Author Topic: BBM head info  (Read 18221 times)

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: BBM head info
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2021, 10:32:33 AM »
For anyone interested I had just scaned the directions for the install of the ecu for the CNG and missed some of it.
After reading the whole thing the ECU is a port injection unit and you just imput the fireing order for the injectors.
Greg

Greg, if the programming allows it, I have a decent Excel spreadsheet to program injector firing to match cam events.  Very few programs will support it, and it really doesn't do anything for peak power, really just to tame it a bit down low.  Dig through your instructions and if able to, happy to plug your numbers in. 
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2021, 10:48:33 AM »
Thanks for the offer and I think I will need it.
The way the instructions read they use the map from the old ecm of the car to map their fuel curve.
These are programed for use on a a fuel injector car. I know I am not making much sense explaining but their program is not set up for a carb car.
I am going to make my own fuel curve and go with it.
I do have experence with this useing the Fast XFI system as I have done a few of these for friends [what a pain].
If not I have access to the tuner who tunes the 55 Chevy on the street outlaw racers. It will cost a bit but might be worth it not to have to go though a couple of months of aggrivation.
I will have to call and find out if their program will allow spread sheat input but even if they don't I can use it as a base and tune from their because I can imput manually.
Greg

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2021, 11:07:54 AM »
I’m not going to pretend I know cylinder heads like some of the guys on here but I myself have out of the box survivals, I believe they flow the same as an out of the box BBM. I’m under the impression that the TFS heads come CNCd out of the box. I believe the CNCd Survivals flow 360 cfm is there a reason why they don’t get bunched in in this conversation. Now when I got my Survivals there was no BBMs or TFS so at the time I had thought they were way ahead of what was out there.

I think it's two-fold.  One, the BBMs already cost $600 more than TFS so the assumption is the CNC'd BBM is in another price class.  Two, the BBM is already larger than the TFS, so the CNC BBM is in another class size wise.  Normally it wouldn't seem "fair" to compare CNC'd heads to as cast, but when they're cheaper and roughly the same size, it's a more natural comparison.  This came up back in the day with the TFS R heads when the AFR 205 first came out. 

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »
Hmm, did dig up an A-B comparison of TFS vs BBM CNC on the same bench.  As the title states, results are surprising.  The numbers don't seem to jive with other published numbers, but heads done on same bench are definitely the best comparison. 

https://www.fordfe.com/bbm-cnc-vs-trick-flow-out-of-the-box-surprising-t162336.html

Also, I hear "flow isn't everything" parroted quite a bit.  I agree.  But if both are similarly prepped with proper valve and throat size, and valve job, and both are modern chambers with good quench....is the smaller cross section with better average flow not the preferred head for a majority of builds (not talking about an 8000rpm 510ci all out drag build)? 

With those elements all known, are they talking about airspeed being too high in the small head where it's going to be turbulent on an actual running engine?  Could it be a low floor/short turn showing good flow but causing fuel shear or turbulence on a running engine?   

Tommy-T

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2021, 01:21:59 PM »
I’m not going to pretend I know cylinder heads like some of the guys on here but I myself have out of the box survivals, I believe they flow the same as an out of the box BBM. I’m under the impression that the TFS heads come CNCd out of the box. I believe the CNCd Survivals flow 360 cfm is there a reason why they don’t get bunched in in this conversation. Now when I got my Survivals there was no BBMs or TFS so at the time I had thought they were way ahead of what was out there.

The Survival is another cast by Edelbrock.
That makes the Survival head, Blair's Pro Ports, TFS, and, of course, the Edelbrock offerings, all legacies of Vic. Many thanks to them. And thanks to those who commissioned Edelbrock to cast their heads.

I had the Bill Ballinger BBM heads finished by Scott Foxwell. SI valves generously provided by Lykins Motorsports. With just a valve job and throat work they flow 302@.600
You can see the work done to these particular BBM heads on the Foxwell Facebook page.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2021, 06:35:57 PM »
Hmm, did dig up an A-B comparison of TFS vs BBM CNC on the same bench.  As the title states, results are surprising.  The numbers don't seem to jive with other published numbers, but heads done on same bench are definitely the best comparison. 

https://www.fordfe.com/bbm-cnc-vs-trick-flow-out-of-the-box-surprising-t162336.html

Also, I hear "flow isn't everything" parroted quite a bit.  I agree.  But if both are similarly prepped with proper valve and throat size, and valve job, and both are modern chambers with good quench....is the smaller cross section with better average flow not the preferred head for a majority of builds (not talking about an 8000rpm 510ci all out drag build)? 

With those elements all known, are they talking about airspeed being too high in the small head where it's going to be turbulent on an actual running engine?  Could it be a low floor/short turn showing good flow but causing fuel shear or turbulence on a running engine?

I had found that thread (again) & it's one reason I asked. In that thread the BBM intake seems more like a CNC number, but the exhaust looks too low to be CNC. The TFS exhaust looks higher than Brent's "no pipe" flow but is close to the TFS website's "with pipe" flow.

It now seem like their websites arent that far out of line, and if you compare BBM_CNC with NO pipe to TFS_CNC with NO pipe (subtract about 25 from their website numbers) they're pretty close. They are pretty close in burn efficiency too from the dyno data I've seen, BBM may even have a slight edge but too close to call. So it's down to price reliability, and availability.

As far as reliability, well of course header bolts aren't main caps, but that is part of the problem- they see a similar environment. They've got heavy headers with a long swing-arm hanging off them, with a cam shaking them every rev for 50,000 miles and 100,000 traffic lights. (We add as many traffic lights as we can here in CA for Safety, and sometimes just to Hate on Cars in general). With that kind of vibration environment I'd prefer inserts in aluminum- but not if THEY are going to strip out. I'm just over-cautious with aluminum - I know people use those carb plates to pull an engine/trans from an aluminum intake, which I would never do, but it seems to work.

On price I fully agree, if BBM is that far out on price - you do have to allow some bucks to get TFS stands cut, and I shudder to think what that would cost out here in CA, we have so many people to feed, so likely best to buy stands milled to order, but seems the BBM are still higher. Maybe TFS will update theirs to 2% inflation when they come back out & they'll be $2800/pair.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 12:13:53 AM by WerbyFord »

1968galaxie

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2021, 07:25:14 PM »
One just needs to get just a few of the 1 Trillion dollars that the fed is printing every day.
I wish I could just create money out of thin air.

Cheers!!

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2021, 10:27:49 PM »
Kaase says flow isn’t everything often , he says you can port his P51’s out to his new B9 specs but they’ll be 75 horse down on the dyno

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2021, 11:50:24 PM »

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 08:41:07 AM by CaptCobrajet »
Blair Patrick

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2021, 12:44:49 AM »
Thank you, Blair, That should be a awesome, informative test. an you give us any basic cam info for it?

BTW, I always look forward to hearing your thoughts on FE's.

Frank

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2021, 07:01:36 AM »
Nice work Blair. Thank you.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2021, 07:38:58 AM »
Thank you for the info, Blair, and for going into some specifics on the TFS. 

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2021, 08:25:31 AM »
I’ll add my thanks Blair. I really enjoy reading the what you have to say.
Understand about the time it takes to do that and why can be a pain.
Just know that it’s appreciated by us mere mortals here when you or ANY of the builders give us information.
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2021, 10:12:32 AM »
Blair - I too appreciate all of the hard work.  Thanks for taking the time out to push the FE forward.  You are really appreciated around here!
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2021, 11:02:33 AM »
Well after reading these posts I guess I will wait for the new head designs to come out [as if I have a choice]. I hope the come out before I kick off.
I am interested in Blairs post on the noisy flow in the heads at lift.
I am not a head man and really don't understand what it means, I assume it means that the flow is interupted and bouncing back and slowing the flow?
Cost is a factor in what I buy.
I am 100% disabled and on a fixed income so I have to get the most from my dollars.
The car I am building is not a all out race engine but just something to have some fun in so I don't have to have the latest and most HP in my engine. I am shooting for an honest 425 HP.
Greg