Author Topic: Opentracker products for Fairlane?  (Read 5372 times)

1966lanetp

• View Profile
Opentracker products for Fairlane?
« on: July 14, 2021, 01:15:27 PM »
Hi. I’d love to get some advice from y’all about front suspension parts For a ‘66 Fairlane I’m doing some modifications to, I guess I ought to list some of them a  sad it might make a difference on part selection.
465 SO Tunnelport ( at Lykins Motorsport waiting on pistons)
toploader
9” etc
I have new Caltracs, bars, mono and rear shocks just mounted.
I will drive the car occasionally on the street, I’m mainly interested in high speed stability, safety and weight transfer.
Opentracker products recommended to me are…
Roller spring perch’s, upper and lower control arms, steering kit with roller idle arm, double adjustable shocks and 6 cly. springs. I think that’s all on the list. I’m sure some of you have or are using their parts, how do you like it and would you do anything different?
Thanks in advance for any information!
Randy

mike7570

Re: Opentracker products for Fairlane?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 01:35:01 PM »
Add new strut rods with heim joints.

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 03:14:26 PM »
don't have it installed yet on the '64 Fairlane, but I bought this kit

https://www.freakride.com/product/all-front-coil-over-conversion-systems/
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
Wow! I’ve not seen this freakride stuff before.  I’m assuming you’ve unboxed it?  I was getting ready to order everything from open tracker, but this might be a better alternative. Thanks for the link!  1966lanetp, I’m currently fixing a 1967 Fairlane 511 f.e. top loader 9”.  Sounds like we have similar goals. 
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 06:07:11 PM »
Hi. I’d love to get some advice from y’all about front suspension parts For a ‘66 Fairlane I’m doing some modifications to, I guess I ought to list some of them a  sad it might make a difference on part selection.
toploader
9” etc
I will drive the car occasionally on the street, I’m mainly interested in high speed stability, safety and weight transfer.
Roller spring perch’s, upper and lower control arms, steering kit with roller idle arm, double adjustable shocks and 6 cly. springs. I think that’s all on the list. I’m sure some of you have or are using their parts, how do you like it and would you do anything different?
Randy

I have Opentracker's roller spring perches (great parts!) and some other outfit's (forget who) roller idle arm.

I do think though the bolt-on kits (new arms, spindle, etc.) are neat but overkill and quite expensive. I'd also question the all-metal strut rod ends: clanking and the potential to break. If you live in an area with lots of rough roads and potholes, the OEM rubber bushings or even graphite impregnated, no squeak poly bushings might be a better idea.

Bob Maag

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2021, 06:17:09 PM »
Wow! I’ve not seen this freakride stuff before.  I’m assuming you’ve unboxed it?  I was getting ready to order everything from open tracker, but this might be a better alternative. Thanks for the link!  1966lanetp, I’m currently fixing a 1967 Fairlane 511 f.e. top loader 9”.  Sounds like we have similar goals.
Cool, maybe we can bounce ideas around.

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 06:24:27 PM »
toploader
9” etc
Randy

I have Opentracker's roller spring perches (great parts!) and some other outfit's (forget who) roller idle arm.

I do think though the bolt-on kits (new arms, spindle, etc.) are neat but overkill and quite expensive. I'd also question the all-metal strut rod ends: clanking and the potential to break. If you live in an area with lots of rough roads and potholes, the OEM rubber bushings or even graphite impregnated, no squeak poly bushings might be a better idea.

I think he recommended the strut rods with delrin bushings, I’ll have to look back on the quote. Thanks

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 10:45:59 PM »
I have some homemade flat upper shock plates, Opentracker bearing kit for the stock upper arms, Opentracker roller perches, Opentracker roller idler arm, Opentracker camber lock out kit, Global West tubular lower control arms, Global West tubular tie rod adjusting sleeves, homemade adjustable strut rods with heim joints, Shelby drop, and Calvert 90/10s.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 11:41:26 PM »
Jared that sounds like a great setup, I was tempted to do an IFS, I really want to make this car work without cutting it up any more.  It seems the stock Eliminator guys go straight, and I know none of Dick Brannan’s cars got Morrison front clips. I like the idea of the factory rollerized components. I like the simplicity of the freakride parts, because you’re just done with it.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 07:27:52 AM »
I have some homemade flat upper shock plates, Opentracker bearing kit for the stock upper arms, Opentracker roller perches, Opentracker roller idler arm, Opentracker camber lock out kit, Global West tubular lower control arms, Global West tubular tie rod adjusting sleeves, homemade adjustable strut rods with heim joints, Shelby drop, and Calvert 90/10s.
Does your setup work good? Is it more for cornering or weight transfer? My plan is to build a retro type car, something that might have been built back in my day. But with better parts.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 08:07:51 AM »
Then you should get a copy of the "Boss 302 Chassis Manual"as written back then by Ford's engineers.

http://www.mustangtek.com/Library2/BOSS302ChassisMod.html

The front suspension parts used, long before rollerized parts were available (and maybe not legal back then) document how Ford race teams almost won the '69 Trans-Am championship but did win it all in '70. I used it as a guide for my '70 Mach 1 (and I did forget to mention my Dr. Gas camber lockout parts, PST graphite bushings everywhere and Heim joint end for the tie rod ends). The book (more like a pamphlet btw) also has great chassis weld-in mods for the shock towers, easy to do and well worthwhile and even roll cage dimensions if you like. Worth a look,

Oh, and last but not least, yes virtually all these parts do fit on a Fairlane since they share near mirror-image front suspensions.   
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 08:13:33 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 08:49:09 AM »
I installed new strut assys. from Chris Alston's Chassisworks (Total Control Products) in my '66.  They've been on the car for several years now.  I'd say they have helped control fore and aft movement a lot better than the original design but my dash rattles badly when going over certain bumps!  For the rest of the parts I used Moog replacement lower arms, NOS Ford upper arms, Moog lower spring perches and a 1" sway bar.  The sway bar made a night and day difference in cornering compared to the original which was about 5/8" as I recall. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 09:09:16 AM »

Have been bracket racing the Falcon (and her Mustang before we sold it) for around 18 years - have broken two strut rods with poly bushings during that time.  One on the track at the 60' cone - fortunately - and one - also  fortunately - in the pits.  SO update the rods if possible and put up with any noise. Yes, I'm still running on strut rods but will be looking to update with a coil over kit when all this other $$$$ crap we have to dump money on washes away. 

My larger issue is that I really need a full front kit - front steer rack, etc and not just coil overs.  So I hesitate to dump $2000+ on just a coil over when I should put $4000+ in the car.

For any track work especially drag racing you'd want adjustable shocks on both ends, especially the front. So that $1999 kit has some really good parts, apparently.

All that said - my drag setup is 90/10 CEs in front, Moroso Trick springs, 1" upper arm drop, stock re-inforced upper control arm, stock lower arm with poly, poly spring perch bushing conversion, Cal Tracks and adjustable Ranchos in the back - front spring eye bushings are aluminum parts, rear poly shackle bushings.  Never saw the need for the roller items.

PS FWIW - as a tech guy, I find fault with Vi-King for having a web page built in 2015 that still has "under construction" and their online catalog relies on Flash, which has been long retired due to security issues.  A shabby online presence doesn't reflect well on the business.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 09:17:50 AM by Falcon67 »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 09:13:30 AM »
For a street/ drag car OpenTrackers roller perch, roller lower control arm and strut rod bearing or ball conversion at the least will give the best bang for the buck as far as feel and performance.

The spring perch frees up the spring and shock , you will feel the difference.
The roller lower control arm bushing and strut rod work together . They free up the bind from the lower bushing and allow more caster to be dialed into the suspension .

Add the 1” upper control arm drop , good (not KYB) shocks, they are too harsh in compression and light in rebound, Bilstein Sport in front,streets in the back (for a driver)  and a 1” front sway bar and you will have a great driver set up.
If you want to lean more to drag racing use a stock (small lol) sway bar and an adjustable shock.

When you have it aligned tell them (demand) 0 Camber (+0/ -1/2) both sides the same! Caster ,manual steering +3 1/2 Power steering + 4 ( up to 5 1/2 if tire does not eat the front of the fender) again both sides the same. Toe easy, 1/8” in.
Lance H

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2021, 09:20:13 AM »
Agree on the caster settings, I shoot for at least 2 1/2 degrees on the drag cars.  However, I have not been able to dial that in with stock bushings.  Always have to switch to the poly units to get more adjustment travel.