Author Topic: Fuel cell foam...do you need some? What are the rules?  (Read 1089 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
Fuel cell foam...do you need some? What are the rules?
« on: September 17, 2021, 11:09:47 AM »
Life brings opportunities from time to time, and sometimes they are also a bit weird.

I got my hands on a chunk of fuel cell foam designated for a helicopter, new, still in the packaging.
My original intentions were to use the foam elsewhare, but that fell through.

I am now the proud owner of a 12" x 9.5 foot x 3.5 foot, slab of fuel cell foam...without a need any longer.

I do not know the rules governing the use of said foam for a vehicle fuel cell, but this stuff could easily be cut to fit that need.

Like I said, it is made for helicopter use so it must be safe for Jet-A fuel at the very least.

If anyone knows the ins and outs of such things please let me know.
If you would like some, or all, of this foam please let me know.
If you are local (Twin Cities area of MN) and can stop by to get some, please let me know.

Prices are low....I would like to see this used well, rather than wasted.

Thanks and have a great day.

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
Re: Fuel cell foam...do you need some? What are the rules?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 01:09:03 PM »
                                                                                                                                                             interested but need to know --must handle 100/116 fuel w/o chances of damage to fuel system--anyone know --in your area  thanks--js
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 09:54:07 AM »
oldiron, as we talked about, I took a portion of the foam and submerged it in some gas.
91 octane, non-oxygenated premium, with a bit of Sta-bil added (this is my lawn mower gas)

As of this date nothing has happened to the foam, and the fuel is still clean and clear.
I cut the foam in a sharp angled triangle so there would be thin, sharp, edges as well as a bulky section.
I figured the thin, sharp edges would show damage quickly, if damage is going to happen.

Anyway, test in progress and so far so good.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 09:07:35 AM »
No trace of any degredation of the foam so far.
I shake the jar once per day and search for any sediment, or changes to the foam.
So far nothing has changed since I first immersed the foam in the fuel.

I think this foam is good to go in gasoline.