Author Topic: Raising Floor Braces  (Read 786 times)

drdano

• View Profile
Raising Floor Braces
« on: July 13, 2021, 06:38:36 PM »
Is there a better/cleaner option for raising the floor braces when you need more driveshaft clearance?  The floor braces themselves are really just ~20g hat channel that is bent into a U shape to clear the driveshaft/transmission.  I thought there would be some universal options out there, but apparently not?  I've used 1/4" round pipe in the past for this, but it looks hideous (yes, its under the car and nobody knows it's there, but I know its there!  :-[).  Any better suggestions?

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Raising Floor Braces
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
I would just cut the brace on each end and weld a short piece of Ix3 [square] or whatever size fits to the pan and the brace to the top of the tubing.
If you need 2 inch lift then just use a 2x3 or whatever.
If you want it to look good then you could weld shaped covers to the repair or use fiberglass to hide it.
Greg

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:19:13 PM »
I just missed out when foing my 62 Ranchero but a guy was chucking out the rusty floorpan from a Mustang. The tunnel was good and i could have cut that out and welded it into my floorpan to make a taller tunnel. Instead i had to make it the hard way and my "hat brace" looks kind of like what you have pictured and sits almost inline with the shifter opening on Falcons with a T5 so it can't be original width.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
I'd go race car! Join the two floor pans with your hoop-like steel. The, add a sheet metal aluminum tunnel ala' a Pro or Comp car, including Dzus fasteners. Easy enough and one can glue on some black mat to the topside or leave it race-carish!
Bob Maag