Author Topic: Efi and fuel cell questions  (Read 968 times)

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
Efi and fuel cell questions
« on: June 22, 2021, 06:52:04 PM »
So I have a chance to get a 10 gallon cell which is split into two 5 gallon chambers. I am doing a efi, nitrous project, and the pair of 5 gallons cells is appealing race gas in one and street fuel in the other. I cannot for the life of me find a good way to switch between the two if I choose this route. Each has a pickup and return etc.  I understand if I just use a diverter... if I could find one that would work some mixing of fuel would occur. Any ideas or suggestions? I am running a aeromotive a1000 and they recommend a -10 feed into the pump that's part of this as well.

cammerfe

• View Profile
Re: Efi and fuel cell questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 09:17:27 PM »
I have always run two completely separate fuel systems. One for the efi and one for the 'spray'. That way, there's no possibility of starving half the system---or causing a degree of lean-out with it's resulting carnage.

I suppose, if the existing pump is divorced from the fuel cell, it would be possible to simply use a 'Y' and install quarter-turn valves upstream of the pump. Manually change over when you are going to spray it.

KS

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:41:56 AM »
So I have a chance to get a 10 gallon cell which is split into two 5 gallon chambers. I am doing a efi, nitrous project, and the pair of 5 gallons cells is appealing race gas in one and street fuel in the other. I cannot for the life of me find a good way to switch between the two if I choose this route. Each has a pickup and return etc.  I understand if I just use a diverter... if I could find one that would work some mixing of fuel would occur. Any ideas or suggestions? I am running a aeromotive a1000 and they recommend a -10 feed into the pump that's part of this as well.

Modern trucks have dual fuel tanks and returns, but I am not sure you'd see the volume you desire.

I think I may consider two in-tank pumps with a switching valve on the return side

The in tank pumps could run harder and last longer and then you choose a switch position based on fuel, your valve could then go on the return, and not impede flow.  Of course it is up to you to remember to switch the return valve when you activate either pump :)
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 11:18:16 AM »
Thanks for the input. I am going to have to mull this over. I did look at some of the truck switching valves but I was very concerned about the flow capability. I may have to just do a pair of pumps a borderline fuel system is not where I want to be while spraying.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 12:03:55 PM »
If you are not using methanol in one tank, I don't see a problem with using some switched tank feed, should you be able to find one that could handle AN -10.  You're going to have to run whatever through the lines for a bit when switching anyway.  Race gas to pump isn't an issue IMHO like going from alcohol to gas.  You just have to lose a few partial $ worth of high buck fuel in the -10 lines. 

If it was me, I'd use come out of the tanks through a -10 AN Russell shutoff valve on each feed into a Earls -10 o-ring Y fitting, then run out to the filter and A1000 pump.  With the right fittings, the filter, Y and shutoffs could be plumbed together as a unit.  -10 female to straight thread o-ring adapters required.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 01:12:46 PM »
Jaguar XJs had dual tanks that required you to manually switch between; scour a junkyard for the system?

Fast forward to around 7:30....for dual pumps
Fast forward to around 10:00..for single pump

https://youtu.be/laoSfVJfTvI
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:32:44 PM by Dumpling »

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 01:22:59 PM »
There are actually quite a few people doing what you’re asking about on the various Drag & Drive events, like Hot Rod Drag Week, Rocky Mountain Race Week, etc. I’m guessing there are multiple ways people have set up their systems. If you do Facebook at all you could try joining one of the pages for the participants of those events and ask too, I’m sure you could get some answers. Likewise if any of the events are running in your area it would be a good excuse to come out and talk to some of the participants and look at their fuel system. I know our member here Hemi Joel has a divided fuel tank dual fuel system on his Drag Week Coupe, but I don’t think he follows the forum here all that close, so he might miss this question.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Greaterthenjake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 01:39:31 PM »
No methanol here so that's not a concern. I had been searching for a switched y kind of deal. Plan was for a drag and drive kind of thing by next summer. I think overall the cell may be a little small either way 5 gallons of pump even at 13ish mpg is 65 miles and alot of stops. The Russell shutoff valves may be a viable option if I stick with this route.