Author Topic: T-Stat Spacers?  (Read 1536 times)

CV355

• View Profile
T-Stat Spacers?
« on: May 23, 2021, 02:14:07 PM »
I need two 3/8" NPT water passage bungs for two separate sensors, and my Edelbrock intake only has one available (excluding dedicated heater core return).  Short of replacing this pretty billet t-stat housing, I am looking into thermostat housing spacers that have a single or dual 3/8NPT port.  However, I can't find any specific for FEs, - everything is SBC/BBC and Mopar. 

https://www.moroso.com/thermostat-spacer-brodix-hv-series-intakes-including-sbc-and-bbc-applications-63433/

Does anyone know where I can buy one of these to match the profile?  I'll design and machine my own if I have to, but I'd rather buy one if it's already out there.

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
Re: T-Stat Spacers?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 08:06:26 PM »
Anyone who wants to install an EFI system on their FE will most likely need an alternate place to plug in your temp gauge.  I made one of these myself because I couldn't find one.  Made from 1" Aluminum Plate, it goes before the the thermostat.  You'll need to replumb your heater hose connection to clear the new location of the upper Rad. hose with a 45* street elbow and a extension you can get from Summit.  I thought about makin up about 50 of these but I'll leave that up to JayB.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:12:27 AM by Ranch »

62Falcon390

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 05:31:20 AM »
great idea.that is really needed if you switch to efi using jays adapter.. i need one. guess i might need to make one myself
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 05:44:58 AM by 62Falcon390 »

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 07:08:35 AM »
Any reason you don't want to put a pipe tee in one of the holes?  The sensors won't care...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Ranch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2021, 08:13:08 AM »
Jay; I realize there are a few other ways to get around this.  But some of us have older cars that have few and far between accessories, so our engine compartments are wide open to what might look like a band aid treatment.  Hell i didn't need to cut my spark plug wires to custom length or use SS fittings, but I did. Must be all them years of being one of those picky Machinist, I guess.
Cut the general outside shape and roughed the hole on a waterjet then finished the rest on a knee mill.    I realize the FE had two sizes on their thermostat, this is the two inch one.  I've been retired so access to shop equipment is no more :(  I still got the drawing if you like but it would be a no brainer for you after seeing all the mind boggling things you've been up to. You've done some great work (not easy), but maybe you'd like to fill a nitch for the everyday FE guy thinking about EFI.
Just a thought :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:21:13 PM by Ranch »

Ranch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 12:23:42 PM »
Jay this is the 'Temp' gauge and not a pressure gauge. To get a proper reading shouldn't  the probe  be dipping into the coolant.  I think the Tee would just be an Air Trap and neither pickup would be reading correctly.

CV355

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 07:00:09 AM »
Jay this is the 'Temp' gauge and not a pressure gauge. To get a proper reading shouldn't  the probe  be dipping into the coolant.  I think the Tee would just be an Air Trap and neither pickup would be reading correctly.

That's what my concern was.  I have to give the EFI water temp sensor the priority, so I stuck it in the intake manifold so the probe will be submerged.  The Autometer temp sensor is currently in a non-ideal spot but it'll work for now until I get something else fashioned up

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 09:53:30 AM »
I've always preferred to use the factory thermostat housing with the cast in threaded bung. Much cleaner looking and looks factory, which it is. To use it on early intakes, a thin plate can be cut as a spacer to hold the larger thermostat in. It won't stick out far enough to interfere with the water pump/heater outlet.

This isn't the best picture, but you can see my temp probe in the thermostat housing. If you drill a small hole in the thermostat, which I think is always a good practice, the probe will get a good temp reading even if the thermostat hasn't opened yet, so you'll get a good signal for any EFI set-up.

The picture was taken before I removed my heater, so now that bung is plugged and could be used for something else.

Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 12:32:34 PM »

That's what my concern was.  I have to give the EFI water temp sensor the priority, so I stuck it in the intake manifold so the probe will be submerged.  The Autometer temp sensor is currently in a non-ideal spot but it'll work for now until I get something else fashioned up

I've used the tees for many years and have never had an issue, so I don't think that's a concern.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC