Author Topic: Factory rocker arm adjusters  (Read 4682 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Factory rocker arm adjusters
« on: April 14, 2013, 11:46:33 AM »
I'm running the factory adjustable rocker arms and have a couple that can be turned by hand.  :o I used to see Crane adjusters with jam nuts that would work with the factory arms. Anybody know where I can get a replacement adjuster with a jam nut? Or an adjuster that has slightly oversized threads?
Kevin McCullah

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Factory rocker arm adjusters
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 12:10:09 PM »
IHave had that problem a couple of times
and i just replaced with a new stock adjuster
and problem solved

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 12:27:13 PM »
Thanks Heo. I bought a few replacement adjusters from Alex's parts. I was hoping to find some longer ones with jam nuts. Hopefully the thread in the rocker arm isn't my problem.
Kevin McCullah

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:38:19 PM »
In my case it was the treads on the adjuster
so lets hope your problem is the same
If i remember right the adjuster is "triangular"
just like a self treading screw
A y-block adjuster may work if you need
a jam nut some y-bloks have jam nuts
and some dont i Think its the same treads

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

afret

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 12:57:33 PM »
You can get oversize adjusters from places like DSC.  You can also just get the ones with the locknuts.  Crane has cheap ones for about $60/set.  They are expensive from places like HS or Smith Bros where they cost $8-$9 EACH.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99680-16

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
You can get oversize adjusters from places like DSC.  You can also just get the ones with the locknuts.  Crane has cheap ones for about $60/set.  They are expensive from places like HS or Smith Bros where they cost $8-$9 EACH.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn-99680-16

Thanks Earl. That's the link I was looking for. Seems like the nuts I remember (10 years ago) had a hub on them that kept the hex from hitting the radius on back of the rocker arm. Anyhow..... what a pain. I need to find a cheap roller set.
Kevin McCullah

afret

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 03:11:06 PM »
Glad to be of some help.  If it's a daily driver the non roller ones are probably a better way to go since they were meant to go for miles and miles of worry free driving.  If you have a radical cam, then it's a different story though.

chris401

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:14 AM »
I put a chisel in the vise and taped on another with the adjuster sandwiched between them. Used small chisels and went between the threads. Distorted it enough to tighten up. 20 years ago but it still works.

MT63AFX

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »
'Boogerin' the adjuster's threads with a chisel is old, old-school, BTDT over 40yrs ago, ;D. Tapped the chisel perpendicular across a few threads, Rod.