Author Topic: Canceling Edelbrock RPM Order Intake Suggestions  (Read 4600 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Canceling Edelbrock RPM Order Intake Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2021, 09:39:42 AM »
There are no parts anywhere for a lot of things.
The Covid deal crushed manufacturing during the fall, winter and spring.
The demand for parts has been pretty high because everybody had money and they were often stuck at home.
The inventory throughout the supply chain got consumed early on and manufacturing never had the chance to refill the shelves.
Not just finished goods inventory, but component and raw material inventory is depleted and cannot be replenished quickly enough to catch up with the pent up demand.

Some of the problems seem stupid from the outside, but still kill availability.

You might be able to cast a material. 
You might be able to mill and machine it.
You might be able to do everything except install a single required small part for which none are available anywhere.
And you have something that you cannot sell yet waiting on an outside supplier.

We recently ran into a similar situation where we actually had to make valve spring locators on the lathe because they were only sold by one source who had been out of stock for literally months.  So you source material, define some specs, and dedicate many hours on a lathe making parts that should cost $40 for the set.

turbohunter

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2021, 10:03:07 AM »
^ Think I’ll use this time to fold up shop and move. ^
Marc
'61 F100 292Y
'66 Mustang Injected 428
'66 Q code Country Squire wagon

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2021, 10:21:08 AM »
I had some parts from john deere that took a long time they said no truck drivers only half as many as they used to have at the wherehouse everyday

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2021, 10:47:30 AM »
390rpm, I sent you a PM.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2021, 10:57:35 AM »
I think the comeback of manufacturing after the pandemic is hitting everybody really hard.  For my business, I've had orders with my aluminum foundry since early March for my standard intake adapters, my high riser intake adapters, my cylinder heads, and my valve covers.  Usually I can count on a 3-4 week delivery from this foundry, but the first estimated ship date I got was late May, then it went to June 15, and just this week it shifted out to July 23.  Meanwhile, I'm out of intake adapters, and can't get the cylinder heads and valve covers. When I go to the foundry and look around I have never, in 8 years of doing business with them, seen them so busy.

It's not just automotive either.  I ordered more books from the printing company in February, but ran out in April, and they still have not delivered the order.  When I talk to them they say that during the pandemic, many of the smaller printing shops ran out of money and had to close up.  So, now that everybody wants their stuff printed again, the companies that are left are buried in orders.  Small customers, like me, have to wait.

Everyone has heard about the shortage of semiconductors and how it has stopped automobile production at the major manufacturers, but this problem is everywhere, and yes, the pandemic is largely to blame...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

390rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 11:55:35 AM »
Thanks for the messages and info guys. I think you guys are right about the manufacturing shortages. The issue is pretty much as Barry stated. It's kind of the perfect storm for the issues we've been experiencing. The longest period of free time for many people, money in their accounts, and the internet in their pockets-- coupled with half capacity manufacturing and the same issue worldwide, I'm not sure if it could have turned out any better. I'm sure everything will get ironed out.

I'll shoot you a message WerbyFord. I offered the guy on the Facebook link $200 (I would have gone 250ish) for the Street Dominator-- He wanted $500 and felt slighted. He told me, "good luck finding og intakes for 200". He didn't even counter. He told me he had $400 offers. I just know I've seen them go for around $250. Maybe I'm wrong?

chilly460

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »
I have purchased them for $150 and 250 in the recent past which were admittedly pretty good deals, I just saw a bunch at Ford’s of Carlisle for around 350 seems to be market

390rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2021, 04:26:48 PM »
I wouldn't argue with that price. I'd just have to consider shipping.

390rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
I ordered an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and carb package 61 days ago today. This afternoon I finally received a reason for the delay. I was told, "..due to an intake machine malfunction we have no eta on your parts... we guess they'll be there in another six to eight weeks". I suppose stuff happens, so I guess I'll cancel the order and go with a Blue Thunder or a Streetmaster. Unless if I find someone who has a RPM intake stocked.

-- I think I'm leaning toward the Blue Thunder 427 MR intake. I found a 428 CJ HR listed, but I assume there would be a port mismatch with the 6090-N heads. I'm still new to the FE. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

401 cubic inches, 10.07:1, CJ heads (SS valves-3 angle valve job- light porting with bowl blend), Comp Cams springs, RPM cam and chain, Harland Sharp Roller rockers, Precision Oil Pumps end stands

What car / trans / converter / rear is it going in?

Still interested in an Ed RPM intake?

Still debating the vehicle. Possibly a 1969 F100. We have a 66 Fairlane, 64 Galaxie and 61 Starliner as well. One of those four will get it. The trans will be a T-5 and gears will likely be 4.10.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2021, 05:14:29 PM »
I ordered an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and carb package 61 days ago today. This afternoon I finally received a reason for the delay. I was told, "..due to an intake machine malfunction we have no eta on your parts... we guess they'll be there in another six to eight weeks". I suppose stuff happens, so I guess I'll cancel the order and go with a Blue Thunder or a Streetmaster. Unless if I find someone who has a RPM intake stocked.

-- I think I'm leaning toward the Blue Thunder 427 MR intake. I found a 428 CJ HR listed, but I assume there would be a port mismatch with the 6090-N heads. I'm still new to the FE. I'll appreciate any suggestions.

401 cubic inches, 10.07:1, CJ heads (SS valves-3 angle valve job- light porting with bowl blend), Comp Cams springs, RPM cam and chain, Harland Sharp Roller rockers, Precision Oil Pumps end stands

What car / trans / converter / rear is it going in?

Still interested in an Ed RPM intake?

Still debating the vehicle. Possibly a 1969 F100. We have a 66 Fairlane, 64 Galaxie and 61 Starliner as well. One of those four will get it. The trans will be a T-5 and gears will likely be 4.10.

You may want to reconsider the T5.  They do well to last behind a 225hp/315tq Mustang, much less something with some ooompphh.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Gaugster

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »
Just be patient and flexible I guess. I ordered my shifter for the 6R80 conversion before Christmas. It is supposed to ship tomorrow...... :o
John - '68 Cougar XR7 390 FE (X-Code) 6R80 AUTO

390rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »
You're probably right, but there are a few tricks to beef them up. I've seen stock 5.0's break them, but I've also seen boosted 5.0's beat on them (occasionally) without issue. I think its longevity depends on how much you beat on it. I have a T-56 and a Muncie or two, but I'm saving them for our GM stuff.

390rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2021, 06:02:37 PM »
Just be patient and flexible I guess. I ordered my shifter for the 6R80 conversion before Christmas. It is supposed to ship tomorrow...... :o

I hope you get it. I try to be patient, but I'm finishing a degree before medical school, so I only get short periods of time between semesters to get anything done... or to even think about anything other than school for that matter. Haha, life is hard, but I enjoy messing with these old Fords and GM engines when I can.

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2021, 07:01:41 PM »
Paying attention in school is a capital investment.

Skeeter65

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »
I agree with Brent on the T5. I broke a couple of them behind my 285 HP 5.0 litre with a B cam and GT40P heads. After the last one broke, I ponied up (no pun intended) and bought a Tremec 3550. Never had another failure after that. I even swapped it into a 98 GT with the stock 4.6 and still no issues. I wish I kept it when I sold the car, but such is life.