Author Topic: Fe running CNG questions  (Read 1640 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Fe running CNG questions
« on: July 17, 2021, 01:35:19 PM »
I have a 2013 F-250 running CNG and I really like it.
It cost $80.00 to fill the tank with regular gas and $32.00 to fill up with CNG. I also get 16.7 MPG on CNG and 12.7 with gas.
I am thinking that with the higher octan level of the CNG [130] that I could run it in my 63 with 428 engine.
With race gas at $365 for 55 gallons ir wouldn't take long for the 6 to 8 thousand dollar cost of the CNG system to pay for itself.
I would still have to have race gas in the tank if I ran out of the CNG.
Has anyone done this conversion on a preformance build and have you had any problems running the CNG?
Thanks for any info.
Greg

69 crewcab

• View Profile
Re: Fe running CNG questions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2021, 05:12:38 PM »
Greg
I don't have any info on how well it works unfortunately . But I recently bought a 1969 F100 Ranger truck which had either CNG or Propane set up on it. The system was installed in the late 70s or early 80s.  The truck was a barn find it was parked in 1989 and rescued in late 2020 . The engine in the truck is a 1966 427 side-oiler with period correct performance parts.  I have removed the CNG stuff from the truck fixed the small problems from sitting for so long and am currently driving it. I can send you pictures of the parts if you are interested.

David

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
Hi David
I would be interested in some pictures.
Lpg is common around here and people have been running it since the 60's that I know of.
Good thing about running either one is your engine should be really clean inside.
Greg

69 crewcab

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2021, 05:49:38 PM »
Greg
Pm me a cell phone # and I will text you some pictures tomorrow . I am not very good at posting pictures. I will not be using the system so if you want to use a period correct system I would be willing to sell or trade for FE goodies

David

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2021, 06:34:31 PM »
Roush can help you out his daughter  has run her race car on it for years in nmra i thlnk he sells kits

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 06:51:44 PM »
Thank you  Wayne.
I buy quite a few parts from Roush and didn't know he sold CNG kits.
Greg

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2021, 09:40:02 AM »
I run LPG on my turbo 390. Best part? It will sit for months at a time, hop in hit the key and it runs just like you drove it that morning.

If you are going to run a dual fuel setup gasoline/cng you will best be benefited using an ignition that can easily be switched between timing tables for max performance with both fuels. Easily accomplished today.

I had the opportunity to speak with the lead mechanic on the propane powered Roush car probably 7 yrs ago or so. His name escapes me, he wasn't to talkative at first until I asked some specific questions only someone familiar with the fuel would know. Ended up having a great conversion and he showed me some of the stuff on the car most don't get to see. If I'm not mistaken the car was/is very competitive. 

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2021, 11:45:33 AM »
I was doing some research this weekend and found a company in Calif. [CNG United] that makes a kit with a stand alone ecm that lets you run a carb and has the injectors for the CNG.
I sent them a e mail for some more info as to cost for the kit.
It is suppose to have everything to set up a duel fuel system.
They also sell a verity of tanks for the conversion.
I found a 20 gallon tank on their site for $2900.00 to fit in the trunk of a Crown Vic so it seems to be the most expensive part of the conversion.
I asked for the outside dimension to see if it would fit in the Trunk of the 63.
I have Jays adaptor and the TFS 351C single plane intake with the injector bungs.
Might be able to find a used tank to save some money.
Greg

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 01:57:13 PM »
For a tank could  you use one out of a old motorhome my class c has a 20 gal .Old motorhomes are always in scrap yards class a has bigger tanks,

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 06:03:37 PM »
That is a good suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.
I guess if the tanks would hold 3600 pound's of pressure they would work.
Greg

BigBlueIron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 10:28:41 AM »
CNG tanks are quite different than an LPG tank and are not compatible with each other. I'm sure you know this but thought it should be mentioned.

Also CNG tanks have a limited lifetime, say 10 or 15yrs.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2021, 12:20:06 PM »
what is cng ?

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2021, 12:50:28 PM »
I didn't know that LPG and CNG tanks wouldn't interchange so that leaves that option out.
CNG is compressed natural gas.
Greg

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2021, 02:07:15 PM »
thanks