Author Topic: dent in oil pan  (Read 1653 times)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
dent in oil pan
« on: May 29, 2021, 10:39:21 AM »
like the big dummy i am,when i was lowering my floor jack a block of wood popped out and i somehow dented the front bottom of my oil pan.no pics but it dont leak and it looks like someone punched a dent in it,not too bad but still a bunch of b.s. that it happened.just put the engine and trans in,and started for the first time in 6 months.      comments?. how far is the pickup screen from the front bottom of the oil pan-66 comet
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

fryedaddy

• View Profile
Re: dent in oil pan
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2021, 11:21:24 AM »
NO OIL PRESSURE. sometimes i wonder why i even bother with this stuff.i have went to the garage dozens of times in the last 6 months,doing what i can a little bit at a time.then when i finally get finished something like this happens.i fired it up and let it idle for about 7-10 seconds and no oil pressure.i tried priming it with the starter first. my heart is in the bottom of my stomach right now.i know it could be worse like a blown engine,etc.i remember 6 years ago when i put my 428 in.i got all finished and then my starter gave out and a told my son.im going to let it sit,tired of it.he felt sorry for me a put the starter on himself.i know you guys have put a starter on a fairlane-comet-mustang with headers.it can be a challenge..what do i do now ,  broken hearted.  p.s. i was ready to use 3 pedals in my comet for the first time in 37 years.i changed it from 4 speed to auto  back then.  reminds me of a old hee-haw song,if it weren't for bad luck i d have no luck at all
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 12:16:18 PM by fryedaddy »
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 12:32:41 PM »
im going blind,i told my wife my eyes were going bad. i was looking at the wrong guage.this morning when i cranked it it was still foggy and i had the lights off in the garage after looking at the right guage this time,oil pressure went straight to 80.i will keep a eye on it anyway. WOW WHAT A SCARE.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 12:44:28 PM »
i will just run it for now and keep an eye on it till i can get me a new aftermarket pan later.

gdaddy01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 01:52:23 PM »
may be the easiest repair of all time .  life can be a challenge . press on .   

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2021, 02:44:43 PM »
i feel like an idiot.i take my time and try to do things right but ever now and then i pull a stunt like this.i used to joke about stuff when it happened to me,i would say[for my next act im going to...]

Diogenes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 05:01:28 PM »
Hey, at least the story has a happy-ish ending. The dent in the pan is a bummer, but at least your oil pressure issue was just a mistaken look at the gauge. Sometimes, its best to just step away from the project and take a breather. Maybe it's time for a nice cruise....
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

Thumperbird

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2021, 05:39:58 PM »
Warning, thread high jack warning, speaking of Homer Simpson moves, no disrespect here Fryedaddy but good stuff for Memorial weekend!
Been meaning to confess this one for some time now, turned on my sprinkler system last spring and was walking around the yard manually turning on zones with a remote to make sure all heads were working correctly when I came to zone 6, it would not turn on.  Checked the wiring to the valve, cleaned the valve, replaced the valve, dealt with water in the valve hole, you name it no go.  Oh wait, I was at zone 7, zone 6 was on the other side of the house and working just fine.  D"oh!     

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »
These are realignment checks.
If we were as good as we think we are...all the time....How would we EVER know when we are wrong without the occasional realignment check?

Your sprinkler story is very good to hear, and as normal as the day is long...We all have some version of the sprinkler story.

C6AE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2021, 01:43:53 PM »
At least you didn't pull the engine and tear it down looking for the problem!
If you fool with cars/engines long enough you will do something foolish...
This might be a good place to admit that I have in fact pulled an engine and torn it down for an oil pressure problem that did not exist.
Well, it did and it didn't, but I learned that priming an oil pump is a must-do! (Which, if you are cocky (stupid) enough to think it will prime itself you can back-fill the pump after the fact from the oil filter pressure port while using a drill to turn it)

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2021, 10:31:27 PM »
Since we're telling stories on ourselves, there was a time when I was doing a tune-up on an early '60s Chrysler. Got everything back together and the engine wouldn't start. I must have pulled the cap back off and looked at one-thing-or-another for almost an hour before I noticed that I'd never put the new rotor in the diz. It ran just fine after I put it in.

Nobody in the whole world knew about until just now. But it was over sixty years ago so I suppose it's safe. Please don't tell anybody else. ;D

KS