Author Topic: Torque Wrench  (Read 2211 times)

Skeeter65

• View Profile
Torque Wrench
« on: November 04, 2021, 11:42:34 AM »
So I'm in the market for a good torque wrench digital or otherwise but something that won't break the bank. I am thinking something in the $200 or less price range. 3/8 or 1/2 drive and capable of 100 = ft lbs.

Thoughts?

Gaugster

• View Profile
Re: Torque Wrench
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 11:57:54 AM »
I've had a set (3/8” & 1/2”) of Husky (Home Depot) torque wrenches for decades now. No issues. Nothing digital but suits my needs. I'd probably just borrow one if I needed torque angle.
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 12:05:59 PM »
I prefer Beam style. You can leave it on a torque setting for as long as you want. I've had mine checked and they stay accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XMSFIM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000YOX568/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2021, 03:04:14 PM »
I prefer the ratcheting click style. You can't always see the scale on the beam style, but you can always feel the click. I have snap on, Craftsman, and harbor frieght. The HF actually seems pretty decent for the money. The Snap on stuff is spendy.

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2021, 03:09:21 PM »
I prefer the ratcheting click style. You can't always see the scale on the beam style, but you can always feel the click. I have snap on, Craftsman, and harbor frieght. The HF actually seems pretty decent for the money. The Snap on stuff is spendy.
I don't understand. The style I posted clicks when it hits the torque that is dialed in. You don't have a scale to even see.
Maybe I should have said split beam.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 03:19:21 PM by rcodecj »

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 03:44:53 PM »
I like my old 1/2" drive ratcheting click style Craftsman.  Goes from 20 ft. lbs. to (I think) 150.  You have to remember to reset it back to 20 before storage.  I always have, so hopefully it's still pretty accurate.  If I need to use 3/8" sockets, I just use an adapter.

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2021, 04:18:00 PM »
Precision Torque Instruments is who builds Snap-On's torque wrenches. I think they were actually bought by Snap-On a few years ago, but you can still buy them under the PTI brand from lots of places like Amazon. Had good luck with them for new stuff, if going vintage there are other good options.

Cheap wrenches like Horror Fright and Home Despot can be ok, but I check mine a couple times a year and the PTI stuff almost never changes cal, the cheap ones I have to adjust more often but not that big of a deal.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2021, 09:51:20 PM »
It's easy enough to make a half inch square to half inch square adapter and test click-style, digital, and dial-reading wrenches against a beam-type. Unless you deform the shaft, the beam type stays accurate. Click-style is the quickest, and the most likely to have a ratchet-type head, so it's easiest to use---particularly when you're doing multiple passes. For ultimate accuracy, switch to the digital or dial for the last pass.

KS

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 05:05:58 AM »
I have 3 Snap Ons  in/lb. 3/8, 1/2 all are clickers. Bought them many yrs ago still like new and accurate. Money well spent back then.

1964Fastback

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 06:28:35 AM »
It's easy enough to make a half inch square to half inch square adapter and test click-style, digital, and dial-reading wrenches against a beam-type.

Hey, I never thought of that.  I bet I could find a 12 point socket that would fit a 1/2" square so I wouldn't have to make anything.  And I do have a beam-type wrench (somewhere).

Pat
1964 Galaxie 500 2 dr Fastback, 390, 4 speed, Indianapolis Indiana

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 09:06:21 AM »
Well Skeeter, here's my story. Years ago I worked in a group  whose lead engineer was a guy from Cadillac. He insisted that we only use a beam type torque wrench.
Later in another job, we moved up to click type torque wrench, but they had to be calibrated at 6 month intervals, until the stability of the calibration was determined, then we would send them in for calibration every year, for a 3 point check. With digital, style we were required to have them calibrated every 6 months. I worked in the metrology lab for a time doing calibration. One thing, I noticed is with the cheaper brands, there were no parts available to fix them. CDI, ( which Snap on bought ) was the preferred torque wrench, and they did make parts available. Expensive, but , it could be fixed. A beam type, with care will last forever. A click type , IMO buy a good one, if you strip a ratchet head, you want something you can get parts and fix. Most digital wrenches, ( except CDI , and a couple others) when they are broke, they're broke, no parts available to fix.

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 10:33:21 AM »
This is what I am currently using. It was one I got from my Dad after he passed. 548B63C4-1987-4032-92A2-0C099DE95CC4 by Jody Collins, on Flickr

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 11:10:38 AM »
I have a Snap on with a dialgauge my dad bought in 59, when he rebuilt his first engine.
(a 60 hp Ford Flathead) Still accurate last time i checked

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 01:14:06 PM »
I have a bunch - Craftsman and SnapOn both.  From in/lbs to a 600 ft/lb monster.  Using my C-man load center, the old black handle dial the torque Craftsman  model is the most accurate.  But all are within 5% or so.  One of the flex head SnapOn units needs to be cleaned and calibrated, that was a gimme tool so still affordable LOL.  I have one in/lb beam unit and that is only used for things like bearing preload testing on rear ends, light torque trans bolts and such.   All the rest are click and I also have a load center than be set for any value and used with a breaker bar.  That's a big beep at the torque setting.  Very nice for doing bigger stuff a little easier - like mains with a extra long breaker bar.  Easy on the old arms.

HarleyJack17

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 02:26:21 PM »
No expert here but Horrible Freight's 1/2" TQ Wrenches have been tested across time and do surprisingly well.  Not USA made, wish it was, just saying because they do get a bad wrap, often deservingly.  I have checked them against Craftsman and Husky and all are the same. Also checked 3/8" of same brands(inch lbs) against my dad's old beam type. All the same. That one surprised me, why I don't know.

To me it comes down to what you are doing, and how often you use it. If you need it for your job, or daily etc. then spend the money. If you need one every 2-5 years like me, then try to save a penny.  Only time I have "needed" them recently was building my 445, my C6, and doing a 4x4 Hub Conversion on my Super Duty to eliminate the unit bearings.

Otherwise just give it two dugga duggas on the ol' Ingersoll Rand and move on....kidding.