Author Topic: Tottal Control Products, impressions ?  (Read 1173 times)

Joey120373

• View Profile
Tottal Control Products, impressions ?
« on: September 15, 2021, 05:01:27 PM »
65 mustang

Anyone here using TCP front and or rear coil over conversion suspension systems ? Specifically the stuff with the spherical
Bearings in the control arms.

It looks like pretty nice stuff but I am curious about the Noise, Vibration and harshness.

Would like an updated modern-ish suspension, but what I don’t want is something that’s unpleasant to drive. Sporty and firm is great, noisy and harsh is bad.

I’ve read a lot of positive comments from guys that bought the TCP stuff, but no comments on how noisy/harsh it may or may not be.

I like the looks of their 4 like rear conversion, only downside I can see aside from the above unknown, is that it makes stalling a full length exhaust a bit tricky.

I am also looking into open tracker stuff, I’ve got a big list of parts from them I’m looking at. Near as I can tell, to do a full suspension front and rear with the Ot stuff will be less than half the cost, give or take. Guessing that will be better than stock ( roller bearing perches, relocated arms and perches, stiffer components overall ) .

But if the TCP stuff has good daily manners then I would rather “ buy once cry once” as it were.

Gaugster

• View Profile
Re: Tottal Control Products, impressions ?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:12:53 PM »
What tire and rim combo are you using or planning? That's a big factor in NVH. I suspect lower profile tires would benefit from double adjustable shocks to dial in your preferences. I am interested in this brand too but only having considered the frame connectors / X-Brace.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:14:31 PM by Gaugster »
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
I've had one experience with them and it wasn't my car. Have no idea regarding NVH. They offer high quality stuff and and the people there want you to be VERY aware of their wonderfulness.

KS

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 11:38:12 PM »
I’m running 16 inch rims for now, and I don’t plan on changing that, might consider 17 inch sometime down the road, but I will not go any bigger than that, so I will have some side wall.

@ KS

Yea, they are very proud of their stuff. Seams like they all are, and honestly it sure looks like not a lot of parts for a whole lot of money.
The more I look into the open tracker stuff the more I like it though. Have the option to do  DIY roller
Convention on everything, at a fraction of the cost. And if it’s too harsh just put rubber back in here or there…
Dunno, still waiting to hear an objective opinion on the NVH stuff..

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 08:11:29 AM »
I've been running TCP variable-rate coil springs and their lower struts on my 66 Fairlane for several years now, street driving only.  My upper arms are NOS Ford and lowers are Moog stock replacement.  The quality of the TCP stuff seems excellent but the NVH is significantly higher due to the struts having little to no "give" where they attach to the front crossmember compared to the stock struts having big rubber donuts.  It's not noticeable in most driving, but if you hit any type of washboard surface it really rattles the front end!  If I did it again I would probably go with the stock type struts and replace the rubber donuts with a harder elastomer to obtain some "give".  IIRC I'm also running a 1" sway bar from TCP with their aluminum bearing blocks.  These are also excellent quality and I definitely recommend this sway bar setup for a street-driven shock tower car. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 02:17:29 PM »
I have the upper control arms and the spring seats are roller bearing style from Open tracker. I would agree with Bruce, I would use the Moog heavy duty strut rod bushings, and forego the solid/ heim  joint style if I was going to do  a significant amount of street. Surprisingly the roller spring seat, noticably smooths the ride.

Joey120373

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 12:59:25 AM »
Bruce and Katz,

Thank you, that was the type of feedback I was looking for.

The more I look into these suspension systems, the more I see the same trends.
One thing that’s frustrating is that there seems to be a lot of “ ours is the best and everyone else’s is a cheap copy.
Well, as near as I can tell, most of them are basically the same thing. They offer stiffer parts and some form of either a solid spherical bushing or poly type. They all allow for some caster and camber adjustment. There are a few that move the spring load point closer to the tire, and to me that makes a lot of  sense. 

The OT stuff does all of that, though it uses the stock arms.though I may change my mind a few more times, right now I think I’ll spend some money at OT to get the front end freshened up with their “stage 2 “ stuff, and see how I like it. At least with their stuff I can pick and choose parts and not be out a ton of cash if I don’t like it.