube and stick then cut the tube until the stick  full hash mark lines up with the oil level. BTW if you want and have room you you can purchase a larger pan and set it to a custom capacity. Say you  would desire a 7 quart pan, you would install an eight quart then set your level at  7 quarts. The pickup would still have more oil over it than the 6 quart but would be 1 quart lower from the crank. Another way to help with oil control would be to weld in three traps like a road race pan, this allows oil to only flow one way, towards the pick up. I have three in my 445 stroker.........Jon
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 11:09:19 AM by fe66comet »