Author Topic: My 1966 F100 Short Bed Re-Power 2020 Raptor Crate Engine with 10spd Auto  (Read 7106 times)

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Same truck as with the 482 FE but now with Raptor 450/510 Crate engine and 10R80 Auto.

I thought a few might want to see the conversion.

I already have 2 FE powered '66 Trucks plus a fresh 393 FE for another '66 on engine stand plus 2 391 FT powered big trucks. Too boring to have them all same engine family.

Quickie vid of first test drive just around the yard prior to installing front clip.

Front clip on now.

With TUNE ONLY on E50 I am shooting for 600/600 at tire. (Using 7th gear which is 1 to 1)  Lofty goal yes but I think I can hit that number and still get 25 mpg @ 60-65 MPH.

Building this as a long distance cruiser with 900 Mile cruise range on single fill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfMiHgBFM0
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:28:19 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
What a great installation!  Does the ECU control the transmission as well as the engine? 
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

gregaba

• View Profile
That is a really nice truck.
I just don't care for the looks of the modern engines much.
I bet you will like it a lot when you get it on the road and drive it a while.
Greg

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
What a great installation!  Does the ECU control the transmission as well as the engine?

Thanks!

This version has separate PCM for transmission. Stock FoMoCO.  Later versions have engine/trans same pcm

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
That is a really nice truck.
I just don't care for the looks of the modern engines much.
I bet you will like it a lot when you get it on the road and drive it a while.
Greg

Thanks!

It was hard to beat the 482" FE in the looks and sound department but having 10 Different 65-66 Trucks I simply did not want FE's in all of them. This is my long distance cruiser and it had to have very long range between fill ups and quiet and smooth with excellent power and MPG.  At a total cost far far less than a decent FE deal with overdrive etc.

Pretty hard to get this much power/torque from a FE anywhere near the cost.

It would have to be one very serious FE and Big$ to make 600 RWHP 600+ RWTQ much less 600 TQ by 3500 rpm

It will cost me a BUNCH more $$ just to build a very basic 393 FE, add overdrive etc than this package did.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 10:17:08 AM by TimeWarpF100 »

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Quick video from today. Full walk around with engine running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I7K7AEHUbU

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
Oh man that is so cool!!  I love the attention to detail.  That will be so great to drive  :)
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

TomP

• View Profile
Beautiful job of the dash and engine compartment getting all that stuff to fit in. Aren't these newfangled trannies all electronic shifting,  lever on the side of the tranny? If so what did you do to be able to use the stock column shifter?

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Oh man that is so cool!!  I love the attention to detail.  That will be so great to drive  :)

Thanks much! This should be a fun long distance hauler and local daily driver.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Beautiful job of the dash and engine compartment getting all that stuff to fit in. Aren't these newfangled trannies all electronic shifting,  lever on the side of the tranny? If so what did you do to be able to use the stock column shifter?

Thanks much Tom!

It was originally cable shift. Lever on trans. I just made a rod very similar to the stock '66 shift rod. Works great!

P R N D M are only selections. I have a + - button for manual mode. I also have Select mode button for Towing, Economy, Sport (it will keep turbos spooled for track days)  It does have a TCM mounted to the frame. Stock on this model. newer once got PCM doing same job. Made my own harness for all this to work. So far so good. Still need to install the TPMS sensors in wheels so I can monitor that too.

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
Took it down to next side street just to make sure the trans shifted proper and to see how it felt. Had power steering line leak got it solved but bunch of air in system now gotta bleed itself out. 

Of into the Arizona Sunset!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6mAH7kDhc

Gregwill16

• View Profile
That is a beautiful truck. Great job!

allrightmike

• View Profile
Engine looks like it grew there! Had a new Lightning in 2020 and your installation reminds me of that. The Lightning was the only vehicle I regret selling. Nice, nice, nice job!
Mike.

cammerfe

• View Profile
Where did you find that new truck that looks like a '66? Sitting in the back at some dealer with a tarp over it? ;D

KS

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
That is a beautiful truck. Great job!

Thanks Much!