Author Topic: 63 Dodge max wedge clone  (Read 11115 times)

ToddK

• View Profile
63 Dodge max wedge clone
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
Sorry to pollute this forum with Mopar talk, but I thought I'd post about one of my other projects. When I was 17, back in 1982, I was looking through a copy of Car Craft which had a cut away drawing of a max wedge Polara. I had never seen anything as wild as that before, the crossram intake, those wild exhaust manifolds and exhaust cut outs, and all straight from the factory. Even though I was, and still am a Ford man at heart, that picture blew my mind and I knew at some point in my life I had to have one. I decided to build a clone car, as I couldn't afford a genuine one and I would like to drive it hard.

I bought a 1963 Dodge 330 2 door sedan a few years ago and had it shipped down under. It was a clean straight car that was still wearing it's faded original aqua paint, turquiose bench seat interior plus it was heater and radio delete, no power options - perfect for a super stock clone. I had the car stripped and repainted in original colour, interior retrimmed with original material from SMS and have used as many NOS or repro parts throughout. For the drivetrain, it has a pushbutton 727 that I've rebuilt and an 8 3/4" diff with 3.91 gears on a Truetrac. Rear suspension is MP superstock leaf springs with Calvert/Rancho shocks, front suspension is standard rebuilt with Calvert shocks. I'm using stock 15 x 5.5" steel wheels painted body colour with dog dish caps and Firestone G70/15 bias ply tires.

Now for the engine. The entire build for this car has been inspired by the Factory Appearing Stock Tire class racing you guys have in the US. I love the idea of a car that looks like it came off the showroom floor, but still runs really hard and fast. So I have tried to keep the engine and car looking as factory original as I can. I wasn't overly concerned with correct casting numbers, just wanted it to look correct. I'm using a 440 block, overbored 0.055" to 4.375" and a 4.25" stroke crank to give 511 cubes. For the heads, I bought a pair of 64 max wedge heads from evilbay, but only ever received one head. After many years of chasing the vendor and going through evilbay resolution, I ened up with one head. Great. So I decided to buy a pair of alloy heads from 440Source and had Jeff from MCH port them to max wedge size. These heads look very much like factory heads externally, so with a coat of paint, they will do the job. Plus they flow better and are lighter than factory heads. Intake is a repro crossram from A&A with a pair of original Carter 750cfm AFB's. Exhaust is a repro pair of cast manifolds feeding into a reproduction dual exhaust with cut outs. The engine ended up with 10.3 to 1 compression, so very streetable on 93 octane pump gas. Cam is a Comp solid roller using the XE street lobes, 252/260 at 0.050". Ignition is a factory tach drive electronic distributor firing a MSD 6AL, hidden under the dash.

The engine fired straight up on the test stand and ran in without problems. We then took it to an engine dyno for a day of tuning. We had problems with the carbs in that they were going very lean on the transition for the primaries to the secondaries opening, due to the AFB's not having a secondary acc pump like a Holley does. We over came that but increasing the primary jetting a lot, as you will probably notice on the dyno screen shot below. All along with this engine build, my aim was for the car to be able to run low 11 sec 1/4 mile times. For the weight of the car, I figured I would need about 530-550hp. I don't want to put a cage in the car, and over here we can run an 11.0 without a cage. So when we got the final tune and power numbers done, I was more than happy.

In case you can't read my crappy phone pic of the dyno screen, it made 613hp at 5800rpm and 637ft.lbs at 4100rpm. Note the torque at the start of the pull, 578ft.lbs at 3000rpm, in fact it doesn't drop below 500 for the whole pull. This is going to be one fun ride with those skinny G70's. In order to try and tame the torque a bit, I am using a converter that will stall at about 2800rpm. On the strip, I have a pair of M&H 7" cheater slicks, not sure how well they will work, but they will look the part. I guess I will have to drive it out of the hole, and hang on when I change to 2nd gear.

Right now I have the intake and water pump off to be painted, and am waiting on my converter. Then it will be engine install time. The fun begins.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: 63 Dodge max wedge clone
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:39:19 PM »
Thanks for posting, that motor is righteous!  I ran with one of those cars at Drag Week 2009, I think.  My pal HemiJoel runs a 67 GTX in FAST, he might be able to give you some tips on traction.  He has run in the 10s on G70-14 Redline tires.

If I wasn't a dyed in the wool Ford guy, I'd be a Mopar guy.  Hemi Cudas, 440 six pack Super Bees, and T/A Challengers are cool...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
When I was in high school, my buddy who had a 67 GTX 440 with 727 Torqueflite had the fastest and quickest car. Easily beat my 390 Mustang GT and another buddie's 396 Camaro in our informal street race competition!
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 11:04:57 AM »
Hey, very cool! I also dig old Dodge and Plymouth racers. Locally we have two original Hemi cars with standard dog dish capped steel wheels that most wouldn't give a second look at.....unless the hood is up!

Interested in how your plugs look cylinder-to-cylinder. When I was a teen, some locals ran the same one-piece 383-440 cross-ram intake and had fuel distribution issues galore ala' the FE Ford M/T style cross ram.

Although the pic is for a Hemi Rat Roaster 2-piece intake, the removable top allowed racers to experiment to fix these issues. Had the chance awhile ago to see the top off a very modern & top running 8.6 second SS Hemi Cuda intake and was amazed at how much effort (all from many $$$ hours on a flow bench btw!) went into expoxied or welded diverters, channels, dams, etc. to make the air fuel mixture even out.   

http://victorylibrary.com/graphics/intake-rr2.jpg

That team btw I'm told is now running Ray Barton's own new intake that has all the hard learned 'tricks' incorporated.  Don't know if he does a 440 intake like this one.

http://raybarton.com/parts/index.php/parts/intake-manifolds/rbre-hemi-manifolds/rbre-magnesium-hemi-crossram-manifold.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:20:04 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

afret

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:13 AM »
Nice car.  No expert but I think your car would behave better with more stall with that cam you have.  With a good converter, 4000-4500 stall works fine on the street and will let you run a higher idle speed without the car lurching in gear.  Car would run better when you take it to the track too.  You should be able to hook up pretty well with a 9 inch slick once you get things sorted out.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »
I'll see how the car goes with the tight converter. As I mentioned, I can only run an 11.0 before I have to put a roll cage in, which is not in the plan. So if I can achieve that with the 2800 stall and the 7" slicks, well and good. But I agree, it will run much better with a 4000 stall converter and 9" slicks.

There are a lot better intake manifolds available than the old factory crossram. Most of the guys in NSS use the Indy crossram. However, I want the factory appearance, so will accept the limitations of my manifold. I'll post what the plugs look like when I get home.

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 11:43:00 PM »
Nice work Todd. I dig the old Mopars too.

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 03:03:04 AM »
It's been a while, but finally got my Dodge to the finished stage (if they ever can be?). Usual problems chasing lots of niggly little things, and still haven't got it street licensed yet, although I have taken it out on a few cruises with a permit.

As you can see, I have had it down the strip. First time was at a test and tune event, with a set of 28x9 slicks it ran a best of 11.45 sec at 115mph, 60' was 1.65sec. That was through full exhaust and with the air cleaners on. Last Saturday, I ran it again at a street meet, but this time I uncapped the MW exhaust dumps, all else the same. It picked up a new pb of 11.22 sec at 119.5mph, 60' of 1.61 sec. According to the Moroso calculator, that's a gain of around 50hp. The car weighs 3760lbs with me in it.

Next time out I will swap the air cleaners for a set of velocity stacks that will seal to the hoop scoop openings, and see if the cold air will get me closer to an 11.0.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 06:23:48 AM »
Nice! The wheelie seems to indicate traction isn't a great concern. Using that 2,800 rpm stall convertor still? If so, a higher stall would get you to your 11.0 goal. Your next purchase, if you keep racing and pulling wheelies like that, will be a Dana 60 rearend!

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF11&ID=r481&Order=alphabetical&feature=&collection=&grouping=&category=Cars
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 06:54:18 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:32 AM »
Traction isn't a problem. I ended up using a custom built 9.5" converter, not sure where it stalls at. I will probably only go to one more race this season, then hopefully by next season my dedicated race car (FE powered) will be early ready.

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
Wow!  Beautiful machine with the brawn to back it up. Nice job.

I'm very much looking forward to watching the 422 Motorsports All Stars do their thing at various mid-Atlantic tracks this summer.
Michael

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 07:04:33 PM »
Very cool!! Didn't see this thread before.
I have to agree with Jay, If I wasn't a Ford man I'd be a Mopar guy. Lots of very cool cars, factory performance and cool engines. I wouldn't mind owning any number of Dodges/Plymouths, like the Cudas, Barracudas, SuperBees, Road Runners, GTXs, Chargers, Challengers....sheesh, what a list! Chrysler had it going on back then.

That is a seriously good dyno sheet. Nice stout numbers and a very nice healthy curve. Congratulations on a fine car!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

ToddK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 12:05:35 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. Although I am definitely biased towards Fords, and especially FE's, I can appreciate other brands of muscle cars. In the past I have owned a couple of Pontiacs, a Rambler and even (very briefly) a Chevrolet.

Here's a couple of vids taken at last Saturdays meeting.
http://youtu.be/L475m_c_vYA

http://youtu.be/zPV3CdHenag

http://youtu.be/qBLD-mY-Mr0

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 08:51:51 AM »
Very cool!

Being a car guy and not a named car guy I can appreciate the car and the work that went into it...................Cool stuff for sure! Looks like fun!

fe66comet

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:40 PM »
My stage 2 455 Buick engine has the same configuration. I ran two 650 rochester carbs on it in my 71 Riviera. Sold the car, kept the engine.